Am I the only one that likes the ability prunning?

General Discussion
I like it. We don’t need 20
Button rotations
I want shadowbolt spam back again :(
1 1 1 1 1 1 1 1 - repeat till boss is dead.
For variety, mana potion or lifetap every now and then.
No movement, just grind your gear outside of the raid.
10/22/2018 11:53 AMPosted by Hutta
You can still make bad decisions like not choosing the meta talent choices or playing an inferior spec. If anything, it's easier to make bad decisions now because you could get close to the cookie cutter builds in Wrath just by knowing the basics of your class and having common sense. I do miss a more diverse spellbook for sure.

Those bad decisions are larger choices over smaller choices, and even said bad decisions had a reason to be made in certain circumstances (Arcane Missiles on someone who was running around pillars, Fireball to keep a Rogue/Druid out of stealth, Frostbolt for the slow, etc).

Choosing the wrong talent or playing a less powerful spec isn't the same.
10/22/2018 10:16 AMPosted by Wigglebutt
Why do people complain about prunning? A lot of whats been removed was borderline clutter.

An MMORPG should be about being able to tailor your character to fit the needs at hand. Some of this is done by situational spells. We have no situational offensive spells now. Our attack rotations are 1,2,3,4, repeat. Or Worse. My attack rotation is 2,3,4,2,2,3,4,2,2,2,2,3,4. Every single battle. No deviation. If this was a top-down dungeon crawler or a MOBA, then you want a smaller toolbox. However, it is an MMORPG.

Take Guardian Druid for instance. I should have be able to focus damage on a single target without using AOE spells. I can't do that and have a full rotation in the current game. At the very least, I should have similar tools as other tanks do including either a ranged silence or a baseline gap closer.
10/22/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Espur
Those bad decisions are larger choices over smaller choices, and even said bad decisions had a reason to be made in certain circumstances (Arcane Missiles on someone who was running around pillars, Fireball to keep a Rogue/Druid out of stealth, Frostbolt for the slow, etc).

I think it's less "bad decisions" and that a broader array of abilities gave us things to use in niche situations.

Niche abilities are good. Bad abilities are bad. There's a difference.

A fire mage chucking a frost bolt for the snare is a niche ability with a purpose. It also was a backup for when you get an element locked or, back in vanilla, were up against an enemy immune to your damage.

Niche abilities gave things to play with, reckoning in the old Paladin tree was hilarious in PvP. Get jumped by a rogue, turn around and unload your saved up reckoning into their face.

It wasn't standard play, you probably shouldn't have won, but pulling this weird ability out of nowhere could give situational advantages utterly lost when the game is simplified to no longer have edge cases.
I want Death from above back

I love that ability
I love it, personally. I absolutely do NOT miss having a ton of abilities to try to balance on my bars, and it would be even worse now with all the non ability stuff I have on there.
Pruning is horrible. All the classes I play feel somewhat hollow now... It's not just key class abilities but some of those fun flavor ones that aren't even meant for combat. Not only that it doesn't feel like I'm progressing anymore... I feel exactly the same as legion and worse than every expansion before that.

I thought with pruning they'd be able to balance better but that clearly hasn't been the case.
I have mixed feelings. While arguably some classes feel okay in their current state others need a lot of work(such as those you mentioned). Others don't need much work but were still pruned a bit too much.

Like, aside from the GCD(which I hate for every class). Protection Paladins are in a okay spot for me, ability wise. Same goes for Brewmaster Monks. Blood DK is pretty good too.

Guardian Druids and Protection Warriors both are horrible IMO. Warriors primarily just suffer extremely bad from the GCD(Ignore Pain being removed from the GCD would fix a lot of their problems) but could also use another rotational ability, even if they just brought back Heroic Strike as filler. Guardian Druid's are horrible, Thrash and Swipe spam for everything, toss a Maul in here, a Moonfire there. Mangle on cd. Just giving them Rage of the Sleeper back as a talent(or baseline) would help a lot.

Vengeance....it's still a fairly fun spec but it's rotation and skillset need tweaking. Fracture is always used over Sheer(Shear?. spelling is hard)(unless using the turtle build, which is beyond boring). Immolation on cd. Spirit Bomb is heaps and bounds better than Soul Cleave, hell for all intents and purposes Soul Cleave is useless(again, unless using the turtle build). Vengeance in Legion was in a good place, not too many abilities but enough.

I dunno, I just don't think that reducing active rotational abilities down to 3-5 is really good for engaging game play. Likewise, I don't feel that removing symbolic or niche abilities is good since it dramatically lowers the skill ceiling. Symbiosis, Divine Intervention, Eyes of the Beast, Turn Evil, etc... Why remove all that? But I digress.

Change for the sake of change isn't always a good thing. Classes during MoP were perfect. Most classes during WoD were really great too. The saying "If it ain't broke, don't fix it" comes to mind. Doubly so when the "fix" breaks more things than it helps.

(this is my opinion obviously)

/end rant
This ain't it fam.
I prefer the classes with specializations rather then 36 different classes, and each with flavor/utility/situational abilities, as that made it feel more RPG-like. But thats just me.
I have said it before and i will say it again. I would rather have spellbook full of spells that I do not use over having what we have today. There is no flavor. I would rather have redundant spell to pick than none at all. Blizz is dead set on removing anything that even gives the appearance of RPG in this game...i swear it.
I like the pruning for the most part.
I enjoyed having to use my brain to learn and practice playing classes, especially in PVP.

I thought that after MoP it would have been fine to remove a few things but they took it way too far. They continued to prune after WoD and it hasn’t made any sense.

MoP had it right. Engaging rotations and a good selection of utility for every class. They could have stayed true to that design but they strayed a little too far from it.
Are there really people who like having to learn 50 keybinds to play the game properly? I suppose there are given all the "anti pruning" threads.
It is actually very sad that we have so few abilities now. I think next expansion we'll be down to 1 resource maker, 1 reason spender, 1 aoe ability, 1 defensive cd, 1 self heal and there will still be people defending it because they are about as good at this game as a banana.
I miss stance dancing.
I agree 100% OP. I still feel like I have too many “oh $&@#” abilities. Pruning was fine. I just think they need to re-evaluate the skill trees and make leveling feel rewarding again.
10/22/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Handsome
I agree 100% OP. I still feel like I have too many “oh $&@#” abilities. Pruning was fine. I just think they need to re-evaluate the skill trees and make leveling feel rewarding again.

You use pretty much every ability in your spellbook regularly. Which is bad design for an RPG.
It is actually very sad that we have so few abilities now.

If you take optional talents, most specs would still require about 25-30 keybinds.

I miss stance dancing.

Having to change stance before you can use an ability doesn't work well if you have bad latency.