Why would anyone set their Hearth to a non-capital city?

General Discussion
10/25/2018 02:41 AMPosted by Saithis
Maybe i'm missing something though...Any ideas? How can small towns become unique parts of your Hero's story without sacrificing valuable game-advantages?

I have over 10 “hearthstones”. I’m not a mage but I have several items as Tol Barad Tabards (it teleports you pretty much next to a portal to SW), guild rewards that teleport you to SW, ring that teleports you to SW, to Dalaran, necklace that teleports you to Dalaran, Daladan Hearthstone, Garrison Hearthstone, other teleporting tabards, wormhole machines, and so on.

This way you can easily set your hearthstone to whatever chill place devoid of hubs you want, as you’d still have many other teleporting material with reasonable and not so big cooldowns.

Or be a mage.
To have quick access to my ganking spot.

And when I am leveling a toon I always have my main set to have hearth set to where the are. You kill me I will spawn camp you for an hour.
Well, I have been leaving my hearth set for Boralus/Zandalar all expansion because I don't want to go to Dalara > Org > Zandalar every time I want to get back if I use my Dalaran HS. Or if I use my garrison one it's Garrison > Ashran > Org > Zandalar.

With that said, if I were going back to grind rep with a certain faction I would set my hearth there for the duration of my grinding there over how many weeks/months.

when I did Argent Tournament rep years ago for heirlooms on my rogue I used the Argent tournament tabard or cloak (I forget which) to teleport to AT grounds, then used my hearth to get back to Dalaran or whatever the current major hub was at the time (I went back and did the AT dailies to get tokens for heirlooms in probably Cata I think).

With that said, on my LOW level characters (less than 100) I AM setting my hearth for a central city/hub within a specific zone as I quest. Like Crossroads in Barrens, Menethil Harbor in Wetlands, etc. Because it would take longer to hearth to Stormwind and fly to my zone than it would to hearth to the hub in my zone. Then I just fly from that hub to Stormwind when I need to and hearth back when HS is back on cooldown.

I hadn't though of the guild tabards/cloaks that let you teleport back to Org/SW. I'll have to go buy a couple for my mains, as I find at least in Zandalar flying from the dock up to the portals is annoying and I'd rather just teleport to Org and then HS back to the inn by the docks.
10/25/2018 03:11 AMPosted by Dlaciabia
Because they're a mage. ;D
^
Mine is set to SPUD’s crash site ;)
10/25/2018 09:44 AMPosted by Zeropointt
10/25/2018 03:11 AMPosted by Dlaciabia
Because they're a mage. ;D
^
Mine is set to SPUD’s crash site ;)

Smart.
I have mine set to a town because garrison/Dalaran stones can get you to Great Seal and Org within 15 seconds. Setting my hearth to a capital city is redundant.
10/25/2018 04:26 AMPosted by Jamesfisk
You can use your garrison hearth

What good is this? The only portal I have in my Garrison is to Ashran. Why would I want to go there??
10/25/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Brocknor
10/25/2018 04:26 AMPosted by Jamesfisk
You can use your garrison hearth

What good is this? The only portal I have in my Garrison is to Ashran. Why would I want to go there??

Because Ashran has a portal to Orgrimar.
10/25/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Stupandas
10/25/2018 11:04 AMPosted by Brocknor

Because Ashran has a portal to Orgrimar.

What gave you that portal, the ogre thing?
There are so many cool unique towns that you can set to be your home...but they offer little to no in-game advantages...Capital Cities obviously give you portal hubs, somewhat centralized flightpaths, etc.
They give you different advantages. The big advantage to setting your hearth to a town is while questing to level. You can return to your quest hub more quickly.

So: I tend to do that on my shaman and mage alts. Shaman because they can return there even more often than normal because of their spell (more benefit), and mages because they don't need a capital city hearth because of teleport and portal spells (less cost).

It's also very fast to get to a capital if you have in your bags the stone for either a third level garrison or Dalaran, so even for other characters it's not as "costly" as it used to be.

On top of that, one of the research perks on our boats this time around is a special ability that makes it so blowing the flight master's whistle while at a flight master returns you to this expansion's capital. That can make it worth doing even for characters at the level cap, even after they're done questing.

A good candidate in this case is some location in the other team's zones. That way, use the hearth and you're in the zones for the war campaign, but immediately blow the whistle after taking a few steps to the flight master and you're at the capital in your own territory. Faster than the boat.
I set my hearth to the inn nearest wherever I am questing at the moment. I rarely need to go to a major city anyway. I just need a mailbox from time to time. Only after my character has reached max level do I set their hearth stone to a major city.

As it is, all of my characters have hearthstones to New Dalaran and their Garrisons. Plus my alts are all in a guild so they have a cloak that teleports them to Stormwind every two hours. On this character, I also have teleports to my shipyard, Old Dalaran, Timeless Isle and a few other places. Plus, I have my Dreamgrove teleport which gives me access to almost every continent.
So I was questing and fighting the Stone Golem today...and I saw a couple things I love about the game still....Towns!

There are so many cool unique towns that you can set to be your home...but they offer little to no in-game advantages...Capital Cities obviously give you portal hubs, somewhat centralized flightpaths, etc.

Drustvar is just one tiny example out of maybe close to a hundred different ideas...I mean just by stone golem is a wandering pair of Stags that have some druidic ties to them that also operate as a mobile / moving Innkeeper....But why anyone would set their hearth to them is beyond me - other than they're cool and the zone is unique...

Maybe i'm missing something though...Any ideas? How can small towns become unique parts of your Hero's story without sacrificing valuable game-advantages?

As a mage when you level you would be crazy to not use your hearthstone to the closest quest hub you are working on. Makes leveling go a little faster. Since you can port why waste your hearthstone on a major city?
Most of my toons have their hearth set to Sunsong Ranch - why? Because MoP is still producing gold while later xpacs have failed to do so. Ok so WoD was useful until about now, hexweave bags have finally crashed - by design, of course, to twilight WoD content... yet MoP still lives.

Halfhill forever! ?? (Please obsolete the content Bliz, do it!)
Why would anyone set their hearth?
I forgot to reset my hearthstone on one of my new lowbies (level 16) so she was still set to her original training area. Didn't realize it until taking a zep today and somehow got abandoned in Stonetalon Mountains! Haven't had that glitch in years.

I took advantage of the malfunction and got the flight point at Malaka'jin and Sun Rock Retreat while I was in the neighborhood. Thank God for my chauffeured hog so I could outrun all the level 20-22 dinos. lmao.
My Paladin health is still set to the paladin class hall or the Light's Hope Chapel inn. Through at this point I going set back to SW trade dis. Dalaran health can lead to paladin hall.
As a Mage I set my stone to wherever I'm currently questing, because I can just teleport around the world otherwise.
In Legion there was no point, I had Dal hearth.

In WoD there was no point, I had garry and shipyard hearth.

In fact I still have those, plus eng teleports, plus stormwind cloaks and old dal and new dal rings and black temple teleports and whatnot. I keep my hearth to Boralus, but if I had a Boralus hearth I'd definitely set my hearthstone elsewhere.
I always have my hearth set to where I am questing and use my SW guild cape when I need the main city.