Purge Squads are no more.

Story Forum
Prev 1 9 10 11 12 Next
10/28/2018 07:35 PMPosted by Murdra
10/28/2018 04:59 PMPosted by Grandblade
... "You call for peace when it suits you" is perhaps the dumbest sh!t I've ever heard someone in WoW say.

What about "DRAENOR IS FREEEEEE!!!!"? Has that already been topped?

I'm pretty sure WoD was a collective mass hallucination, caused by a 3 year content gap between MoP and Legion.

We may currently be in another one...
10/28/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Zamari
10/28/2018 03:38 PMPosted by Murdra
Is this what Blizzard meant when they said Anduin was a hypocrite?

Well, he's not.

Sylvanas's line to him about "war when it suits him" is meant to imply this, but it doesn't play out. Blizz tried to play the attack on Undercity being about the "Dignity of the King" or some such, but that vanished like a fart in the wind, because it made no sense and was never brought up.

What is said regarding the story, and what actually, visibly plays out without having to do lore backflips through helicopter blades? Two rather different things.

That said, I haven't seen much information on the real motive for going from "Lets skulk around Zandalar and disrupt/keep the Horde off balance" and "Attack the city." It is the most proactive thing the Alliance has done in... ever?

The attack on Zuldazar is now somewhat reactionary. Zandalari and Horde invade Boralus and kill dockworkers prior to Zandalar, which is what reaffirms Jaina's stance on it.
10/28/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Tewdee
The attack on Zuldazar is now somewhat reactionary. Zandalari and Horde invade Boralus and kill dockworkers prior to Zandalar, which is what reaffirms Jaina's stance on it.

hmm, not really i would say that the alliance were already planning the attack and planting bombs before 8.1.
is more or less proactive right?
that still don't explain why the hell talanji was captured in the first place.
10/28/2018 08:51 PMPosted by Etheldald
10/28/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Tewdee

hmm, not really i would say that the alliance were already planning the attack and planting bombs before 8.1.
is more or less proactive right?
that still don't explain why the hell talanji was captured in the first place.

1. Alliance is proactive but they were wavering on whether or not they should do it until the Horde reaffirmed their stance on the subject. While it does portray the Alliance as proactive, it sucks that they didn't just do it.

What should've been a moment for the Horde player to go "jeez look at how extreme the Alliance went on these third party Zandalari" was turned on it's head so Horde can't barely take inspiration from the moment.

2. Talanji was likely captured because she's Zandalari. After all, they were enemies of the Alliance and the Horde prior to BFA and Zul was one of the primary instigators of conflict
Oh god, we’re armless failures now
10/27/2018 01:17 PMPosted by Portergauge
Well, I'm happy they realized that sending a Purge Squad towards the race with a bunch of gypsy visuals wasn't the best idea.

Yeah that should of never made it in game.
10/28/2018 05:24 PMPosted by Jerolan
10/28/2018 03:22 PMPosted by Carmageddon
So here's my question to you: why does this need to be a Horde failure? Ever since Mists of Pandaria, literally every altercation the Horde has had with the alliance has led to the Horde failing.
Careful reaching like that, you're going to hurt yourself.

Feel free to prove me wrong, using the reasoning of the person I was responding to.
Quick note, alongside the Sandwalker Vakaara NPC datamined, the totem she describes in her alleged dialogue has ALSO been datamined:

https://ptr.wowhead.com/npc=149310/sandshock-totem

The model is that of a draenei totem, reinforcing that Vakaara gives it to you. Not giving full stock to that photo until it's fully proven, but... things appear to be lining up that way.
10/29/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Grandblade
The model is that of a draenei totem, reinforcing that Vakaara gives it to you. Not giving full stock to that photo until it's fully proven, but... things appear to be lining up that way.

I mean, did you ever have any doubt that things would go the way of justifying the Alliance position?
10/29/2018 05:22 PMPosted by Jellex
10/29/2018 05:18 PMPosted by Grandblade

I mean, did you ever have any doubt that things would go the way of justifying the Alliance position?

People seemed pretty adamant that the original screenshot was datamined. At the time I'd thought that it could be. Now I'm wondering if it was just people desperately clinging to the hope that the Alliance was doing something morally gray. I mean, as I said before, perfectly fine with, 'Purge Squads,' just let me aim them at the Horde.
10/29/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Alurna
10/29/2018 05:22 PMPosted by Jellex

People seemed pretty adamant that the original screenshot was datamined. At the time I'd thought that it could be. Now I'm wondering if it was just people desperately clinging to the hope that the Alliance was doing something morally gray. I mean, as I said before, perfectly fine with, 'Purge Squads,' just let me aim them at the Horde.

To be clear though, the horde side version of the quest, the portion with the 7th legion despoilers, IS still morally grey. Though their target is legitimate, it looks very close to a group of soldiers now going beyond the remit of their orders. Like, if those troops were in the real world there would be hell to pay.

The target may be legitimate, but the Horde absolutely is still in the right to take action against that unit.

On the topic of divergent realities, I wonder if this is a case of what happens when the PC is NOT there. Aka the Alliance PC keeps the op clean, where as in the Horde side (where there is no Alliance PC), the 7th Legion troops go beyond their remit?
10/29/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Saiphas
On the topic of divergent realities, I wonder if this is a case of what happens when the PC is NOT there. Aka the Alliance PC keeps the op clean, where as in the Horde side (where there is no Alliance PC), the 7th Legion troops go beyond their remit?
That's kind of how I saw the Astranaar questline. When you go in with Lorash, you only take out guards (hopefully). But when you go there as Alliance, every civilian has been executed and there's Forsaken assassins all about now that the rest of the Horde was elsewhere.
*Sighs* I knew they would find a way to baby the Alliance in this. I called it back when we first saw this and well...yeah you get the idea:

Yeah...its time. But don't worry, I'm sure there will be a tweet sometime in the future where someone from Blizz states all those cute little foxes going up in flames was just a glitch and there was this cutscene that didn't make it in game where...hmm...we'll say maybe Shaw saw this portal and stepped through to hear...I don't know Graymane and Jaina plotting to steal some major WMD from the Horde and says 'Oh gee guys I don't think that's a good idea' to which they will tell him, 'If you want to live you'll go back through that portal and pretend you heard/saw nothing' which will totally justify everything so your still good guys. You know, just like good old Dalaran!

Okay maybe not exactly as I called it but pretty much same difference. Same justifiable b.s. different purge.
10/29/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Alurna

The problem with the idea of 'Purge Squads' being directed at the Horde is that it completely defeats the whole point of having the Alliance do something that counter balances the laughable distribution of villiany this expansion. Unless the Purge Squads are rounding up and burning children alive then it's just handwaved off like very other time the Alliance has done anything that supposedly the Horde is supposed to get upset about. The whole point of the Vulpira is that it wasn't justified.

Might as well just not bother if it is just going to be a repeat of what we got in the past. Half assed attempts to make the Alliance do 'bad things' annoy me more than them not doing anything at all.
I'm still wondering why on Azeroth whenever there needs to be some indiscriminate killing done... it's never the Death Knights.

I mean, c'mon, they're addicted to causing pain to the point of feeling pain themselves if they don't do it after awhile....

Nope, we'll just send in folks who make ZERO sense (mages and shamans).

I'll miss "Purge Squad" though... the title made me chuckle.
10/29/2018 12:12 AMPosted by Carmageddon
Feel free to prove me wrong, using the reasoning of the person I was responding to.
I'm tired of trying to convince Horde babies that they win as much as they actually do. I'll just let you have this one.
So it seems like this event is another one of Blizzard's exciting lies this expansion to make the players angry at eachother. Alliance are still purging innocents Horde side, but are just wagging their finger at them Alliance side.
10/30/2018 10:45 AMPosted by Hahahahahaha
So it seems like this event is another one of Blizzard's exciting lies this expansion to make the players angry at eachother. Alliance are still purging innocents Horde side, but are just wagging their finger at them Alliance side.
There's actually a solid post about this right now on the front page of r/wow, talking about how Blizzard is taking the "easy way" with faction pride. Instead of writing a uniform story where both factions are given the same plot, they're just showing the other side being nefarious in their own contained quests. The narrative dissonance is getting really harmful for BfA's story.
10/30/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Grandblade
10/30/2018 10:45 AMPosted by Hahahahahaha
There's actually a solid post about this right now on the front page of r/wow, talking about how Blizzard is taking the "easy way" with faction pride. Instead of writing a uniform story where both factions are given the same plot, they're just showing the other side being nefarious in their own contained quests. The narrative dissonance is getting really harmful for BfA's story.

Not to mention making our discussions here rather difficult. You know how there is perspective dissonance over the purge of Dalaran?

Well, now we're seeing two full blown different things.

Sometimes, both these could be true. Ethical commander orders investigation of camp, psychotic, misinformed, or panicked sub commander annihilates camp, for example. Or reverse it, the commander it a nut, orders wiping the camp out, and the local commander carries out the order in such a way as to avoid atrocity.

Other times, they can't. And it is going to be impossible to resolve in these discussions, where it is frequently already unlikely to be resolved.