BlizzCon 2018 Expectations & Security Updates

General Discussion
Hey guys! Just wanted to take some time to set some expectations ahead of time when it comes to all of the announcements and discussions when it comes to what we’ll be talking about at BlizzCon this weekend, as well as remind everybody of some changes when it comes to security this year for attendees.

As you all are probably aware, we’ve been hard at work on the upcoming Tides of Vengeance content update. We are very excited for this update and it is very much our immediate focus and will continue to be until after we’ve delivered it to you all. At BlizzCon you’ll be hearing us talk mainly about what comes after Tides of Vengeance. We do plan on discussing some of it, but as many of you know, BlizzCon is where we typically talk about longer term goals and plans. The feedback you all have given us about Battle for Azeroth is something we are very grateful for and we can’t wait for you to experience everything coming with Tides of Vengeance.

For those at home on the Virtual Ticket, please let us know what you think about all the things we share that are upcoming for World of Warcraft.

As for the security updates I mentioned earlier, we recently posted a blog on the BlizzCon site that I want to mirror to increase awareness. We’ve enhanced our security this year so I want to make sure to mention that you guys should look at arriving earlier than previous years especially if you’re wanting to catch the opening ceremony live on Friday.

As for the measures we’ve added Metal Detectors as well as Bag Checks at every point of entrance this year. For any additional information about locations of entrances, ADA accessibility, cosplay check-ins, and restrictions, please check out the post on the BlizzCon site about the updates to the usual processes this year:
https://blizzcon.com/en-us/news/22564764/blizzcon-2018-entry-points-update-be-sure-to-arrive-early

For those who are coming out to Anaheim for the show, we look forward to meeting you and spending the weekend geeking out with you.

Enjoy the show everyone!
10/30/2018 12:11 PMPosted by Ythisens
For those who are coming out to Anaheim for the show, we look forward to meeting you and spending the weekend geeking out with you.

Looking forward to seeing you again too!

Also, the expectations are appreciated, we've had a lot of talk about stuff that's already on ptr, it'll be cool to see what comes up later rather than rehash what was shown in a Q&A or something already.
Its weird to me its ten dollars more and every franchise is trying to keep expectations low.
Ythisens,

Will we be allowed to enter the convention center with refillable (non-plastic) water bottles?

In past years it has always said in the rules that you can only bring plastic water bottles into the show, but security never enforced it. I always carried in a Hydro Flask water bottles and filled it up once inside.

Will this be permitted this year?

Thanks
I really hope Blizzard talks about Warcraft's future or gives us some insight as to how things are going to be moving forward because I think you guys dropped the ball with bfa.
As pretty as it is and its music astounding, class and character progression is the heart and core of any game, and in my opinion they aren't doing that well.
10/30/2018 12:46 PMPosted by Loeroth
I really hope Blizzard talks about Warcraft's future or gives us some insight as to how things are going to be moving forward because I think you guys dropped the ball with bfa.
As pretty as it is and its music astounding, class and character progression is the heart and core of any game, and in my opinion they aren't doing that well.

We do plan on discussing some of it, but as many of you know, BlizzCon is where we typically talk about longer term goals and plans.
10/30/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Dvis
10/30/2018 12:46 PMPosted by Loeroth

We do plan on discussing some of it, but as many of you know, BlizzCon is where we typically talk about longer term goals and plans.

If you've ever watched blizzcon you know they only talk about long term goals for expansion, not the future.
10/30/2018 01:19 PMPosted by Loeroth
10/30/2018 01:09 PMPosted by Dvis

If you've ever watched blizzcon you know they only talk about long term goals for expansion, not the future.

Yeah, we'll prolly see info on Patch 8.2 and maybe a glimpse of 8.3? Kinda like they did the year before with 7.2 and finishing up saying "Yeah, we're going to Argus"
As for the security updates I mentioned earlier, we recently posted a blog on the BlizzCon site that I want to mirror to increase awareness. We’ve enhanced our security this year so I want to make sure to mention that you guys should look at arriving earlier than previous years especially if you’re wanting to catch the opening ceremony live on Friday.

As for the measures we’ve added Metal Detectors as well as Bag Checks at every point of entrance this year. For any additional information about locations of entrances, ADA accessibility, cosplay check-ins, and restrictions, please check out the post on the BlizzCon site about the updates to the usual processes this year:
https://blizzcon.com/en-us/news/22564764/blizzcon-2018-entry-points-update-be-sure-to-arrive-early

Oh dear. Is the next allied race for the Alliance going to really be that bad...?
10/30/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Vandren

Oh dear. Is the next allied race for the Alliance going to really be that bad...?

Confirmed, next allied race is the original Jubling model.
So regarding all of this, there are some rules pointed out for props for cosplay this year and that melee weapons are okay. But is my foam crossbow going to be acceptable?
Will Horde players be subject to increased bag checks? I think anyone displaying any Sylvanas gear should be checked for matches!

Just in case you know.
10/30/2018 02:49 PMPosted by Menard
Will Horde players be subject to increased bag checks? I think anyone displaying any Sylvanas gear should be checked for matches!

Just in case you know.

Nah we will be fine, I hear that Wowhead might be having a bonfire so it should hold us over.
10/30/2018 01:19 PMPosted by Loeroth

I realize this. But it's fun to use their official responses against them when it later turns out they didn't do what they said they would.
Hopefully this will keep everyone safe at Blizzcon this year, but hope to not get treated as a criminal, like sometimes happens, I would never harm another human in any way, unless they force me to self defend my self when they trying to hurt me.

I respect all humans, no matter the skin color, gender, religion!
And against guns in every way!
At BlizzCon you’ll be hearing us talk mainly about what comes after Tides of Vengeance. We do plan on discussing some of it, but as many of you know, BlizzCon is where we typically talk about longer term goals and plans.

Is one of those plans adding ducks to Azeroth?

#LackOfQuack
10/30/2018 01:54 PMPosted by Vandren

You’ll take your second human race and you’ll like it, now finish your liver and onions.
Last year I got there about an hour early on opening day and I was still in "line" (if you could call it one) about halfway down the plaza. Getting there earlier isn't going to help anyone when the end of the line will end up being close to street. Getting there just before dawn and having to sit there until the doors open also doesn't work because of the lack of seating. You might as well tell people to bring their own chairs. I was laughing when I saw a guy last year with a camping chair while we waited to get in. I didn't realize his wisdom until we were standing for an hour. While my feet were already killing me, this guy was just chilling on his chair. So don't tell people to get there early unless you're actually going to provide adequate seating for those that do get there early.

Also, last year I read we could take in a water bottle. I got to take it in the first day only to get told the second day I couldn't have it. I had to throw it out. Thankfully it was a plastic water bottle but still. Make sure your security people know that a water bottle is allowed to avoid the issue I had last year. I didn't much appreciate having to throw my bottle out.

Speaking of seating and no water bottle, I said it last year, but consider adding seating to the store line. I waited over an hour last year to get through the line to buy my souvenirs. I wasn't happy by the end because my feet hurt and I was sweating to death. I'm hypoglycemic. Losing my water bottle meant I couldn't have any kind of drink with me to help me avoid potentially fainting, and I didn't think the line would last as long as it did as there was no time estimate shown anywhere (which would be useful). You really only get an estimate once you get to the end which is pretty worthless after you've already been in line for an hour. If I had known the line was going to be that long, I would have bought my stuff online ... although I had tried that. The stupid app wasn't working for me at the time. Once I got out of the line and got my stuff, I spent the rest of my second day of Blizzcon bee lining from seat to seat rather than trying to actually do anything. I literally got to watch a grand total of two panels my entire time at Blizzcon because I spent most of my time in lines ... and one of those panels was the opening ceremony. I ended up leaving early both days because of the crappy seating and my feet not being able to take any more standing. My brother had wanted to do the Overwatch demo, but I couldn't find a single chair anywhere nearby so I could sit down while he waited in line. So he ended up unable to do it since I wasn't about to go to another hall to sit leaving him by himself. I also wasn't about to sit on the floor and be stepped on because there weren't enough chairs.

As a Virtual Ticket owner I Feel left out. Do you guys plan to implement a way to check our bags virtually so we feel as though we could possibly be threatening?

It's somewhat emasculating to just be assumed to be a good guy just because I'm watching from the comfort of my own office/home.