You won't even make it to level 17...

Classic Discussion
Most people would spend an hour just getting to level 5 to leave the starting zones. Unless you're spam killing mobs non-stop, you probably won't even make it to level 17 in two hours... And good luck with trying to do that when the server shards are full and there is no shared tagging on mobs...
It starts at level 15 and goes to 19.
When the game is released though, yea its going to be pretty crazy getting mobs, the best route is to just group up for the congested areas.
Ahh, didn't know they were starting at 15 and going to 19. That's an even more laughable climb, unless they are temporarily lowering the xp needed per level. It used to take hours per level, hence Barrens chat.
11/01/2018 07:37 PMPosted by Threnoidion
Ahh, didn't know they were starting at 15 and going to 19. That's an even more laughable climb, unless they are temporarily lowering the xp needed per level. It used to take hours per level, hence Barrens chat.
Not everyone wants to rush to endgame. And it doesn't take hours to level at that point.
It's mostly to give people a better feel for the classes while not forcing them to go through all of the levels.

This is many of those that will try the demo may only do so within Blizzcon itself thus their time is very limited.

Secondly to do 1-12ish would require the starter zones of all of the races unless they wanted to limit what we could do. With this idea they only need to do two zones, get people started up with a decent feel of the class in beginning and then go from there.

As far as it being a climb. I think it's more or less a demo as stated. Allowing people to sample it. That said Watercooler seemed to hint that they are putting the demo out to get approval of how it is going so far while it is still early enough within development to make certain changes.
11/01/2018 07:43 PMPosted by Espur
Not everyone wants to rush to endgame. And it doesn't take hours to level at that point.

I think you are grossly underestimating how long leveling took back then. In case you never played vanilla, most people spent around 20 days /played to hit level 60.
I don't remember it taking hours to level even while I was clicking my action bar and back peddling while chatting

I heavily disagree.

15-19 takes a good bit of time especially considering you won't have access to the instances and there will likely be heavy competition for the mobs.
11/01/2018 07:46 PMPosted by Threnoidion
...Not everyone wants to rush to endgame. And it doesn't take hours to level at that point.

I think you are grossly underestimating how long leveling took back then. In case you never played vanilla, most people spent around 20 days /played to hit level 60.

Exactly.

I actually remember one day where I sat down, started a new character and did nothing but play WoW for about 16-18 hours straight. What lvl was I at the end of that? 19.

I remember it took awhile too, and it wasnt a breeze in the wind like it is now on retail, you got to actually experience the zones and the gear you had on. The other leveling speed bumps iirc began @30 and there was another one @50 where leveling speed slowed down even more.
I mean the demo will last for 6 days and even then the point isn’t to race to 19 that’s just dumb... it’s to test out what classic will look like
11/01/2018 08:01 PMPosted by Kinetics

I remember it took awhile too, and it wasnt a breeze in the wind like it is now on retail, you got to actually experience the zones and the gear you had on. The other leveling speed bumps iirc began @30 and there was another one @50 where leveling speed slowed down even more.

Spot on.

Yeah 30 was hectic. I actually used private servers to try and find an idea to keep quests in abundance.

While it may be annoying to some degree my primary idea atm is going back and forth between Duskwood and Wetlands constantly doing the quests that are lowest in level. In there this got me to like if I recall 32-33 or so when I was done. Which really helped me LOADS as far as maintaining a constant stream of quests in the lower to mid 30s.
11/01/2018 08:03 PMPosted by Nicho
I mean the demo will last for 6 days and even then the point isn’t to race to 19 that’s just dumb... it’s to test out what classic will look like

Yeah I find it very amusing seeing some people thinking (there was a thread on it lol) of being lvl 60 on like day 3 or 4. Yeah those who know exactly what they are doing will get there faster, but the rest of us who want to experience vanilla for vanilla... we'll take our time.
The limited time is there to hype the !@#$ out of everyone.
They will let you see something, but NOT as much as you would... blizzard has always been good at hyping their games
11/01/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Retlan
The limited time is there to hype the !@#$ out of everyone.
They will let you see something, but NOT as much as you would... blizzard has always been good at hyping their games

Everyone should know this. lol. Should.

BfA is an amazing example.
Much as my goal when WOW: Classic is released isn't getting to max level as fast as I can, I'm not super concerned with whether I can get to 19 on a character (or multiple characters).

I'm probably going to waste a lot of my time just enjoying the original game character models, doing emotes, exploring the Barrens top to bottom without a stupid chasm in the middle, seeing if the walls to keep us in still let us see the elevator to Thousand Needles, and more.

I don't have to choose to quest. I don't have to grind mobs. I can just go climbing to the very peak of that one hill/mountain that has a path up the side and look out over the expanse, lay back and look at the (BETTER BE DARK) night sky.

===

As for "limited time", the whole 60 minutes out of 90 works out to about 3 hours of game time for any 5 hours we have available. Even with an 8-5 job, I can probably manage around 50 hours total, which would be 30 hours /played IF they never took away the limit.
And it doesn't take hours to level at that point.
It takes anywhere from 1 hour to 1hour 40 minutes per level starting from level ~13.

Also depending on the class, you actually get weaker relative to mob health and damage each time you approch the X5-X9 range due to ability ranks being spaced out so much. When you first get a new ability rank they're actually overtuned for your level because they need to last you 6+ levels before you get the next rank.
11/01/2018 07:46 PMPosted by Dyvo
I don't remember it taking hours to level even while I was clicking my action bar and back peddling while chatting

I remember clearly, playing at least 7-9 hours a day, it took me nearly 4 days just to see Darnassus for the first time from start, not finish all starting zone quests, but to get my first quest into Darnassus, back in my original run. I was on a low population server, and I had started about 4 months prior to Burning Crusade. This meant I had no competition for quests, but it also meant no help for group quests as well. I was really noobish, had no idea about addons, and spent a few hours trying to find pink trees for a couple of quests, so I figure someone who knows what they’re doing can shave off about 6 hours... but on the downside, there will be a lot of competition for quests for quite some time after launch.

Take from it what you will.
From my own experience back in the day and on private servers.

1-10 = 3-4 hours
10-20 = .5-1hr per level
20-30 = 1-2hrs per level
30-40 = 2-3hrs per level
40-50 = 3-4hrs per level
50-60 = 4+hrs per level

Total /played to lvl 60 is 6-7days if you're a beast, 9-10days if you're average.
This is why people say "it takes months!" because for most people you need months of RL time to get in 10days of actual played time.