121k Viewers, Do Something With It

Arenas
11/03/2018 07:28 PMPosted by Abombanation
11/03/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Badhombre
Once they got rid of EU then viewership shot up.

Once they got rid of Rogue/Mage comps people got interested in some real PvP.

i think it was the fact that the warrior comps all got killed off
11/03/2018 11:38 PMPosted by Taurenpriest
People complaining the prize is low. Ok maybe, but I’ll take the 30k for 3-4 days work. Plus the players get free advertising for their channels, etc. they get paid for practicing if they stream the 30k is really just for the few days they played the tournament.

uhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh
11/03/2018 10:21 PMPosted by Nahj
More viewers than prize pool before divide by 4 and tax almost half.

Why do americans get taxed 30-51% on their winnings, what a joke.
People that keep saying this must not have been around. Viewership was literally the exact same all the way back to 2013 only the past 2 years have been less and thats because of legion and driving pvp into the ground.

I still have copies of live broadcast blizzcon 2013 with skill capped (chanimals sodah talb) pvp live dannycarey thug and novos competing showing a peak of 142k viewers on twitch and that wasnt even counting the whole blizzard tv live !@#$ they had back then so add another 20-30k im sure. The prize pool that year was $105,000.

Im sure everyone can agree with the time and effort put in over the course of the year as a player the prize pools are absolutely underwhelming in the days we have many games with multiple tournaments per year with a million dollar pool+. Unfortunately it is what it is and now with some coverage and people complaining about it plus the boetar interview maybe they will consider reworking things a bit to actually make it worth.
11/03/2018 07:10 PMPosted by Saydar
Aside from the actual gameplay this is the first time Blizzcon did an actually good job making a big deal about storylines (Cdew's redemption shot at Blizzcon, Pika vs. Whazz battle of MVP rogue, etc.), personalities, etc. Hype level was way higher as a result I think.

This, also the announcers were really on point this year. Very polished, very smooth. No super bad tech issues, and like you mention we actually got to find out more about the people in the tourny. Which does make a difference to the audience.

The entire thing was enjoyable to watch, I've had a lot of harsh critiques for the company over the last few months, but well done on the Arena Tourny. The only thing I'd say could change is the amount for 1st, perhaps open the purse strings a little more.
11/03/2018 11:38 PMPosted by Taurenpriest
People complaining the prize is low. Ok maybe, but I’ll take the 30k for 3-4 days work. Plus the players get free advertising for their channels, etc. they get paid for practicing if they stream the 30k is really just for the few days they played the tournament.

30k is nothing for the work you need to put into getting to where they are and the amount of luck and skill that comes into play. The chances of them winning are really low, even with their high amount of skill.

Ideally they should be getting 200-300k range (as a team).

11/04/2018 01:31 AMPosted by Longos

Actually it depends. It is taxed at your tax bracket, which for most of them is probably in the mid 20s to mid 30s.

But most of them are running this as a 'business' if they are smart and are doing it as an S-corp/LLC. Which means they can write off costs to participate (travel, 50% cost of food, etc), cost of 'doing business' (computer, their computer gaming chair, etc), they also get to deduct their 'office space' part of their home (though that isn't much since it takes little in terms of office space to game unless streaming is taking a larger space than average).

If they have a good tax accountant/CPA, they aren't getting hit too bad. They are paying less in taxes than you'd expect with the winnings and they still have time to 'reinvest' their winnings 'into their company' (upgrade their computer, get a new gaming desk, etc). If they have any 'debt' that their 'company' owes them, they can have the 'company' they own pay back its debt with these winnings.

Since Cdew already does streaming, he is probably already doing it through an S-corp/LLC, so he can run his prize money through that as part of his streaming business.

Name me 1 country that tax their citizen less than the US that is more prosperous than the US.

It’s all trade offs...the more tax you pay, the better roads u get, the better public infrastructure u get, the better education u get, etc
30k for a YEARS worth of grinding and that's for getting 1st place. Imagine getting 12th. There is no reason there isn't a way bigger prize pool. It is turning pros away to other games and you can't blame them.
EVerYoNe pLayS fOr ThE raIDs
For every competitive game the prize pool is correlated with the size of the fan base, and the fan base is correlated with the size of the player base.

The simple truth is that not a lot of people play arena in WoW. There is also nothing that can really bring in a large number of new players. The game is 15 years old. It is what it is at this point.

The winnings are nice, but the real value will be in twitch and YouTube subscribers and future oppportunities.
it helps that pikaboo and cdew are incredibly interesting personalities

get more involved with the players, and make sure the meta isnt a !@#$ing snoozefest. more rogues, more hunters, less warlocks, less warriors

Vote red
11/03/2018 08:34 PMPosted by Mervz
What exactly do you want them to do with it? It's near impossible to convert any significant number of those viewers to arena players due to the immense barrier of entry for WoW arenas.
Take this more seriously instead of treating it like the mini game it is. Balance it better and quicker instead of dragging their feet. DK/WW/Lock not receiving any buffs since day 1 is pretty disgusting.

The casters did a great job of hyping up TGC v MO, and it was great to get to see it during the grand finals. Someone said this time around was the most tournaments WoW has had, and they should keep it up. Make the upcoming tournaments more known/accessible. I think putting them on the launcher is a great tool to use. Make the UI more user-friendly, more spells on there.

There's plenty they could do to hype up these tournaments more. I had people that haven't played the game in years in Discord freaking out about it even though they didn't know what was going on. I explained the top and bottom spell differences to them, offensive and defensive. The casters did a great job explaining things too, as well as showing stuff on the screen in between breaks like trinkets and what they do.

I just meant take PvP more seriously, because clearly people are willing to watch it, even if it is confusing at first.