How Would You Feel About a Level Squish?

General Discussion
Honestly, I don't think it's a good idea. It seem to be coming up a lot more recently though. I can deal with the stat squish and the item level squish but an actual level squish doesn't sound like a good thing to me. It would feel like we're regressing rather than progressing.
Does it not feel like that now?
I would rather they just try their hand at making a new MMO and abandoning WoW. It's so old, I feel like in the longer term is would be a lot easier to build something new then trying to keep this game up to date.
I think it is warranted because saying "I am a lvl 120" just feels bad. saying you are lvl 43 sounds more overpowered than 120, just think of it in D&D standards. maybe thats just me tho, 120 seems too dumbly powerful for no grind
I cant see why we really need one, so long as they keep the time it takes from 0 to cap around the same i couldn't care less what they call it.
A level squish would be healthier for the game then ever getting as high as level 200.
They should cut it to 60. Delete the Cata revamp, and return to the Classic assets they are creating currently.

Of course, once Classic drops, retail is dead to me. So I’ll get 1-60 either way.
Let's do it. How bad could level squishing be?
I feel like we need one. Leveling 120 times just to get to 'starting point' for current content is...... grueling.
I would be pissed at having my levels regressed and that the devs wasted so much time on something so pedantic instead of something substantial

after that i'd be upset at all the problems/bugs it would cause just like the stat squish has.
11/04/2018 05:04 PMPosted by Mikazaki
Honestly, I don't think it's a good idea. It seem to be coming up a lot more recently though. I can deal with the stat squish and the item level squish but an actual level squish doesn't sound like a good thing to me. It would feel like we're regressing rather than progressing.

I don't like the idea at all. I have no idea why blizzard is scared of big numbers. If they wouldn't make the leveling experience so crappy, i.e. zone scaling this wouldn't even be an issue.

I imagine they have reports coming in now that the number of new characters being leveled up has dropped by 80% in the last six months and being the brilliant thinkers they are now all of sudden it comes to them it is too many levels that are the issue.
I've wanted this for a while. Just squish levels down to a cap of say 60 or some other number. Make scaling for level happen everywhere and just have end game or xpac specific progression take some other form. It's pretty plain from the current levelling scheme that there aren't enough talents/abilities for them to make the levelling process meaningful. Think about 110-120, what did those ten levels accomplish aside from wasting several tiers of ilvl that could be put to use elsewhere.

I think if they could nudge the scaling around to make it feel good they could put world quests throughout all zones to allow for unlocking older reps and transmogs and make the entirety of the game content feel a tiny bit more relevant at any level. And while it wouldn't be no work involved I'm sure that sort of change could be accomplished with much less work than a full on revamp ala Cata.
My concern isn't so much a matter of "would it fix leveling?" as much as it is a question of "would it only address a symptom of a much larger issue?" Lots of people are complaining about a number of different issues. So let's say that a lvl squish was the best course of action to fix leveling. That doesn't mean that the new leveling system would work within the context of the rest of the game. It could very well be that leaving the system as is, is the best course of action and that the other systems that are tied to leveling need to change. I know Ion said he was interested in hearing feedback on the issue, but unless we know what Blizzard is willing to do, it's difficult to give targeted feedback.
11/04/2018 05:10 PMPosted by Wrizby
Let's do it. How bad could level squishing be?

It's not like we would even be missing that much as the levels we get abilities could just be fit into that level range, and it's not like we are going to be getting any more talent rows, or non temp abilties that will be taken away the next expansion. There wasn't really any point in having us level to 120 this expansion as it is.
Insufficient information. There are dozen different ideas floating around that could all be equally called a "level squish".
11/04/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Hnetu
I feel like we need one. Leveling 120 times just to get to 'starting point' for current content is...... grueling.

They could simply speed up the process instead of squishing levels though. Plus, if they actually do a level squish, they'd have to re-scale everything in the world from zones to dungeons and raids.
World of Squishes is what this game is becoming. The instant we get level squish is the instant I quit. With nothing permanent in progression no matter the perception of how its illusion is presented to me tells me the game doesn't care to keep that sense around anymore.

I have stomached both of the Stat Squishes, I grudgingly accepted them. I accept the to level xp squishes over the years as they don't do much for me at all. I am super cranky about ability squishes (Prunes for those of you who like that term). But a Level squish is the straw that broke the camel's back for me.
11/04/2018 05:17 PMPosted by Mikazaki
11/04/2018 05:11 PMPosted by Hnetu

They could simply speed up the process instead of squishing levels though. Plus, if they actually do a level squish, they'd have to re-scale everything in the world from zones to dungeons and raids.

They have already done this and can easily do so again.

Sure, the idea of squishing the level sounds weird and would definitely take some adjusting but if people honestly can't see the harm it does for newer players they aren't looking at this with open minds.

I would never start playing a game if I had to lvl 200+ levels, doesn't matter how easy they make it. It's daunting from any outside source, I think it's obvious there will be one eventually.
Just lock the levels at 120 and replace subsequent levels with reputation. Unlock new abilities/talents at friendly, honored and so on. Once exalted with these factions new "end game" factions open up with a few additional carrots and sticks.

You keep the rpg element and end the numerical levels. You still level in a sense just not the traditional way. Then the only thing they'll need to squish will be stats every few expansions (if it makes it that long).
11/04/2018 05:20 PMPosted by Solistrae
World of Squishes is what this game is becoming. The instant we get level squish is the instant I quit. With nothing permanent in progression no matter the perception of how its illusion is presented to me tells me the game doesn't care to keep that sense around anymore.

I have stomached both of the Stat Squishes, I grudgingly accepted them. I accept the to level xp squishes over the years as they don't do much for me at all. I am super cranky about ability squishes (Prunes for those of you who like that term). But a Level squish is the straw that broke the camel's back for me.

Yup, it's this attitude right here that hurts the game the most.

Again, absolutely no care or whim for outside viewers and new players, all for just a number.