RW + PoF + ERW

Death Knight
I know several weeks/month ago Blizzard made a comment about classes that have an abundance of activation skills with limited/no other function than to provide a buff and they were going to address them.

We've seen several iterations on the PTR at this point with no changes to these types of skills. We've seen them remove the GCD from Ignore Pain for Warriors. But have they given any additional information on other class abilities and in particular Remorseless Winter, Pillar of Frost, and Empower Rune Weapon?
I think remorseless winter should be left out of that list personally. It'd be like asking for a frost mage's frozen orb to be off cooldown just because it's not direct damage. It just doesn't really fit along the same guidelines as PoF or ERW which are both buffs with no actual damage components, imo.
I'd agree with that so long as skills like Frost Nova remain on the GCD.
11/05/2018 10:35 AMPosted by Atherakhia
I'd agree with that so long as skills like Frost Nova remain on the GCD.

Then it sounds like we're in agreement :D

Now to actually weigh in on the matter at hand: I think it would be nice if they followed through on what they said, and obviously QoL improvements will always feel good, but obviously this ends up being a bit more complicated than being just a QoL improvement, there's also gameplay and balance implications.

That being said, I think that for frost DK in particular these types of non-damage offensive buffs being on the GCD is a particular hindrance. I'd argue that the DK resource is probably the most difficult to manage at the moment, at least from my experience.

And in said resource system, we're constantly filling our time by spending one resource type to generate another. On a class where if you don't maintain a steady flow of runes->runic power and runic power-> runes, it could mean the matter of life and death. Literally. At least in pvp; A slight misstep in resource management can often mean the inability to use death strike when you really need it. (Side note, the buff to death strike will help with this a bit)

Or even just within the rotation, not correctly managing the flow of your resources can often disrupt the flow of your damage overall, and having to stop that flow of resources by using a global cooldown that spends neither runes nor runic power can be a pretty noticeable disruption in that damage. And it's really not a good feeling.

Whether or not non-damage based offensive buffs overall across all classes being off the GCD is a good thing or a bad thing, it's hard to say, I honestly don't know. But as a frost DK, it feels particularly bad with the way we work. I imagine its a bit similar for UH, but at least theyre like...summoning stuff or something..... with their big offensive cooldowns.
Utility and Defensive cooldown are the ones being looked at current. Death Grip was metioned to be removed from the GCD. Personally, I say get rid of PoF and give the strength back to us. That way, we have less to worry about.
11/05/2018 10:53 AMPosted by Vitálus
Utility and Defensive cooldown are the ones being looked at current. Death Grip was metioned to be removed from the GCD. Personally, I say get rid of PoF and give the strength back to us. That way, we have less to worry about.

Can't agree on just getting rid of PoF, I think it's fun to manage and would probably get a bit bored without it. Especially when you add in Obliteration and Icy Citadel to the mix, things get super spicy. Very fun imo. This is for pvp though, for pve I guess you're a bit more restrained by what's the absolute top simming.
POF on the GCD is cancer... like does blizzard even play this game... how could they not understand how horrible this feels...
Death grip and dark transformation, death pact, and amz should be off gcd
Bumping this for a blue follow-up on the issue. This was mentionned by Ion himself as something they don’t want for the game when he talked answered questions from the community.

PoF off the gcd only makes sense!
PoF and hungering both deserve to be off GCD as the effects they provide demand instant utilization. PoF especially due to the low duration and strength gain being delayed by it's own GCD.
Unholy has it worse in this regard for years and there seems to be no sympathy on this matter from Blizzard at all.

remember Obliteration is no longer a CD, and BoS is not used in the same way of alot of other DPS cooldowns. while Frostwyrms fury is used more as an execute than a opener (blizz why does this still suffer from the legion pvp tuning and do 80% less dmg in PvP, along with Cold heart talent ... like really).

Horn of Winter and Empower Rune Weapon however should be off the GCD since they are resource generators and not strickly direct dmg abilities.