Behind the Scenes M.O. - Cdew

Arenas
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1TWvmhhdGAs&feature=youtu.be&a=

Some very cool behind the scenes lead up for Method Orange.
people are going to take this the wrong way as they just want bash /discredit but honestly using clever in game mechanics to better your chances is done in multiple wow tournies and multiple other games. Its not like he was hacking or anything. It wasn't even exploiting. Should it not be in the game probably but thats more on blizzards end. Cdews and his teams work ethic was insane and their play was very good. His win was well deserved and a long time coming. I'm more impressed and like him more for going into detail and explaining what his team did to help secure his victory. Mad respect to him and huge congrats on that win.
11/05/2018 05:10 PMPosted by Caperx
using tools to better your chances

Wut?
11/05/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Meleelock
11/05/2018 05:10 PMPosted by Caperx
using tools to better your chances

Wut?
Like stacking haste gear and going troll in the starting room to get to 11 stacks with Innervate, then swapping back to your other gear. Maybe stacking the Earth Elemental traits, popping the elemental before the gates opened, then swapping back so it goes from hitting 5k to 80k out of the gates.

I think this alone shows the huge difference between TR and Live.
11/05/2018 05:39 PMPosted by Efx
11/05/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Meleelock

Wut?
Like stacking haste gear and going troll in the starting room to get to 11 stacks with Innervate, then swapping back to your other gear. Maybe stacking the Earth Elemental traits, popping the elemental before the gates opened, then swapping back so it goes from hitting 5k to 80k out of the gates.

I think this alone shows the huge difference between TR and Live.

That's not a tool though, that's gaming the system. By saying "using a tool to increase your chances" it sounds like he downloaded extra software or something, I was so confused
thats my bad wording then I guess. I fixed it
11/05/2018 06:00 PMPosted by Caperx
thats my bad wording then I guess. I fixed it

Ah, solid. Thanks for clarifying
My only issue with what they were doing is if it were PVE, like a world first boss kill (which blizzard says means absolutely nothing to them) the whole guild would have been banned for "abusing game mechanics".

I guess clever use of game mechanics gets you banned in PVE but trophies in PVP. /shrug
11/06/2018 12:09 AMPosted by Ryoshimata
My only issue with what they were doing is if it were PVE, like a world first boss kill (which blizzard says means absolutely nothing to them) the whole guild would have been banned for "abusing game mechanics".

I guess clever use of game mechanics gets you banned in PVE but trophies in PVP. /shrug
I thought the same thing to be honest... but after the tank trinkets in that one tournament... it's kinda hard to pick and choose what is exploiting and what isn't... It just seems like Blizzard doesn't really think anything through anymore, and it allows for gaping design flaws to happen.

I don't know if anything they did would qualify for DQ, as the azerite traits they used were legitimate traits... Triggering it from the starting room was a bit shady, but it's still a trait they'd be able to make use of that was obviously ridiculously overtuned. Props to them for figuring that stuff out... but yeah... it does seem pretty exploity to me as well.
11/06/2018 12:18 AMPosted by Fox
11/06/2018 12:09 AMPosted by Ryoshimata

I thought the same thing to be honest... but after the tank trinkets in that one tournament... it's kinda hard to pick and choose what is exploiting and what isn't... It just seems like Blizzard doesn't really think anything through anymore, and it allows for gaping design flaws to happen.

I don't know if anything they did would qualify for DQ, as the azerite traits they used were legitimate traits... Triggering it from the starting room was a bit shady, but it's still a trait they'd be able to make use of that was obviously ridiculously overtuned. Props to them for figuring that stuff out... but yeah... it does seem pretty exploity to me as well.

If it was meant to work that way it would be clear. Obviously it wasnt intended to be used in that fashion. I dont know, i love Cdew, been subbed to him for ages but if you tell people you figured out a way to cheese abilities to start with a huge advantage you kind of have to be expecting some backlash. But like i said, if this was a world first boss kill and a guild figured out a way to stack a buff and all their dps gets a 5k dmage boost or whatever, the results would have been extremely harsh. Whole guilds have been banned for less.
they put in the work and every single other team could have and did not

this was a cash tourney and you use everything within your power that is within the framework of the rules to cash that 1st place check

and just so everyone is clear every team was using tons of "interesting" strategies / gear choices / etc.. the only difference is they aren't going to put it on twitch/youtube.\ for you to see.

they were the most prepared and they played out of thier minds and crushed every team they faced outside of a competetive series against MB.

tldr' they were the best team by a pretty wide margin and won because of it. tone down the salt and appreciate the greatness.
11/06/2018 03:20 AMPosted by Trafficz
they put in the work and every single other team could have and did not

this was a cash tourney and you use everything within your power that is within the framework of the rules to cash that 1st place check

and just so everyone is clear every team was using tons of "interesting" strategies / gear choices / etc.. the only difference is they aren't going to put it on twitch/youtube.\ for you to see.

they were the most prepared and they played out of thier minds and crushed every team they faced outside of a competetive series against MB.

tldr' they were the best team by a pretty wide margin and won because of it. tone down the salt and appreciate the greatness.

Honestly they just out comped and out cheesed their way to victory in the toury sure they're good players but its scummy none the less.
11/06/2018 03:38 AMPosted by Survïvalïst
Honestly they just out comped and out cheesed their way to victory in the toury sure they're good players but its scummy none the less.

thats literally every tourney every single year what are you even talking about

do you know why before every series the casters talk about how incredibly important the blind pick is?

because if you win you get to counter comp/map your opponent as the series moves forward

the only teams that dont countercomp are the ones that are too lazy/not good enough to develop enough comps

its super obvious you dont like dew and you are most likely a pika fan we get it

but try to be at least 1% objective yikes
11/06/2018 12:30 AMPosted by Ryoshimata
i love Cdew, been subbed to him for ages but if you tell people you figured out a way to cheese abilities to start with a huge advantage you kind of have to be expecting some backlash.

I give him a thumbs up for figuring it out. Isn't that what gaming is about in an RPG? He spent countless hours figuring out best gear, stats, comps and any way possible to get an advantage to win. That isn't exploiting that is being a Gamer and a Professional Gamer at that.

I don't know when if you figure out something cool that gives you an edge became "cheesy" instead of brilliant? What he did was brilliant and the fact is the other teams played less and were less brilliant. M.O. came up with brilliant uses of the gear and how to use it by hiding it from their opponents which is called strategy.

The best players in the world know how to get the most out of the Gear they have access too and will use that to get an advantage. That is why they are the best. That is why they do more damage everything is flawless from Gear to Gameplay. That is why they are on the stage and why they end up with a trophy instead of the Arena forums.
I'm not much of a big Cdew fan these days tbh and I'm happy he won, but lets be real. The other teams could have done the same thing. From gear to comps, everyone has access to the same stuff. Cdews team was just more prepared.
it's kinda hard to pick and choose what is exploiting and what isn't...
Not really, I think you need to look up what an exploit is. Using different gear sets its not exploiting is called being smart.
Cleaver usage of game mechanics for sure, but doesn't change the fact that the "mechanics" are broken af... Gratz to MO for figuring out all these tricks and put them into play!
11/06/2018 06:02 AMPosted by Torren
I'm not much of a big Cdew fan these days tbh and I'm happy he won, but lets be real. The other teams could have done the same thing. From gear to comps, everyone has access to the same stuff. Cdews team was just more prepared.

Actually if you talk to like any other competitor there the dark horse was Trill. Yeah, Boomie/DH/Rsham is a top-tire comp, but I remember listening to Whazz, Pika (pretty much everyone else) saying that no one had the capability to play a DH to the level Trill did.

DH seems like a pretty brain dead and simplified class to me, but I’m just reiterating what a bunch of players said...

Anyway, congrats to Cdew and the gang! Y’all deserve it. You played outta your minds
11/06/2018 06:43 AMPosted by Grìz
it's kinda hard to pick and choose what is exploiting and what isn't...
Not really, I think you need to look up what an exploit is. Using different gear sets its not exploiting is called being smart.
Having a buff proc from the starting room removing a buff is borderline exploit. I've exploited plenty in my day, been permabanned before, and I know what is dangerously close to crossing the line. I personally never used exploits when in arena though, as I viewed it as dirty and disingenuous... Like I said, I don't think it was a big enough exploit to DQ him, as they still burned their CD and it actually did cost them the use of innervate in the match. Now the cheesy resto trait used on boomkin, now that wasn't an exploit, and was just purely blizzard being dumb and overlooking it, which again, was the big part.

I'm a MO fan and wanted them to win, and personally think they'd have won even if they wouldn't have done the starting room trick, because they were playing INSANELY well and had comps and counter comps to seemingly everything... but meh.
It's great that he laid it out, if you watch the video he says numerous times that several of the things he did should be fixed/nerfed, and hopefully because of this video it will be.

Lively Spirit continuing to stack even if you cancel innervate definitely feels the most unintended. With that being said it would've been dumb not to use Azerite traits to their advantage, you have to assume 99% of the competition is trying to do the same thing. Just the way it is in e-sports.