Will Alliance Players Quit Due To BfA?

Story Forum
Prev 1 2 3 4 7 Next
Honestly I've been so bummed due to the poor story and game quality. I've considered quitting. I'm holding out to 8.1 if it works.. if not. I might have to consider 2019 the year I quit. BFA feels like another Warlords of Draenor with nothing worth doing.
If the alliance has to suffer another few pyrrhic victories I’m probably gone. It’s gotten to the point that we can’t do anything without taking heavy losses for the most stupid reasons. Hell even look at our cameo Rambo base in Nazmir. “Lmao wat the captain and soldiers are gone and blood trolls are bad? Noooo it couldn’t be!!!!!” This isn’t even Horde’s fault, it’s just Blizzard using the blue faction as canon fodder and walking slapstick joke material.

If they try and redeem Sylvanas it’s going to be the same level of stupid as everybody in WoD being totally okay and fine with Grom Hellscream joining the team in HFC and hunky dory afterwards despite the fact that even without demon corruption he still tried to wipe out the Draenei (and did manage to kill and enslave a large portion of their population).

I fear Blizzard’s horrible penchant for forgiving genocidal maniacs and trying to make people like them is going to play out again and see Sylvanas do something that makes everybody forgive her... probably make Malfurion and Tyrande grudgingly respect and admire her.

Ugh.
I am sympathetic to anyone who decided to no longer be subscribed because of the story, regardless of their faction. I know I will probably take a break, but I am too stubborn to fully give up on the storyline, despite really hating a lot of this expansions writing, besides leveling.

I know that There are things I would like in the story that others would hate, such as Sylvanas not being used as the villain of this plot. Tbh I can't even slightly guess which way they are heading anymore.

I just wanted to say that regardless of whether or not the story ends it in a place that I enjoy, I am sympathetic towards those who will feel the opposite. This expansions writing should not have led us to a place where only some can be happy, to the explicit detriment of others.
In this forum, sure. Ever since WoD I go month to month, and my sub runs out in 2 days. I could go either way for now, but if I do let the sub run dry it will be largely due to the Horde's story.

But the story forum is such a small slice of the player base, even the totality of the official forums are. Many players don't care to read quest text, they're not going to quit over a story that is just fun window dressing for them. They're more likely to lose people over personal circumstances (less time to play, friends quit, guild disbands) or gameplay elements (azerite, pathfinder, balance).
Meh. I identify with race more than faction and on that note, there really isn't any more dwarf story left to tell, so if I didn't leave over the fact that we're effectively a background race now, I won't leave over what happens to the faction as a whole.
Feels like they wrote a check they couldn't necessarily cash with this story. It started off with lofty goals and major moments, but I'm not sure anyone was really thinking about what things are going to look like when the dust settles on BfA.

We were told to "wait and see" and got what everyone basically predicted. Sylvana's is evil, she's insane, and she's willing to kill anyone, Horde or Alliance, that dares get in the way of her and her self serving goals (because, lets be honest, she does not have the Hordes best interest at heart anymore, if she ever did).

For me personally, as someone who has enjoyed the lore and stories of Warcraft for going on 14 years, I would only be satisfied with her dead at this point. Now, if she lives, would I quit for good? Doubt it, but I'm gonna want a good reason for her rotting carcass to still be moving under her own power.
11/06/2018 04:57 PMPosted by Jerolan
Forget the outcome, I'm just tired of being accessory to the Horde's story.

Heh, we feel the exact same about being an accessory for the alliance story.

Mostly because outside of the faction conflict we get no lore.

Kinda funny blizzard has managed to make both their factions feel worthless in their faction pride expansion
11/07/2018 03:14 AMPosted by Reallyhappy
11/06/2018 04:57 PMPosted by Jerolan
Forget the outcome, I'm just tired of being accessory to the Horde's story.

Kinda funny blizzard has managed to make both their factions feel worthless in their faction pride expansion

Please, what Alliance story is there? We always react to whatever the Horde does, that's not a story.
Someone needs to pay for Teldrasil. That's not a "shake hands and be friends" scenario. Not after they made me fly around a burning city on that "save 900!" quest.

This expansion was such a huge mistake. They're clearly not committed enough to cash the narrative checks they wrote with the War of Thorns.
11/07/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Maizono
Please, what Alliance story is there? We always react to whatever the Horde does, that's not a story.

Yeah, that's a story. In fact, "Bad guy hatches a scheme, good guy finds out and stops him" is one of the oldest and most common stories ever told. Hell, it was the plot of every Lethal Weapon movie.
11/07/2018 03:45 AMPosted by Tulek
Someone needs to pay for Teldrasil. That's not a "shake hands and be friends" scenario. Not after they made me fly around a burning city on that "save 900!" quest.

This expansion was such a huge mistake. They're clearly not committed enough to cash the narrative checks they wrote with the War of Thorns.

Don't worry, once the big bad old gods appear we'll unite to stop them, and the expansion will end with both faction leaders learning nothing and soon after forgetting BfA (sans the charred husk of Teldrassil and the ravaged wastelands of Tirisfal and Darkshore), with countless plot threads being dropped. Because that's Blizzard's B Team's definition of a successful, morally grey conflict.
11/07/2018 03:44 AMPosted by Maizono
11/07/2018 03:14 AMPosted by Reallyhappy

Word of Warcraft: Legion.
11/07/2018 03:52 AMPosted by Treng
Word of Warcraft: Legion.

Let's be serious here.

Legion is not Alliance story, as the Alliance as in the Alliance Faction ain't do much.

You had Val'sharah which was a druid zone. You can even reach harder and say it was night elf lore. But not the Alliance faction.

Argus, you can say was specifically draenei lore and that'd be much much harder to disprove. But again, what does draenei specifically have to do with the Alliance.

It doesn't. The Alliance and Horde did the exact same amount of nothing during Legion.

Or are we all just gonna sit happy and forget that for years whenever the Forsaken did anything, it was always considered Forsaken story and not Horde story? Or going back to Legion, are we just going to assume Highmountain and Suramar isn't Horde story because they weren't Horde at the time? Did the Horde actually gain anything during those storylines? Did the Alliance during Val'sharah and Argus?
11/07/2018 04:02 AMPosted by Daiza
as the Alliance as in the Alliance Faction ain't do much.
It revolved around saving your cities (Exodar), your faction leaders (Velen, Tyrande, Malfurion, Turalyon, Alleria), your race's histories, your faction gaining revenge or justice.

None of the above is also true for the Horde, save for retroactively. And Liadrin. Kind of.
Or are we all just gonna sit happy and forget that for years whenever the Forsaken did anything, it was always considered Forsaken story and not Horde story?
Alright. We got one zone in which our warchief betrayed us (and you) by focusing on enslavement of valkyr instead of AVENGING VOL'JIN.
Or going back to Legion, are we just going to assume Highmountain and Suramar isn't Horde story because they weren't Horde at the time?
Yes. Quadruply so because Baine was cut from the content while we still had to save Exodar, Velen, Malfurion, Tyrande, etc.
Did the Alliance during Val'sharah and Argus?
Tons of lore. Justice for the Draenei. Revenge for the Night Elves. To not claim Valsharrah was an Alliance story is absolutely mind boggling to me. It revolved around the two leaders of your faction, how they are being tried, tested, defeated, and victoried.
Did the Horde actually gain anything during those storylines?
An appreciation for Exodar's architecture and how fit Tyrande is.
Which again, all points to individual race storylines and not "this storyline is about the Alliance. Glory to the Alliance".

Because again, using the logic "We helped save Exodar" can equally be turned around to "We helped save Suramar". Throughout all of Val'sharah for example I ain't here anyone once say "For the Alliance!" yet the argument this is Alliance story.

But people will fight tooth and nail that because Suramar only joined the Horde after Legion, that it was neutral story. Yet people will fight tooth and nail and claim Illidan for the Alliance simply because he's a night elf.

Playing the victim of bad storytelling is a common thing among this board, I get that. But let's at least try to keep things consistent.
It revolved around saving your cities (Exodar), your faction leaders (Velen, Tyrande, Malfurion, Turalyon, Alleria), your race's histories, your faction gaining revenge or justice.

you mean when they forced alliance heros into neutrality?
where we lost dalaran? where our wc2 legendary heros were turned into horde lovers?forcing characters like alleria to work with people who she probably would have skinned alive? forcing veressa to work with belfs?

where the legion attacked and kicked in the guts the draenie and velen?
where varian was disenchanted while now voljin has new story?
and now look! khadgar instead of helping his friends in the alliance chooses the horde over the alliance, good for him, bad for the alliance.

i would rather see the world destroyed before seeing that again.
11/07/2018 04:19 AMPosted by Daiza
Which again, all points to individual race storylines and not "this storyline is about the Alliance. Glory to the Alliance".
Even the Dwarves were involved in this with Magni and the titans plot. That leave sout what, the gnomes and pandaren?
Because again, using the logic "We helped save Exodar" can equally be turned around to "We helped save Suramar".
Except Suramar was neutral. We weren't getting Horde lore. You were getting Alliance lore. Triply so because Velen wasn't there with an orc or a blood elf when Kil'jaeden died.

Legion was entirely about Alliance stories, save for Sylvanas and Eyir.
But people will fight tooth and nail that because Suramar only joined the Horde after Legion, that it was neutral story. Yet people will fight tooth and nail and claim Illidan for the Alliance simply because he's a night elf.
People fight tooth and nail because at the end Illidan sends you back to Tyrande and Malfurion. That isn't neutral. As a Horde player you're being thrust back to Alliance characters who are not neutral.

There is absolutely nothing neutral about the acting leadership of the Alliance.

The whole fallacious argument that Suramar became Horde a year (and three quarters?) after we saved it somehow makes it Horde content that we enjoyed as Horde content is misguided and erroneous. It was almost two years of exclusively Alliance story-telling.
These forums should be renamed the Horde Whining Forums.
11/07/2018 06:45 AMPosted by Rendford
These forums should be renamed the Horde Whining Forums.

So your plan is obviously to attract even more smug human paladins... but what's the end game?

*checks for a trapdoor and spikes*
11/06/2018 06:09 PMPosted by Britian
2. I am ask to compromise my personal ethical/moral standing in the game. I have no doubt that someday my resolve in #2 will be tested. Too many horde crybabies wining about the Alliance and their high horse needing to be taken down a peg.

So, hang on. You love your high horse so much that you'll quit if you can't have it, but the people saying this wasn't supposed to be a good-vs-evil game are the crybabies?

11/06/2018 06:47 PMPosted by Lëora
Do you know what the Alliance had to deal with? Robo-cat. Anyone around back then could tell you about Robo-cat and the following conversation with Vol’jin. Though let me tell you; That was the most unenjoyable moment in Alliance story telling and content history.

You don't get to complain about Robo-cat anymore. That was paid back, with interest, with the Argus patch. Where Horde players went to the Draenei home planet on a Draenei ship with Draenei leaders and fought alongside an army of 99% Draenei, and helped out two of the Alliance's long-lost glorious heroes (Alleria and Turalyon, in case you're wondering). Our only representation was Liadrin the Draenei Cheerleader and Aethas the Muffin Detective. That's our Robo-cat.