What happened to this Company?

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5 11 Next
The whole thing is crazy. Whats happening with WOW is like as if on day McDonalds decided they're going to cut their staff, cut the quality of their food, start charging more, and close all the drive-thur lanes. Fans of McD's would scream and yell! In response to consumer complaints McD's just turn up their noses, double down, and sits back to watch their business go down the toilet. Its makes NO sense!
11/07/2018 08:13 PMPosted by Searik
11/07/2018 11:09 AMPosted by Velara
PC gamers like us are being shunted aside so a new world of phone games and microtransactions you can soak kids and addicts for for 1000s. It's a cottage industry!

To be fair when you look at the money potential and availability of mobile gaming with the low end requirements and effort required its a no brainer, which is what makes it dangerous. In 2018 it made up 51% of gaming revenue and is projected to grow while console and pc games stay stagnant. It makes sense how players might be a bit cautious when a blatantly more profitable avenue pops up.

I've seen a few game and tech revolutions.

It does not pay to try and hold back the future. The future is RELENTLESS.

Console game console gave way to PC games.. CGA graphics had to give way to EGA.. that had to give way to VGA. Raster blasting had to give way to 3d graphics. PC's had to partially give way to laptops.. and then partially to tables.. and partially to mobiles. A programmer today is just unwise to only target something like "windows on a pc". You'd better be ready for cloud-using cross-platform, multi-language, cross-os, and container-based development. You'd better think about things like VR support and on and on..

I love wow but I also strongly believe in constantly adapting to meet the technology curve. Machine learning is coming on strong. GPS-aware gaming is coming on strong. Simultaneous multi-platform gaming is coming on strong.

I love wow, but what I love I want to see continue to grow and evolve.
That is what happens. A company wants to make more money. So they do the cheapest thing and target were the money is. Blizzard sees that mobile games are the thing that is making money. I do not care for mobile games. Most of them I do not play and I have stupidly spent money on them. Some do not require money, but I do not play them for long. I quit after 10 mins or less, and that is a puzzle game.
The company is in it for the money and soon every game company will go for what makes the money. It is a very sad generation for games.

Nothing like some good ole' made up information to adorn a cry-about-nothing thread

Nothing like a white knight considering their total sales of BFA and the numbers actually leaked.

11/07/2018 10:32 AMPosted by Smadinker

Nobody has exact numbers since Blizzard won't release them anymore but any idiot can see the game isn't as populated as it was before, not by a long shot.

Blizzard had sub numbers publicly available untill WoD when they stopped reporting it following a massive sub drop.

If there was a sub recovery Blizzard would be spamming it.

No they wouldn't , because there's no benefit to it.. Just like there's no benefit to releasing sub drops. The game is naturally also going to lose subscribers as it ages, no matter the expansions (for which there's always an up tick for and after the first patch or two decline again)

While I fully disagree with Blizzard deciding Mobile Gaming matters (and while it's obviously a genre that's not going away any time soon, you sure as !@#$ can't use it to tell the depth of story you can on Console or PC/Mac) .

I'm not going to sit here and make Bull%^-* Soup with fake statistics to try to prove my point like the OP did.

The bottom line is that it is happening (the focus on mobile) if we like it or not. However they'll hire newer developers to replace those who shifted focus (sometimes you need your top minds on new projects because the other ones don't need a developer to make simple changes) and as long as their existing IPO's and Titles don't start suffering like Diablo did/is than so be it.. They do have stock holders to appease
11/07/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Sâlâd
With declining subs reported in,

Citation needed.

You say its been reported in, so where has this been reported in and what is your source? Madam Cleo?
11/07/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Bojanglz
With declining subs reported in, several classes complaining about loss of abilities from Legion, creating what many players are calling a "no fun zone" with many of their favorite spells taken.

The sentiments echoed at Blizzcon. Diablo fiasco. See notes. The tension was real and felt even before the booing.

The disconnect with corporate interests and a lack of care of players is not good.

What happened to the good old days Blizzard? Why change?

The real question is: What happened to this era of gamers. My lord you guys are by far the worst and I am actually surprised gaming companies even want to make games for you guys anymore.

All you do is complain. Look at the whole D4 fiasco. People were raging D4 wasn't announced WHEN THEY POSTED AN ARTICLE SAYING THEY WON'T HAVE THE BIG NEWS AT BLIZZCON BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T READY YET. But nope. in one ear and out the other.

Also, all you guys do is want everything handed to you putting in little work. Why do you think it is raining purples at insane rates compared to all other expansions.

Whenever Blizzard tries something knew, all you guys do is whine and moan. Take IE and Warfronts. THEY ARE BRAND NEW. Of course they won't be perfect. Instead of giving constructive criticism you post "These suck. Fire the developers." in reality, these 2 things have huge potential if you just have patience. They already listened and making a heroic version of Warfronts.

You guys cry about RNG. Well guess what. When you cry about needing BiS gear asap and purples, and they listen to you and give you free insanely high ilvl gear for doing nothing, they need to try and keep you playing some how and RNG is the only way.

This is also on all other games besides Blizzard. So many entitled whiners.

So don't say "what happened to Blizzard." What the hell happened to the gamers?

Rng may be the only way for BiS, but it was Rng before they made Rng everything. Now your BiS is what ever titanforges the hardest and has the best stats you need. There's no completion by that standard.
11/07/2018 07:29 PMPosted by Sunfaller
They now have more games generating money so they think satiating wow players isn't their priority anymore. They're priority is to now bleed the remaining players of their 14 year old game dry of money.

From the business point of view, maintaining a 14 year old game isn't profitable.

But wow is diff. 3.5m people buying bfa means the game is still stronger compared to more newer popular rpgs like ffxiv and gw2. Probs a million more who didnt buy bfa and stay in legion. I think WoW is still profitable but they're really neglecting it.

That's because they've assigned their best devs to the mobile team. Blizzard said so.

Explains a lot about why WoW has been in such decline for the last 5 years, and why there is no PC Diablo release after 6 years. . .

If not these two flagship products, what have all the best devs been working on?
Nothing like a white knight considering their total sales of BFA and the numbers actually leaked.

Blizzard had sub numbers publicly available untill WoD when they stopped reporting it following a massive sub drop.

If there was a sub recovery Blizzard would be spamming it.

No they wouldn't , because there's no benefit to it.. Just like there's no benefit to releasing sub drops. The game is naturally also going to lose subscribers as it ages, no matter the expansions (for which there's always an up tick for and after the first patch or two decline again)

While I fully disagree with Blizzard deciding Mobile Gaming matters (and while it's obviously a genre that's not going away any time soon, you sure as !@#$ can't use it to tell the depth of story you can on Console or PC/Mac) .

I'm not going to sit here and make Bull%^-* Soup with fake statistics to try to prove my point like the OP did.

The bottom line is that it is happening (the focus on mobile) if we like it or not. However they'll hire newer developers to replace those who shifted focus (sometimes you need your top minds on new projects because the other ones don't need a developer to make simple changes) and as long as their existing IPO's and Titles don't start suffering like Diablo did/is than so be it.. They do have stock holders to appease

The idea that none of the subs lost were due to highly and predictably unpopular game changes that the devs forced through and abandonment of development and support of existing content makes you sound like the worst sort of apologist.

It makes zero sense to push your loyal customers out the window and chase instead after a new market, when both were possible.
With declining subs reported in

Where? Source please, because the only indication of lost subs are these forums, and these forums have been complaining about WoW with people threatening to quit since Vanilla.
11/07/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Mvura
They're growing.

You're no longer the special little pumpkin you used to be; they have a lot more people to please now.

If only, well anyone, shared your optimism.

The players don't, the shareholders don't. But good luck chasing the dragon with mobile gaming I guess. I hope selling your soul to be an also-ran is worth it.
$$$$$$$$$$
11/08/2018 01:13 AMPosted by Carhagen

Where? Source please, because the only indication of lost subs are these forums, and these forums have been complaining about WoW with people threatening to quit since Vanilla.

And, might I add, these forums make up a scant percentage of the player base as a whole. Most don't even come here.... let alone post.

You people pull sub numbers right out of the same place you get the numbers in your head to make you feel like your in the majority.
11/08/2018 01:13 AMPosted by Carhagen

At the time I unsubbed, my guild of around 30 all left wow. I went and searched for something similar to join only to find most guilds were suffering member losses.

I don’t know about the other 40 or so, I wasn’t in constant contact with them, so they may be playing or may have quit. But either way, my anecdote is eerily similar to many others.

But I’d like a source on the numbers because all you fanbois claim everything is peachy, when anyone who has played knows it’s not.
11/07/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Mvura
They're growing.

You're no longer the special little pumpkin you used to be; they have a lot more people to please now.
Yep. Blizz gotta get a share of that Candy Crush market. Match 3 Arthas's for a whopping 50 gems!
Bros being bros.
At this point it is just the same few people here arguing about how well the game is doing. I don’t mind the occasional pointless argument, but this one is pretty stale.
Ok let look at this way. When I go into a meeting first thing I am asked are customers happy. First thing/Next thing is how product going. then we get into numbers. This is not happening at blizzard.\

Not when not once buts several times over last year they blame the customer. You do not blame the customer. You find out what's wrong and fix it. Something in this company culture is broken. they are not looking at what the customer wants. Only what they want and how they want it made. Ignore the customer in process. then when customer gets made they blame them.

No matter how you spin it. A company needs someone to buy their product. You normally produce a product to a paying base. You don't make a product for yourself and then sell it to the base. Normally as in any case their are exception to rule. But mostly these become one hit wonders.

Gaming company have target audience. they build, design and make things based on that base. Blizzard does not do this. they do opposite. That makes no sense. It reason why all their product on the decline or have angary customers. they want a product design for them. they get a product based on what company wants or recently what sells.

Company is now focus on other product that are not pc based. As that market is growing> pc market is shrinking. Kame sense. the problem is they still not designing products for their base.
11/07/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Bojanglz
With declining subs reported in, several classes complaining about loss of abilities from Legion, creating what many players are calling a "no fun zone" with many of their favorite spells taken.

The sentiments echoed at Blizzcon. Diablo fiasco. See notes. The tension was real and felt even before the booing.

The disconnect with corporate interests and a lack of care of players is not good.

What happened to the good old days Blizzard? Why change?

The real question is: What happened to this era of gamers. My lord you guys are by far the worst and I am actually surprised gaming companies even want to make games for you guys anymore.

All you do is complain. Look at the whole D4 fiasco. People were raging D4 wasn't announced WHEN THEY POSTED AN ARTICLE SAYING THEY WON'T HAVE THE BIG NEWS AT BLIZZCON BECAUSE THEY WEREN'T READY YET. But nope. in one ear and out the other.

Also, all you guys do is want everything handed to you putting in little work. Why do you think it is raining purples at insane rates compared to all other expansions.

Whenever Blizzard tries something knew, all you guys do is whine and moan. Take IE and Warfronts. THEY ARE BRAND NEW. Of course they won't be perfect. Instead of giving constructive criticism you post "These suck. Fire the developers." in reality, these 2 things have huge potential if you just have patience. They already listened and making a heroic version of Warfronts.

You guys cry about RNG. Well guess what. When you cry about needing BiS gear asap and purples, and they listen to you and give you free insanely high ilvl gear for doing nothing, they need to try and keep you playing some how and RNG is the only way.

This is also on all other games besides Blizzard. So many entitled whiners.

So don't say "what happened to Blizzard." What the hell happened to the gamers?

Do you want to know why we complain? It comes down to the fact that we paid a full AAA box price and a $15 subscription fee for a premium game experience, but all we get is an unfinished game trapped in beta, and a miserably unbalanced one at that. There’s a reason my forum avatar, the character I’ve mained for years, is stuck at 112, but I’ll let you figure out why I can’t be bothered to play him. Are we entitled to whine? Yes. Absolutely. We forked big bucks for this game. If Blizzard wants to maintain goodwill with us and our wallets, they better take us into consideration. Or maybe you enjoy being scammed.
While no one has any concrete sub numbers, the absence of reporting of any kind is in itself indicative of failing numbers. When the question is a simple, "how ya' doin'?" and the response is dead silence... that silence is in itself an answer.

"Oh they refused to answer" is not indicative of a positive response to that answer by any reasonable measure. "Pleading the fifth" doesn't excuse you from the resulting implications, and in the court of public opinion, and of basic logic it's an admission of failure while refusing to withhold the details. The fact that they haven't released those details is NOT a defense against admitting that they don't want anyone to see the numbers in question.

No, no one has any exact sub numbers. But we have ample evidence of the direction they're going, and that's enough to reasonably state that they're not doing well. We don't need the numbers to know how they're doing - Blizzard has already told us.
Corporate Big Business, As my boss told me in a meeting in regarding customers "We are not here to make friends" I believe the dev team cares about this game but are been controlled by metric targets set by them by management.