Classic & PvP

Classic Discussion
As someone who isn't interested in PvE that much,

What shall I expect as a PvPer in this old world?

For instance, I hear a lot about class imbalance and not viable specs for PvE.
How does this compare to PvP? Will I be forced to chose specs and classes to be competitive?

About gear, will I be forced to do PvE in order to be competitive at PvP?

Finally, if it isn't too much for me to ask, what can you say about this classes at PvP?

Priest, Shaman, Rogue, Warrior, Druid?
Once PvP rewards are out you can do AV for gear that is similar in strength to MC gear. There are true hard counters, like a skilled frost mage will destroy any warrior anytime, and other class vs class superiority. Once people start getting into AQ40 gear it will be tougher for you but many PvP fights in vanilla come down to skill and proper ability use/timing so you will always have a chance unless your solo vs your hard counter class
Depends what you mean by competitve. Clearly someone in level 19 blues isnt competive to someone in 60 epics.

However if you get most pre raid BIS you will be competitve untill late bwl patch or aq patch.

Pvp gear will be good depending when its introduced.
HAHaHa.... I need to buy some vials to collect Rogue tears. I almost forgot they will not be escaping pets in classic.
Actually, PvP was much more balanced than PvE in Vanilla. While people consider Warriors OP in PvP, it is actually not so true, and the same goes for many classes.

What we saw in Vanilla videos are overgeared players killing undergeared players and the gear gap between MC and BWL was already huge. So imagine fresh level 60 pre MC and AQ40-

Now, some specs are not good in PvP like demo SM/Ruin but Demo Affliction is ver good. Shadow Priests are insane, Shamans Enhanced suck in PvE but are really good in PvP if well geared. Same with Elementals, Rets. Hunters are mid of the pack in PvE but gods in PvP if you are truly a good player.

In the end, your gear matters and your skill even more. Understanding your CDs, your opponent and its spec is important.
11/09/2018 02:49 AMPosted by Alfredd

How does this compare to PvP? Will I be forced to chose specs and classes to be competitive?

Finally, if it isn't too much for me to ask, what can you say about this classes at PvP?

as someone mentioned, pvp was a bit more balanced than endgame raiding. for example, the guild i was in during classic definitely wouldn't have used a slot for enhancement shamans, shadow priests, or ferals, whereas all of those will be fine in pvp. i would argue shadow priests are actually one of the best pvp specs out there. gearing will be a bit problematic once your opponents start looting BWL/AQ/Naxx gear if you're not willing to raid, unless you're willing to do the pvp ladder climb.

i can't comment on the specific specs necessarily on rogue and warrior, but they certainly had viable pvp specs. i can't remember us ever running a prot warrior for flag carrying in warsong gulch; it was always a druid. i'm sure prot defends an AB node gloriously, but that doesn't sound particularly enjoyable.

Priest -

If you plan on healing, you are very good at doing just that. Their issues come into play when you start getting targeted by 3+ players and you simply drop because of the lack of armor and you will be getting interrupted a lot. But you can hold your own in 1v1 and 1v2 situations. If a rogue/warrior/hunter/mage/lock attacks you, don't be afraid to just murder them with smite and SWP ticks.

If you want to go shadow then man aren't you in for a good time. Well when you aren't oom that is. You nuke faces. You silence healers/casters for 5 seconds that cant be trinketed. You dispel buffs on enemies like sheilds and hots. You are a god 1v1, 1v2, and in groups as well with mana burn. On top of that mind control in big fights can change the fight completely by throwing people off cliffs. You can do this as a healer too but you are better off healing most of the time.

Shaman: Never played one so I am not going to comment

Rogue: God in world pvp and 1v1s. It is a little harder to 1v2 unless you are really skilled and have eng items. The best thing about rogues though is that you pick your fights, if you want to fight someone you will, if you want to stay away from the fight you can.

Warrior: You need gear to be optimal. Before gear you are going to get run down/stun locked/kited to death until you Alt F4. BUT once you have gear or have a healer you do a lot of damage and you will wreck face. Even with gear though, the only thing you really destroy 1v1 is a rogue, everything else can kite you/heal through your damage enough to kill you before you kill them.

Druid: Seriously underrated in 1v1s 1v2s and group pvp. As a healer you are OK. You are very slippery and pair nice with rogues to do some cheesy stuff. As a balance/resto hybrid you can 1v1 any and all classes once you have mastered the class and how to play it. Feral can do that same.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XQwH0atQZ0Q
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I_Zo5ZVLaPs

As you can tell this guy is very good. But if you let anyone tell you balance druids suck in pvp don't listen to them. They are just really hard to play.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8S7hipaRj1o

"Classic solo queue cup" lol
A lot of ganking and camping.

That's pretty much all PvP is anymore.
There were definitely some rock/papers/scissors type relationships.

It evolved over the course of vanilla but I played primarily my warrior then (Rank 9 was as far as I could grind). As a warrior, I had zero fear of rogues - save for rogue groups that would stunlock. But mages ate me for breakfast.

But if you run in a dedicated group for BGs or open world, you should be fine really no matter the class.
PvP won't be released in any real way till Bwl patch. So get ready to wait a few months before you can even start getting any gear from it.
11/09/2018 08:42 AMPosted by Khorteth
PvP won't be released in any real way till Bwl patch. So get ready to wait a few months before you can even start getting any gear from it.

If I’m on before bwl, there will for sure be pvp released before that. You best believe red is dead
Hard counters. Hard counters everywhere.
Gonna have to end up raiding anyways after BWL and AQ gear is released. Gonna have to mix and match different pieces to get BIS between BWL AQ40 and R14 gear.
As always there will be a "best" spec or talent builds to go with. Hybrid classes, i.e. Ret Paladin, didn't really compete on the same level as say Arms Warrior, so there will be some limitation in that regard.

In terms of gear, it depends on the version of the PvP system they go with. If it is the original title requirement for gear then PvE becomes more important, sure you could grind out the blue PvP set with crap gear but it'll be really painful. Some classes like Warrior were more gear dependent so raiding will be pretty central to performance.

It'll be interesting to see what the PvP scene looks like in Classic in contrast to actual vanilla. Back then keyboard turning and clicking abilities was fairly commonplace. Now that people have been playing for years and years the understanding/skill levels are substantially elevated, I think it'll be a lot different and much more competitive.
Classic character design revolved around rock/paper/scissors

you will hard counter some classes and be hard countered by others

Gearing in Classic is being CHANGED from how it really was. For a long time you got honor by playing bg's. Honor would build rank for you at the end of the week. You could buy gear unlocked by your rank. Honor DECAYED every week to motivate weekly participation. Got horrendously grindy towards the high ranks, which rewarded BIS epic gear.

In the new Classic, pvp gearing is being cut entirely until raid gear catches up to it. This removes a MASSIVE motivation to get the glorious BIS pvp gear for most of Classic. Raid gear will utterly dominate everything in pvp. In the original classic, raid gear didn't super dominate until Naxx.

This means pvp in the 'new' Classic will be NOTHING like it was in the old days, because the gearing system is not being included when it was MOST relevant.

And oh buddy..... the Naxx gear was stupid stronger than the best pvp gear. Completely unkillable healers. DPS that could just roll everyone. Incredibly broken for everyone but the raiders.

The only nice thing about classic pvp was you could q 3 bg's at once and bounce between them. No deserter. Let you dodge premades easily. No idea if they are changing this as well.

Oh yeah there are some pvp vendors that use bg rep spread across the classic world. Gave some of the best perks and gear for a while, especially at lower levels.

Unless you love raiding, you are gonna burn out on classic pvp pretty quickly, BECAUSE IT ISN'T AUTHENTIC CLASSIC PVP due to them excluding the BIS pvp gear that everyone idolized for YEARS
Play any class you like, just have fun... and remember the original PVP philosophy in WoW was Rock > Scissors > Paper...

Kind of a hard question here. Main difference is lack of flying mounts in wpvp and obviously classes being different, as well as paladins/shaman locked to specific factions. Those change the flavor of pvp a bit

There are certainly specs that are stronger or weaker than others in classic. WoW was never, and will never be, a perfectly balanced game. It's pvp though, you can play with them all and do well. It might just not be optimal.

Depends on how much time you have lol. I was able to get r14 epics but it required an enormous amount of time back then. If you don't have a ton of time, blue items are about the best you can expect from PvP, aside from a few epic rewards that you can for grinding battleground reputations. So most likely you'll be raiding to fully gear out unless you have a huge amount of time to sink into pvp.

Priest - Great class and highly sought after in groups if you're a healer. Shadow priests are strong in solo pvp and undead shadow priests especially are almost unkillable in 1v1. Race is very important to this class so be sure to check out which racial priest abilities your race has. Dwarf priest is hands down the best PvE priest and not bad in PvP either. Undead is very strong as a shadow priest.

Shaman - Never played one, but I did play against them quite a bit. As healers, they're not bad, although I think paladins outshine them in this regard. Their DPS specs have some high burst potential. Enhancement can get some one shots with windfury, but its very luck based. Elemental requires some good gear before it gets strong, but can be pretty good at times.

Rogue - Goes without saying they're one of the best 1v1 classes. Can't go wrong with them. They're pretty strong in general.

Warrior - Gear dependent, but once you're geared you become very strong and hard to kill. Add a healer and you become a wrecking ball. One of the best, if not the best, PvP class imo. Struggles in some 1v1 match ups though.

Druid - Very strong pvp healer due to the amount of escapes they have and the ability to avoid some CCs and roots by shapeshifting. Feral is pretty meh, not awful but not the greatest. I don't remember balance ever really being good, but tbh that may just be because I never really saw anyone play balance back in the day. Druids are the go to flag carriers for WSG, so you shouldn't have a problem getting a group for PvP.

All the above is just my opinion though. Feel free to agree or disagree.
11/09/2018 02:56 AMPosted by Bigsly1DD123
Once PvP rewards are out you can do AV for gear that is similar in strength to MC gear.

I wonder if they'll keep the reputation requirements for the pvp gear?

Ironically, I used to get the Silverwing Sentinels/Warsong wrists for all my characters. They were often the best bracers I could get until Outland.