Hello everyone how to properly RP a DK ?

Story Forum
I started getting into RPing more and just wondering best way to RP a DK and what are the dos and donts about RPing the class..

Just curious so I dont accidentally start god moding...

Any help would be appreciate

Thank you for your time

Sincerly

Clas
You might find more traction on this topic in the World's End Tavern (Roleplay forums).

First and foremost, you are undead. Functionally, you are among the most powerful varieties of undead and filled with necromantic *power to stave off rot and desiccation. However, damage and wear is inevitable. They lack the ability to heal naturally, but can steal life essence via their blood magic in battle to repair their bodies or use unholy magic to the same effect.
*Edit: Typo.

How/when you want your character to have been raised by the Scourge or the Ebon Blade is largely up to you. You can either be from when the Lich King specifically raised a bunch of Death Knights to attack Light's Hope to draw out Tirion Fordring, somewhere further back, or even as recent as being raised by the Ebon Blade during the war with the Burning Legion to have a second chance at saving the world from the demons.

Note that the last of those options is the one taken willingly. The raising done with the Four Horsemen (namely Nazgrim at the start) is indicative of how they operate- they call to the soul of the dead hero and offer them a second chance. If they accept, the Ebon Blade raises them as a new Death Knight.

It's unclear if new Death Knights suffer from the same impetus placed upon them by the Lich King in years prior, but most Death Knights are sadists by necessity.

https://wow.gamepedia.com/Eternal_hunger
The eternal hunger or endless hunger is an addiction that afflicts all death knights of the Ebon Blade and gives them the need to inflict pain. If death knights do not regularly inflict agony upon another creature, they begin to suffer wracking pains that could drive them into a mindless, blood-seeking hysteria far worse than the fate of those who suffer from arcane withdrawal.
This sort of thing is why you're not liable to see Death Knight innkeepers or Death Knights trying to return to their old lives. Mercenary work for their respective faction gives them an outlet to inflict that pain.

In the interim, they duel one another to both keep their skills sharp and to deal with that "addiction".

Here's a few more points listed in the WoWpedia article.
  • Despite their evil natures and even during their service to the Scourge, some death knights remained true to a code of honor — or, at least, to a semblance of order and discipline.
  • Despite all the psychological conditioning and trauma they went through, some knights are able to act mostly like they were before their death. This includes Thassarian, who served among the Alliance and saved his own sister even as a death knight.
  • Death knights can feel positive emotions for a brief time and rarely. Bad emotions like remorse and pity they feel deeply.
  • While in the Scourge, death knights are known to have eaten meals consisting primarily of humanoid meat, vermin, and insects. Some death knights can enjoy alcohol and be affected by its inebriating effects. They are also capable of sleeping though it is not necessary and was forbidden by the Scourge.
  • There's no indication that they need to eat, but can get sustenance from it. A Death Knight isn't going to starve.
    I too was thinking of getting into RP or at least writing for my DK. I just started playing WoW (BFA is my first expansion) but I've been diving into lore and tons of threads for DKs and they all seem to contradict. As I see it there tends to be no "right way" to RP a DK.

Some say they are dead as can be, others feel they are alive, and then most say they are undead - once a normal mortal, then killed, then the scourge's necromancers brought them back in a strange state.

This new state is what causes a lot of controversy. Everyone seems to have their own interpretations to the mixed signals Blizz has given us about DK.

From what I have read and seen DK still need to eat because Arthas fed them humanoid meat, vermin, and bugs while he had his lichy grip on their free will. The Wowpedia page also said they can get drunk which means their able to be effected by liquor and able to process it. DKs also breath which I mean would make sense if their lungs worked along with their stomach and liver. Especially since we drown if our breath bar is depleted under water. Forsaken who are also undead they dont have to worry about that. It also seems that DKs bleed and can have broken bones and internal damages. I mean we do have the blood specialization that involves sucking blood from others and using our own. But also there was a class hall quest i just did while exploring Legion land to see what i missed where i rescued a blood elf DK guy who was locked up in Undercity and he complained of pain and internal bleeding. I forget his name but it appears that our nervous system then is also fully functional.

So it seems that a DK is similar to some of the vampire tales out there. A person is infected or inflicted with a curse/disease that either kills them and creates them anew. This new body is stronger than it was before but has it's own weaknesses. It appears that DKs are technially undead but that doesn't mean they are still dead. I like to think that my DK has a pulse, her blood flows, her lungs intake air, she can get wasted (which she does a lot) and most importantly she feels physical pain.

I also found in on thread where someone said that the DKs are alive but are kept that way against their will. The scourge is what provides them this psudo immortality. I think that plays well with the player mechanic of being sent to the grave yard and coming back. Like hey you can die DK but you're gonna keep coming back whether you like it or not, which is both a gift and a curse. You don't perma die but you won't every feel the peace of death. Something I'm sure Sylvanus is jealous of...

As for the psychological stuff, again i think this would vary from DK to DK. I like this idea that the negative emotions take a harder toll on them than others but that doesn't mean all of them have to go around being edge lords. The constant need to kill and fight is also cool too because if they don't "feed" (like a vampire who abstains from blood) they will go crazy and end up going on a murder spree to make up for all that suppression. I like to think they still have emotions as well as physical desires too. It just seems that a DK who can feel would actually serve better than one who cannot. Besides our DK are of the Ebon Blade and different due to being set free from the lich king Arthas thanks to...I guess the light? Still fuzzy on that tbh...

I think this is one of those cases where as long as you follow a loose set of guidelines and remember they were indeed mine !@#$ed by the lich, they murdered innocent people in their starting area, they are tied to the scourge so may find it hard to adjust to society, and they now have free will then you should be able to play around with some ideas.

If you want to make them edgy and rival the edginess of Illidan Stormrage then go for it. If you want them to have a different view and maybe try to find positivity in hopes to prevent them from loosing themselves to the scourge you can do that too.

Its all a matter of perspective really! Just remember to have fun with it!
    11/10/2018 01:16 PMPosted by Rosala
    Some say they are dead as can be, others feel they are alive, and then most say they are undead - once a normal mortal, then killed, then the scourge's necromancers brought them back in a strange state.
    You literally get raised from the dead and you see them doing the same to more DKs in the starting zone.

DKs are undead, full stop. Those particular skilled in blood magic might be able to simulate being alive (similarly to how, in vampire fiction, they tend to use their powers to trick mortals into thinking they're alive as well), but they're still undead. For those sorts of DKs, you'd use the "regular" skin tones for your race. Otherwise, I'd use the DK-specific ones like OP has.

So it seems that a DK is similar to some of the vampire tales out there. A person is infected or inflicted with a curse/disease that either kills them and creates them anew. This new body is stronger than it was before but has it's own weaknesses. It appears that DKs are technially undead but that doesn't mean they are still dead. I like to think that my DK has a pulse, her blood flows, her lungs intake air, she can get wasted (which she does a lot) and most importantly she feels physical pain.
    If you're undead, you're dead. Your character can do all those things without it being necessary to their function. They could still pump blood through their bodies, perhaps even have body heat as not to feel like a pallid corpse, but if someone stabs them in the heart, it isn't going to kill them because what's really keeping them "alive" is the necromantic power that brought them back from the dead. Anything else is just a front.

A Dark Simulacrum, if you will.

Especially since we drown if our breath bar is depleted under water.
    That's a game mechanic they never bothered to do anything about, or they felt giving a copy of the Forsaken's racial ability to an entire class might cause trouble.
    Cantaloupe is correct. Death Knights are undead. We don't get a full on race racial because it's unbalanced and lessens what Forsaken get.
    Is there levels of undead ? I mean why would Arthas bother feeding the DKs if they gained nothing from it. Can they still digest it? And if they can bleed even those with out the blood specialization then wouldn't that mean their heart is beating. I mean they are undead that not really up for debate, I just wonder if its like being resurrected but instead of a priest using the light where they can go on having a normal mortal life its dark magic and so the aftermath is different. They function better than the minions you get in unholy but you're not quite mortal. Its like a weird limbo. But still...better than glittering in the sunlight...like some undead from a different franchise...

I mean I know Sylvanus started off as a Banshee but she got her body back and was able to perma die after words. So she's undead because she died, got turned into a banshee, got her body back, then died, then came back...again but she isn't...like the other Forsaken if that makes sense.

I dont know I'm just confused on the different types of undead there seem to be in WoW lore (from skeletons to elven vampires) and how everyone is interpreting it. I'm not trying to be difficult or anything I'm just trying to make sense of all of the information. The other threads seem to range from like '08 to now and it seems still the only thing people agree on is that a DK died and was risen again. Other than that I'm seeing all sorts of things. Including some pretty...strange things...

Side note: who doesn't want the cool scars that come with these other skin tone options lol
    11/10/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Rosala
    I mean why would Arthas bother feeding the DKs if they gained nothing from it.
    Even forsaken get something from eating. They don't have to eat, but eating is beneficial.
    11/10/2018 05:37 PMPosted by Dreadmoore
    11/10/2018 05:35 PMPosted by Rosala
    I mean why would Arthas bother feeding the DKs if they gained nothing from it.
    Even forsaken get something from eating. They don't have to eat, but eating is beneficial.

From my understanding they eat to gain the tissue, which will help their body repair itself and ward off rotbrain. They basicly dont need the energy from the carbs and fats, but the proteins will help repair their body.
    You do the mash.
    You do the monster mash.
    You do the mash.
    It’s a graveyard smash.
    11/10/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Cantaloupe
    This sort of thing is why you're not liable to see Death Knight innkeepers or Death Knights trying to return to their old lives. Mercenary work for their respective faction gives them an outlet to inflict that pain.
    Just an aside since your post was amazing and covered everything a primer should and then some: I knew a DK RPer who was a chef. Played it completely straight and served at major community events and catered, the whole shebang. Also legit RPd out his double life as a stalker and murderer at night.

I miss him.
    11/10/2018 11:50 AMPosted by Clasmenethil
    I started getting into RPing more and just wondering best way to RP a DK and what are the dos and donts about RPing the class..

Just curious so I dont accidentally start god moding...

Any help would be appreciate

Thank you for your time

Sincerly

Clas

You character was made evil and has done horrible things. Now that you have broken free, how do you deal with that?

You still have a need to make things suffer and die. I think the premise most start with is that you started using that against the person who made you what you are, the Lich King. Whether out of atonement or revenge is up to you.

Many around you, even in your own faction, don't trust you. Your order (the Ebon Blade) recent decided that they would do the things that others weren't willing to do, even if you are hated for it. (My take has been a sense that the rest of the world might condemn and even destroy you for it, but accepting the hate of the world was a price you were willing to pay to do what the world needed done). It remains to see what, if anything, Blizzard does with this).

There is the question of other ways to handle the need to make things suffer and die. My character took up fishing. (She doesn't do "catch and release").