Is flying/lack of flying still an issue?

General Discussion
Pathfinder part 1 is fine. But once completed that should be it you get your wings.

Someone earlier used the word infantile to describe blizzards approach to flight these days and I agree with that assessment.

I’d be fine with no flight in warmode if that’s what those folks prefer.
Kinda stop caring about flying

Case of 2 thing

One I see flying issue with pvp when you have to chase some one (Belive me I done it alot of times)

But it needed if you want to get matts faster (even if your a botter or farmer)

Mostly I just say this Have Flying In None pvp (If you do pvp you can't fly ) And no flying in WM since well Make it easy for well chaser and more reseson to stay in big group eh? and make sure troll don't find a good spot, Fly there, Be on that and troll kill flyers with that anti air mount gun
Didn't read the text because the questions is pretty straight forward. Answering as a pro flyer myself, I find that blizzard has gotten it to a fairly good place in BFA. I would still like to fly but the design of the terrain, placement of FMs, the whistle, all have made it very playable without flying. The design difference between say, WoD with no flying and BFA with no flying is night and day.
11/11/2018 05:34 AMPosted by Alurinn
Didn't read the text because the questions is pretty straight forward. Answering as a pro flyer myself, I find that blizzard has gotten it to a fairly good place in BFA. I would still like to fly but the design of the terrain, placement of FMs, the whistle, all have made it very playable without flying. The design difference between say, WoD with no flying and BFA with no flying is night and day.

My question to that is: if travel is already so convenient, why withhold flying further?

If I have a choice between my instant teleport whistle/flight path or mounting up to fly myself I'll choose to fly myself every time. I don't care if the former is faster. I like to have control of my character. It's a game after all. What fun is an instant teleport then clicking a button that robs control from your character?
Yes, it's an issue.

I no longer stay completely subbed thru an expansion. I no longer have multiple accounts. I've decided to just play the content where I already have flying when I do play. I refuse to be forced into content that should be optional, as it was handled in past expansions.

The fact of the matter is their handling of flight in WoD and the use of Pathfinder as a "compromise" has hurt the game in the long-run. One only needs to look back at the old flying threads in WoD and note the huge numbers of characters still sitting at 100 and now shadowed out — meaning, those are players who quit and never came back. I don't care if it increases "player engagement," it caused many to disengage completely.

Even their stated rationale for restricting flight, that we'd be given new and compelling doesn't stand up since all we received in turn was dailies and reputation grinds. And the idea that they want players to earn flight doesn't stand up because when players complete the achievement they still have to wait months and months to see flight implemented. I honestly can't fathom why they've done what they've done.
It's going to be an issue as long as they have players need older content.

See the best way to not give something and have people not miss and get over it it is to not have them go back in time/place where they have it. Can't miss something and get over it when several times a week you get it all back taking a simple portal.

gee, is flying all that great? I could start to ask myself.

And then I need to hit the AH. And then I go, hell yeah. take portals to stormwind/orgrimmar. Fly around town. And I go man this is nice....

If they'd add AH's to new content this might make this go better. they don't. reason seems to be well then classic realms would be a ghost town. creates that dilemma of yes they are making classic look busy but many are going so I can fly here not in BFA?

then a horde goes back to z-land and goes wtf, sigh...let's take a flight master since faster than stairs. it even takes a crap route. Still faster than the stairs.

Now for heritage armours...some lacking rep are going back in time. I did on the belf first, now this night elf off and in. Makes dungeon running way more fun flying. Zoom around, land, hit the dungeon, fly off to next one.

then for the keep older content current...legion. I and many others are finding our time in legion more fun. I even have a hunter doing completely optional content there....for fun. See their WQ layout in BFA, see no items of interest and go lets hit legion giggles and grins.

Many fly about do their thing in legion. Its not just the one shot trash mobs. Its the flying is just better. As even I 340 ish in BFA can clean mobs decently now.

Its not if the mobs are 1 shot or 3/4 shot....we just don't want the trash mobs between areas of interest at all. Rarely are they worth our time to deal will. Pre 120 you could say well its xp. post 120 ding and no xp...there are better ways to make 70 silver a corpse than kill trash mobs in BFA.

"G'huun gonna have your blood" says the blood troll. I want to tell the blood troll to get a real job so they have some money and items to be worth my time to kill them.
if you have all the flight zones and a whistle it doesn't really matter, If you want flying it should be for gold. The whole rep grind is to shadow the fact there is not enough content. Right now its either rep grind, mythic plus or 1 raid. Thats not a lot of content
11/10/2018 09:52 PMPosted by Zipzø
I do particularly remember that back in WOD it was a huge issue that cause insane backlash until they hamfisted it in near the end, some might remember the backlash as pretty intense but at this point I think I've lost perspective on just how bad it actually was, and why. Something about Blizzard lying about adding it and then not adding it?
So, first, the issue in WoD was they did indeed outright lie about providing flight in WoD. Originally, they said there wouldn't be flight at first, but there would be a quest line later to earn it. Then they came out several months into the expansion and said, No more flight. Not in WoD, and not in any future expansions. Yeah, so there was backlash, big time.

Did the playerbase just give up and keep playing anyway? Did all of those pro flyers just quit? Did Blizzard successfully force players to just 'get over it'?
Yes, some folks quit. Some didn't. I personally am happy with Pathfinder. I like it a lot better than paying gold for all my characters once they hit max. With Pathfinder, all my alts can fly as soon as they hit an expansion. That means they can level through the expansion with flight. The only character that couldn't do that is the one who did Pathfinder (this one).

I didn't "get over it". I like Pathfinder better than paying gold. I don't like that it's in two parts that can't be completed until well into the expansion, but that's a different argument.
Did all of those pro flyers just quit?

Considering the declining subs, I'd guess a lot of the pro flying crowd just quit. I know the restriction of flight was one of the common denominators among the majority of people on my friends list that don't play anymore, and many of them haven't played since WoD. Not the main reason for the most part, but it played a part in their absence from WoW, and is still playing a part in their absence.

Currently, WoW has a great many other issues that people dislike, add the restrictions to flying to those other issues and it's just fuel for the fire as far as tasking a break/quitting.

Pathfinder doesn't need a second part, flying should have a date that it will be allowed, announced at the beginning of the expac. The dev team made flight a problem because they just didn't want to put in the work it takes to consider flying during development. That is just lazy. I despise laziness.

Semper Fi!
We have no choice but Pathfinder. But after Pathfinder One, we SHOULD get to fly. Enough is enough.

Between the RNG, time-gating, GCD, level scaling, leveling nerfs, lack of feeling progression, and time gating flight until some new area a year later that we CANNOT fly in, I feel that the stick has gotten so long we cannot even smell the carrot any more, let alone see it.

I miss WoW.
We should be able to fly by now. Instead, we're going to have to wait another 5 months before we can fly. They need to speed up Pathfinder, not keep adding more time to it.

Or, if they're going to keep up with this absurd time-gating, then they need to also add flying-only content with flying. Bring back stuff like Netherwing and Cloud Serpent reps. Flying used to be something that unlocked more content instead of just being a travel upgrade.
I wouldn't let Zipso fool ya. She's been around. She knows its an issue. Trolling all week.
I get why the devs think flying is antithetical to their game in its current form, but practically speaking, every time I am out in the world or in major cities I don't really see a ton of people anymore; and I play on a fairly populated server.

Whether it's sharding or just no one logs in due to lack of content; it seems at this point flying wouldn't depreciate the feel of the game.

I am usually very against flying, but at this stage it feels like whether it's in the game or not wouldn't impact the 'feel" of the world -because no one is playing.
Did Blizzard successfully force players to just 'get over it'?

I'll just say that since I don't level alts, earning flight in Legion on my old account was almost completely useless to me. I was so burned out on the map that I got no pleasure from being able to fly above it.

Knowing that's what is ultimately waiting for me in BfA, I'm in no hurry to get the expansion. I'll just wait until we're a few months away from the next expansion and fully into catch up mode. I find WoW's post-Pandaria style of map design tedious and immersion-killing, even as gorgeously rendered as they are.
Thirteen more days. I will not sub again until I know what Pathfinder II brings. If I disagree, I will come back next expansion. If I approve, I will come back before to complete it.
11/10/2018 10:42 PMPosted by Bullcritt
A lot of people quit over it. You won't see them complaining about it in the forum.

Quit the game bc of no flying... How ridiculous and dramatic people can get over nothing.
11/11/2018 05:38 AMPosted by Ryuk
11/11/2018 05:34 AMPosted by Alurinn

My question to that is: if travel is already so convenient, why withhold flying further?

If I have a choice between my instant teleport whistle/flight path or mounting up to fly myself I'll choose to fly myself every time. I don't care if the former is faster. I like to have control of my character. It's a game after all. What fun is an instant teleport then clicking a button that robs control from your character?

This i think is important, i spend so much time loading now as i teleport around. I think i actively spend more time running around in the world now in games like FF14.
I know the zones less, and i explore less now than i did with flight.
And i spend as little time out in the world as i can, its fly to spot. run to quest do it, whistle back, go to other quest, teliport back and fly out to last 2 quests based on how close they are.
And the value of what i am doing is at an all time low, not fun, and not getting much of value.
its more fun to level alts from 110-120 by doing archaeology in Pandaria...

with blue bar it's about 3500 xp a dig.

can't see sticking around past the Darkshore warfront another 6 months for flying.
No flying was one of the reasons I quit being a regular player after WoD was released. I bought both WoD and Legion, played the initial opening questline for both expansions, and then checked out.

BfA was the first time I really decided to give it another chance. After reaching 120, I returned to Draenor and grinded out Pathfinder. And I'm glad I did. It made me appreciate the expansion far more than my initial first impression. I'm currently wrapping up Pathfinder in Legion, and while I mostly feel the same way I did about Draenor Pathfinder, I won't lie. Legion's terrain is rough. It also doesn't help that many of the quests involve Heroic dungeons that can no longer be queued since it's dated content for my 120. And from what I've heard, when you were doing this when the xpac was current, it was FAR more tedious.

In short, I like the idea of Pathfinder. With six alts, it's nice to know that once Pathfinder is achieved, they'll all be able to fly in the expansion as soon as they reach the level to start questing there. All without spending any gold.

That said, I fully support the idea of flight ALSO being available via gold purchase at max level for those who'd rather go that route instead. Not everyone enjoys every aspect of every expansion. For those who'd rather farm than quest (especially for those who don't have alts), let them buy flying with gold.

Also, it would be nice if they removed the rep requirements as well for Pathfinder. The rest I get, but rep grinding for multiple factions for one common goal get's old fast. Same with having a "Part 2". Make it one achievement like WoD, and don't time gate it either. Make it available at launch.
Is flying/lack of flying still an issue?

Yes.

When I'm thinking about unsubbing, this sure isn't helping.