How are Hunters atm?

Hunter
Last I played a hunter was in Wrath. Haven't touched them too much except maybe the beginning of legion to get the artifact weapons. How are they doing currently? Been trying to figure out which class to play and am thinking of returning to my long lost Hunter.

(Was considering playing my arms warrior (341 currently) but it feels kind of slow and a little bland.)
As it stands now if you are going to hunter you should definitely learn Survival.

MM isn't good
BM is fine but a bit dull.

However if things continue like they are. Survival is probably going to be the best hunter spec.
Pretty good, BM has a lot of utility which i love and MM is good but in ST, Survival is a mistake for me it should had never gone melee.
11/11/2018 05:08 PMPosted by Pacog
Pretty good, BM has a lot of utility which i love and MM is good but in ST, Survival is a mistake for me it should had never gone melee.

This doesn't change the simple fact it is our best spec by a pretty wide margin.
I've started leveling my hunter as survival (111) and it's been pretty fun so far. Feels really powerful while leveling and from what I hear and read it's like that at 120 as well. Was considering havoc or arms as well but neither spec holds my attention for too long and with havoc being the only DH dps spec, I feel as though it'd get bland real quick.
Very solid for both pvp and pve. Viable specs for each. Would strongly recommend.
Hunter specs all have ups and downs.

Mm is in a mid life crisis and only has 1 build via traits. It is in the process of being reworked in 8.1, as next raid tier isnt out for atleast 10 weeks or so. My guess is Feb 5th for next raid tier.

BM is a solid choice as its competitve in all aspects of the game pve side, I dont pvp. It will do well the rest of the tier and most likely next tier, as I'm a firm believer that even last on logs still makes you viable.

Survival is our strongest pve spec in mythic raiding by far. It's just a melee spec is the issue, the meta is more in favor of ranged over melee. In raids and mythic+. As a side note if you parse very well and have a decent IO rating you will be invited to anything.
11/11/2018 08:15 PMPosted by Moonuredps
Hunter specs all have ups and downs.

Mm is in a mid life crisis and only has 1 build via traits. It is in the process of being reworked in 8.1, as next raid tier isnt out for atleast 10 weeks or so. My guess is Feb 5th for next raid tier.

BM is a solid choice as its competitve in all aspects of the game pve side, I dont pvp. It will do well the rest of the tier and most likely next tier, as I'm a firm believer that even last on logs still makes you viable.

Survival is our strongest pve spec in mythic raiding by far. It's just a melee spec is the issue, the meta is more in favor of ranged over melee. In raids and mythic+. As a side note if you parse very well and have a decent IO rating you will be invited to anything.

To be fair, while SV parses better, it's less in demand because there aren't that many melee dps spots and people would rather use them in DH, DK, Arms or Rogues before an SV Hunter. And in M+ BM is the best Hunter spec by a mile, simply because they have actual AoE damage (world's first M +20 had a BM Hunter, that should tell you something).

So sure, SV will get you higher ST numbers. But for LITERALLY anything else in PvE, BM is just better, and will net you easier invites. To say SV is the best Hunter spec is disingenuous at best. Not just damage-wise, SV has actually less survivability tools than BM while also being forced to be melee.

If you're playing SV because it's "the best Hunter spec" then you'd be much better off playing BM tbh.
Survival is best single target dps of the hunter specs, but it needs talent switches if you want to do decent cleave damage. Even then it is clunky and tiresome. It is also sadly the best pvp spec because you just mong onto the target and mong spam raptor/mongoose strike. Both of those hit almost twice as hard as BM's signature move.

I refuse to play a melee hunter though. I've been a hunter main since vanilla except for Legion and the only hunters that have ever melee'd were idiots. I hold the same judgement today; play a real melee class if you want to melee.

MM is broken ATM period, both in pve and pvp. End of story on that one.

BM is decent for pve. I've been topping the charts with it in every PUG I've been in, but thats not saying much for LFR. However BM sucks completely in pvp. The defensive nature of the pet is completely negated in pvp when someone tagets you. With the removal of skills like deterrence we have become more squishy than we ever have been. It's even worse if you are getting hit with magic damage. To top it all off we hit like wet noodles in pvp thanks to the ridiculous QQ that led to nerfs (they will undo the nerfs mid expansion, mark my words.

TLDR:
Survival: PvP B+, PvE B+ single, C- cleave
MM: PvP D, PvE C single, C- cleave
BM: PvP C-, PvE single B+, A cleave
11/12/2018 07:37 AMPosted by Alerka
BM is decent for pve. I've been topping the charts with it in every PUG I've been in, but thats not saying much for LFR. However BM sucks completely in pvp. The defensive nature of the pet is completely negated in pvp when someone tagets you. With the removal of skills like deterrence we have become more squishy than we ever have been. It's even worse if you are getting hit with magic damage. To top it all off we hit like wet noodles in pvp thanks to the ridiculous QQ that led to nerfs (they will undo the nerfs mid expansion, mark my words.

Outside of LFR, when you play in heroic or mythic and parse against other people who really know how to play their class, BM falls mid to bottom of DPS.

TLDR:

I mostly agree with your rating except for "A cleave" for BM. Warriors, DKs, DH, Rogues are an "A". I would give BM a B-, especially to burst dps
11/12/2018 09:32 AMPosted by Afterimage

Outside of LFR, when you play in heroic or mythic and parse against other people who really know how to play their class, BM falls mid to bottom of DPS.

TLDR:

I mostly agree with your rating except for "A cleave" for BM. Warriors, DKs, DH, Rogues are an "A". I would give BM a B-, especially to burst dps

People focus on the logs as a whole to much, who cares where we place on logs overall vs everyone in mythic, we are 100% viable. Stop worrying where we are at and try to parse well, you will be competitve if you're getting 75+ parses.

I enjoy BM so I play it, I could care less where it lands on overall logs, as we learned in Legion, last doesnt mean you're not viable.

Also BM has very solid sustained aoe but for burst aoe it's a solid "C".
BM is fun and convenient since all spells are instant cast, however our dmg is meh. I pull about 10-11k and am 369 ilvl. Mages and Rogues outdps me by a lot, but then again I'm not a hardcore raider.
11/12/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Tykho
BM is fun and convenient since all spells are instant cast, however our dmg is meh. I pull about 10-11k and am 369 ilvl. Mages and Rogues outdps me by a lot, but then again I'm not a hardcore raider.

That comes down to you though, you're a solid grey parser, no offense.

Of course others who are blue and purple parsing are crushing you. Like I said if your a solid blue or purple parser you will be competitive. Even if like you said, if you were to play a rogue or a mage and you grey parse VS a BM hunter he would crush you too, then you would be on the mage or rogue forums saying the dps is "meh".
11/12/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Moonuredps
11/12/2018 12:20 PMPosted by Tykho

Of course others who are blue and purple parsing are crushing you. Like I said if your a solid blue or purple parser you will be competitive. Even if like you said, if you were to play a rogue or a mage and you grey parse VS a BM hunter he would crush you too, then you would be on the mage or rogue forums saying the dps is "meh".
No offense taken, I'm not a hardcore player and usually just join my guild when they raid. What's this parse you're talking about though? Never heard the term before.
11/12/2018 03:22 PMPosted by Tykho
11/12/2018 01:08 PMPosted by Moonuredps

No offense taken, I'm not a hardcore player and usually just join my guild when they raid. What's this parse you're talking about though? Never heard the term before.

Warcraftlogs.com

It shows how well you did in raids per boss, it shows it vs anyone in your ilvl range.

So for instance if you parse a 23 that means you were in the 23 percentile of people in your ilvl, which is very bad, that would be a grey parse. Go to that site and look yourself up. It goes grey,green,blue,purple and orange. You want to be atleast blue.

So since I dont see mythic raiding on your logs look up your heroic or normal logs and then look up my heroic and normal logs you will see the difference in dps.

Performing your rotation and knowing.the mechanics makes it so you parse better. If you parse a 23 or so you are basically playing your class at a very low level.
11/12/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Moonuredps
11/12/2018 03:22 PMPosted by Tykho
... No offense taken, I'm not a hardcore player and usually just join my guild when they raid. What's this parse you're talking about though? Never heard the term before.

Warcraftlogs.com

It shows how well you did in raids per boss, it shows it vs anyone in your ilvl range.

So for instance if you parse a 23 that means you were in the 23 percentile of people in your ilvl, which is very bad, that would be a grey parse. Go to that site and look yourself up. It goes grey,green,blue,purple and orange. You want to be atleast blue.

So since I dont see mythic raiding on your logs look up your heroic or normal logs and then look up my heroic and normal logs you will see the difference in dps.

Performing your rotation and knowing.the mechanics makes it so you parse better. If you parse a 23 or so you are basically playing your class at a very low level.
Thanks for the info! Will def check out and utilize this site.
11/12/2018 03:54 PMPosted by Tykho
11/12/2018 03:52 PMPosted by Moonuredps

Warcraftlogs.com

Thanks for the info! Will def check out and utilize this site.

Its used for good and bad.

You can actually learn a lot and how you are messing up. For instance you can pull up a fight you are having issues with and find a good parser with sameish fight length and see what he did better.

Maybe he has 20 more kill commands or better barbed shot uptime, maybe he had more CD usage that he lined up with crows etc.

You can learn a lot from the site, but on the flip side people will use it as a wow credit score for anything you do raiding. Which can feel bad if you arent doing good, meaning less invites.
Unless they give BM and MM buffs down the line it looks like survival will keep outscaling them, so I would take the time to earn it now.
We heard this same song and dance about Survival in T19. It did NOT last.

Pretty ridiculous for people to be recommending Survival as the go-to spec for raiding. BM is still immensely more valuable, even with a damage deficit. Transparent attempt to market the spec from the usual suspects.
If you want a ranged class, look elsewhere.
MM spec is currently ST only with specific az traits.
BM's scaling feels like it fell off. Has it's uses and easy to play, but mid to bottom among competitive dps.

I'm still butthurt about survival going melee and refuse to try it. Plenty of other melee classes.