Forum Migration/new features

Battlegrounds
Prev 1 4 5 6
11/13/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Iight
11/13/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Kitanana

Back finally ?

Why would i post on the board when I barely play the game and only log on for raid

You were a pretty frequent poster, think Kit is just asking you if you're back...
11/11/2018 10:23 PMPosted by Utterly
11/11/2018 08:11 PMPosted by Jadei

Like it's not across the board. I've seen a "lol" aimed at Jugga get multiple upvotes while a constructive reply from her get nothing. People upvote on how well they like or dislike the player, not the content. Let's not pretend it's only some imaginary clique that does it.

It's not imaginary, there are at least 4 who happened upon your post. So let's not pretend you have no idea who benefits (and who doesn't) from upvotes on this forum. :)

You have 6 upvotes. Did you benefit from them?

Do you look to a gaming forum for acceptance?

The clique excuse it juvenile and shows signs of insecurity.

The people who really benefit from these forums are the ones who can tackle a debate and maybe learn something instead of blaming a meaningless voting system.
11/12/2018 08:52 AMPosted by Jdpp
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Line forms behind Bob and maybe Jugaa. Maybe me too. Oh and probably Pingaz. And... oh what the heck, just get in line.

Pingaz get the ban hammer? Haven't seen him post in forever.

I've just been doing things and stuff.

Carrying noobs through the Easter Eggs on IX and Voyage of Despair in COD Zombies mostly.
11/14/2018 06:40 AMPosted by Jaycï
The clique excuse it juvenile and shows signs of insecurity.

Not necessarily, because he is right. He's referring to the same usual people who rarely ever post anything of value, yet upvote each other to give the illusion that they're being constructive or deep. I'm sorry, but stating obvious things does not make you clever. One will say something like "yeah man, you'll either win the BG or you'll lose" and their kin will reply "Wow yeah, well thought-out" followed by a thumbs-up. I see this often and I just smile and shake my head. I've been in plenty of forums to know that they're everywhere and easy to spot.

11/14/2018 06:40 AMPosted by Jaycï
The people who really benefit from these forums are the ones who can tackle a debate

With all due respect, game forums (video game tend to be worse) attract a lot of (forgive me for using this term) but "angry nerds" with internet tough-guy syndrome that cannot stand opposition.
Not necessarily, because he is right. He's referring to the same usual people who rarely ever post anything of value, yet upvote each other to give the illusion that they're being constructive or deep. I'm sorry, but stating obvious things does not make you clever. One will say something like "yeah man, you'll either win the BG or you'll lose" and their kin will reply "Wow yeah, well thought-out" followed by a thumbs-up. I see this often and I just smile and shake my head. I've been in plenty of forums to know that they're everywhere and easy to spot.

How can you tell who is upvoting who and why do you care?

11/14/2018 10:12 AMPosted by Greyhide
With all due respect, game forums (video game tend to be worse) attract a lot of (forgive me for using this term) but "angry nerds" with internet tough-guy syndrome that cannot stand opposition.

There is a difference between debating and trolling. You just described trolling. Don’t feed trolls.
11/14/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Jaycï
How can you tell who is upvoting who and why do you care?

Some key factors are that they tend to stick to each other's threads often and usually have the same number of systematic thumbs. There are some of them in this very thread. Once you start to keep an eye on the telltales, they become easy to spot.

Why do I care? I guess "care" isn't the right term. I just find it a little amusing.

11/14/2018 10:27 AMPosted by Jaycï
There is a difference between debating and trolling. You just described trolling. Don’t feed trolls.

Not always true. Some people are just angry, even if they're not trolling. There are those who cannot "tackle a debate" (I like that, by the way) but they thrive off the attention. Some people have no friends in real life and it's common for people like that to get "attention" from random people on forums to fill that void.
Upvotes are silly to focus on, just like downvotes were.
Don't worry Grey, I always upvote you.
Some key factors are that they tend to stick to each other's threads often and usually have the same number of systematic thumbs. There are some of them in this very thread. Once you start to keep an eye on the telltales, they become easy to spot.

Why do I care? I guess "care" isn't the right term. I just find it a little amusing.

Confirmation bias. Lose that and you’ll see things with a more open mind.

11/14/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Greyhide
Not always true. Some people are just angry, even if they're not trolling. There are those who cannot "tackle a debate" (I like that, by the way) but they thrive off the attention. Some people have no friends in real life and it's common for people like that to get "attention" from random people on forums to fill that void.

I don’t get that vibe since they are the ones who actually connect with other players. They are the antithesis of socially awkward.
11/14/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Jaycï
Confirmation bias. Lose that and you’ll see things with a more open mind.

How is it bias?

11/14/2018 10:58 AMPosted by Jaycï
I don’t get that vibe since they are the ones who actually connect with other players. They are the antithesis of socially awkward.

I guess it's all in how you look at it. I can see connecting with players in a positive and negative way. Which that may be, can be a matter of opinion.

Thank you for the chat. I hope you have a great day.
11/13/2018 08:06 PMPosted by Iight
11/13/2018 02:48 PMPosted by Kitanana

Back finally ?

Why would i post on the board when I barely play the game and only log on for raid

You are posting now
11/11/2018 06:48 PMPosted by Inemia
and 33 people upvote it, then it will look popular, the only way to counter this or downvote after a fashion is for someone else to make a post stating that pineapple on pizza sucks, and the people who upvote that post are effectively downvoting my post.

a visible downvote on every post is much cleaner and it eliminates having to create a counter post just to pseudo-downvote.

or just engage in a discussion/contradiction about why you disagree with pineapple on pizza.

I'd take a good contradiction over press a downvote button any day.