island expeditions loot 'a secret'...

General Discussion
Island Expedition Rewards
The team believes that the community has done well with figuring out how Island Expeditions rewards work. They did try something new with the way rewards drop but can't say it's EXACTLY how the system works. They like there to be some sort of discovery involved in the game.

Seriously? The players have to figure out how the loot system works and that's INTENDED?
The 'discovery' involved in the game is for us to 'discover' how loot works?

This feels... so... crazy i can't even get mad, it just sounds funny. Very wrong direction for the game imo.
Cut them some slack. Im sure they noticed Island expos were boring. So they tried to spice it up by not telling anyone anything.

Remember how much fun and excitement you had when no one knew how or why the war front timers/resets were doing what they were doing.... good times

Some people say no that is just poor communication. Not I! It is like a 2 year long episode of Mr. Robot. I still have no idea what is going on and no one will tell me! So much fun.
I actually find it interesting how people have tried to figure out how the mechanics work and from the sounds of it they aren't far off.

Really all island expeditions need is less trash and a higher drop rate to make me want to do them again.
If I had my way there would be far more of this sort of discovery and exploration in the game.

Want to find a treasure box? No marks on the map, total random placement to avoid the use of add ons. You hunt them down and find them and that makes the fun of getting a treasure box part of the game enjoyment.

Put more hidden things and places and items in the game, randomize them to avoid pattern detection.

Hell, if I could design a truly innovative instance, it would be completely random every time you went in. Same basic map but pitfalls, traps, different mobs at different places, different bosses dropping different things. THAT would be a way to reduce the level of dungeon boredom to zero.

11/12/2018 08:09 PMPosted by Luthessa
Very wrong direction for the game imo.

Absolutely opposite to how I feel. Far too much is handed to players now, its turning into a Candy Crush level of immersive, creative play. The more people have to actually think, the more fun it is.
I think you have a lack of understanding as to how random things in games or in general really work, It's impossible to have total random placement, even roguelike/lites rooms develop into patterns, humans are really really good at finding patterns so it would take less than a month maybe 2 weeks tops for players to find the patterns

Placements like herbs, nodes, treasure HAVE to be designated even if there are plentiful spots to make it look random there is a reason addons exist for herbing and mining farm routes, if blizzard doesn't give you that SOMEONE else will develop an add on to do it for you and then players will complain as to why blizz didn't add them on the map in the first place

You can't make it 100% random and as such the only thing having the treasures on the map does is prevent having to use an add on to find said treasures.
I ran a few heroic Island Expeditions this weekend. After 6 runs I had 2 satchels that contained a total of 17 dubloons. That's it. 3 of the groups were just there to focus of rares/elites - apparently to get pet/mount/mog drops. I quickly lost interest because it seemed like way to little reward for time invested.

So yeah - not fun.
The lack of transparency for how expedition loot works is somewhat annoying.

The HUGE problem is that there are competing goals for IEs (ease + speed vs. careful + loot), and the way they're set up they strongly encourages players to play for speed and not for loot. So dumb.
I'm not enjoying it as much as the devs.

As rush-rush group content, I find it's a horrible environment for discovery. I'm noticing slowly increasing amounts of drama as people stress about being grouped with people not subscribing to the same superstitions about the optimal way to play and I feel constantly burdened with a sense I'm wasting my time repeating behaviour that may or may not even be giving me a roll towards my goals.

I don't think that you need secrecy about how the system itself works with procedural content (although I realize that islands are more pseudo-procedural). There is more than enough mystery simply in what events one will discover/unlock as the expedition progresses.
11/12/2018 09:00 PMPosted by Softcoyote
You can't make it 100% random and as such the only thing having the treasures on the map does is prevent having to use an add on to find said treasures.

10 years ago I would never have believed that a game like WoW would exist, could never have imagined the depth of detail in it.

I never say never. Developers and programmers are clever people. If they put their minds to it I reckon they could come up with a totally random placement of things in the game that was impossible to track via add ons (perhaps by some clever programming system that block that). Naturally it would be limited by the geography of the landscape but within that, who knows what might be possible?
Island Expedition Rewards
The team believes that the community has done well with figuring out how Island Expeditions rewards work. They did try something new with the way rewards drop but can't say it's EXACTLY how the system works. They like there to be some sort of discovery involved in the game.

Seriously? The players have to figure out how the loot system works and that's INTENDED?
The 'discovery' involved in the game is for us to 'discover' how loot works?

This feels... so... crazy i can't even get mad, it just sounds funny. Very wrong direction for the game imo.

I guess they don't realize people actually need to feel rewarded when doing boring content and that a group of 3 random people aren't likely to want to take the time to figure out things like this.

What I discovered about island expeditions, is if I want most of the rewards it will be far better for me to wait an expansion or two and then just solo them if we are allowed.
Most of it wasn't even that clever. Want to know where the goat minipet comes from? Could it be the goat mobs?
Having run a fair number of IE both ways, I am unconvinced of idea that rares you kill set the final loot table.

Other than people's suppositions, I've seen no solid evidence. I haven't noticed a difference in my own runs or that the few drops I've gotten always correlated to rares we killed. I think it correlates to the island and the rares available. I think I've gotten pets that don't map to a rare we've killed.
it's stylistically designed to be that way and we can't undo that. but we can lessen the effect
The secret is that the loot system is contradictory to the gameplay of the mode. They don't want to tell you that "killing rares and mobs is the only thing that matters" because then you ignore the enemy, you ignore mining nodes, you ignore chests, and you ignore quests.
Yes my friends and I are enjoying it
Yeeah, this is old news but 100% agreed.

Not telling us every detail about a new feature or patch or whatever is one thing, and in fact something I wish there was more of in WoW rather than every detail being datamined and publicly shared months before it every releases, but this isn't that. We're not exploring a world here, we're not learning the nuances of how to move through that content. It's loot.

Loot should be understood. If something is rare, fine, but we should know what it comes from. We shouldn't have to fumble through unintuitive trial and error to figure out that island expedition drops depend on you killing specific named mobs rather than just RNG like all the other loot in the game.
i hope all 10 people who do them figure out the puzzle box that is island rewards.
11/12/2018 11:03 PMPosted by Walburgha
Having run a fair number of IE both ways, I am unconvinced of idea that rares you kill set the final loot table.

Other than people's suppositions, I've seen no solid evidence. I haven't noticed a difference in my own runs or that the few drops I've gotten always correlated to rares we killed. I think it correlates to the island and the rares available. I think I've gotten pets that don't map to a rare we've killed.

Basically from what I understand and have witnessed myself is that at the end of the game it does a /roll to see if you got loot and if you win something other than doubloons it checks to see what things you killed and gives you a piece of loot related to it.

This can be seen the best with the quest items. I got one involving the mantid that is worded in such a way that it wouldn't have made much sense if I hadn't been killing matids that game.

There are still some things I don't know about though such as whether or not I need to hit a rare to be eligible or can I be on the other side of the map and have my group kill them and still get loot.
11/13/2018 12:00 AMPosted by Farora
11/12/2018 11:03 PMPosted by Walburgha

Basically from what I understand and have witnessed myself is that at the end of the game it does a /roll to see if you got loot and if you win something other than doubloons it checks to see what things you killed and gives you a piece of loot related to it.

This can be seen the best with the quest items. I got one involving the mantid that is worded in such a way that it wouldn't have made much sense if I hadn't been killing matids that game.

There are still some things I don't know about though such as whether or not I need to hit a rare to be eligible or can I be on the other side of the map and have my group kill them and still get loot.

You could never leave the boat and still get loot. Do not remember if it was wowhead or mmoc who tested this but it is confirmed.
11/12/2018 08:25 PMPosted by Reull
If I had my way there would be far more of this sort of discovery and exploration in the game.

Want to find a treasure box? No marks on the map, total random placement to avoid the use of add ons. You hunt them down and find them and that makes the fun of getting a treasure box part of the game enjoyment.

Put more hidden things and places and items in the game, randomize them to avoid pattern detection.

Hell, if I could design a truly innovative instance, it would be completely random every time you went in. Same basic map but pitfalls, traps, different mobs at different places, different bosses dropping different things. THAT would be a way to reduce the level of dungeon boredom to zero.

Very wrong direction for the game imo.

Absolutely opposite to how I feel. Far too much is handed to players now, its turning into a Candy Crush level of immersive, creative play. The more people have to actually think, the more fun it is.

couldnt agree more with this