Wow this Timewalking thing really shows something..

General Discussion
Prev 1 8 9 10 14 Next
At this point I’m just not tanking or healing, too frustrating with the current scaling.
11/14/2018 10:13 AMPosted by Nyalmi
At think point I’m just not tanking or healing, too frustrating with the current scaling.

I made that decision in WoD and now only tank or heal for guild.

Happy and no regrets.
11/13/2018 08:18 PMPosted by Hirai

I don't know what you're smoking, but can I have some?

You're trying to tell me that I should take my 280-290 fresh 120s into m0, you know, where people are checking Raider.io? There's been threads here complaining about people checking Raider.io on m0. M-freaking-zero.

290 isn't even enough for Heroic, IIRC, let alone Mythic.

Getting a 320 weapon on a 290 fresh 120 is awesome. It really makes gearing up a lot easier. And it isn't just the 320 weapon, it's also a pair of trinkets, a cape, legs, and a belt. All 320. The moment you ding 120.

Idk how bad you are. But damn, if you think tanking prot pally m0s at 270 ilvl is hard then you're straight bad. A lot of us did it at the beginning of the xpac. It's only gotten easier with a lot of randos at 340-350 still running m0s. Even running as a dps, make your own group.

Please don't say "us" and "tanking" when clearly all of your raid acheivements outside of BFA were attained far after your outleveled them. This does not make you an expert. Also, if you were an ilvl 270 jumping into a m0, you were being carried. Enough grandstanding.

Timewalking is absolutely, beyond contest, the easiest way to gear a new 120, unless you have a good carry group. Even then, it could take much longer. One TW, turn in the quest, and you have enough of the currency to buy all 320 gear. In under an hour, you can enter warfronts.
TW isn't hard.

It's the people that make it harder than it needs to be.

Ran mana tombs on my shaman and our group wiped at least 5 times.

Tank pulled bosses twice without fully clearing the room, aggroing everything. Wasn't mindful of patrols or mana bars, so him rushing ahead resulted in the healer constantly getting trapped while drinking, poor positioning of mobs who feared/horrored and breaking CC.

People who didn't start playing until Cata or mists aren't going to understand wrath and TBC dungeons have an entirely different approach to them and lash out at group members for their own failings.
11/13/2018 09:32 PMPosted by Hirai
Heck, *Warfronts* require 320. And you think people who just dinged 120 and are still in 280 quested gear should jump straight into Mythic? lol.

After the WF is won, you get the quests, follow, or join a group, get the 350 cache first, then do the world boss in there with a bonus roll. After that, do the rares, either wait around to tag, or stay in a group. As a fresh 120 thats what i did 3 days ago and walked out of Arathi with a 320ilvl and am now 330 just from WQ's.

Its easy enough if you wait to gear an alt until after the WF is won, then anyone 120 can accept the quests and use the portal.

TW is a total waste of time.
11/14/2018 10:18 AMPosted by Xylok
TW isn't hard.

It's the people that make it harder than it needs to be.

Ran mana tombs on my shaman and our group wiped at least 5 times.

Tank pulled bosses twice without fully clearing the room, aggroing everything. Wasn't mindful of patrols or mana bars, so him rushing ahead resulted in the healer constantly getting trapped while drinking, poor positioning of mobs who feared/horrored and breaking CC.

People who didn't start playing until Cata or mists aren't going to understand wrath and TBC dungeons have an entirely different approach to them and lash out at group members for their own failings.

So much this.

The first one I got was Mana Tombs. I went out of my way to pull the big voidys back into the previous room/hall. Two of the DPS got all antsy, forcing me to reestablish aggro a couple times to finish kiting back. Ten seconds later a fear went off with plenty of room to spare.

This is how dungeons worked back then. You didn't just charge every pack unless you liked getting a patrol up your !@#$ or fear bombed across the whole room.
Gonna tank some runs tonight! I'm feeling some TBC nostalgia.

My only complaint about timewalking is that they leave out some of the best dungeons. Where's Shadow Labs? Botanica? Durnholde? Blood Furnace? Sethekk?
You know you can use 5 legionaries to help with timewalkers?

2 Legion
Ring from WoD
Cloak from Mist
Weapon from whatever expansion had your weapon.
Good reminder on legiondaries.

Going home to knock some of these out. Fun times.
These dungeons were not built for speed runs. The were built for well organized groups that had proper communication and cohesion. Not much of that exists outside of organized raiding guilds anymore.
11/13/2018 04:22 PMPosted by Hirai
11/13/2018 04:20 PMPosted by Softbottom
Im glad I don't do timewalking lol.

Well, it's the best way to get a decent weapon for a fresh 120 character, unless you want to spend 3 weeks+ grinding out WQs. Unless you get extremely lucky with an Emissary reward or something once you get an I-level high enough that it'd spit out a 320.

Or get carried into a raid or something but even then, Personal Loot on everything.

Or just cap conquest once and get a guaranteed 345 weapon
11/14/2018 10:30 AMPosted by Quebacon
You know you can use 5 legionaries to help with timewalkers?

2 Legion
Ring from WoD
Cloak from Mist
Weapon from whatever expansion had your weapon.

Quick note about the WoD ring - I'm not entirely sure about this, but I seem to recall, at least during Legion, that it was more beneficial to instead equip the third stage epic ring before you got the actual legendary, because of how the ring was adjusted (instead of doing 25% damage it does 0%? - feel free to correct me on this)

Some off items from Legion are also very good - like the ring that reduces 10% damage (10% is 10% is 10%, flat) some of the later stage trinkets as well as the darkmoon tank trink from legion is pretty good. OH, and Legion tier set bonuses are active in TW.

Also - MoP and WoD weapon enchants are , I think, preferable to BfA enchants. (make an heirloom, slap an enchant on - you have a permanent weapon for your TW set)
I tanked the five on my prot warrior and found the whole experience to be absolutely frustrating. It could be the sorry state of prot warriors, or it could be effects of the squish, but I was getting trucked by trash. I used CD's on constant rotation, so we didn't die, but wow...it was very tough to tank some of those pulls.

Aside from that, people with Laser Matrix pulling whole rooms or at the very least excess packs, along with impatient people pulling intentionally or unintentionally, it was just a complete cluster most of the time.

I wouldn't recommend doing them if you don't have to.
11/13/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Lillyann
Trash was the worst in one of my 5 runs today. Tank taking 1/3 of his health a shot. I can only spam flash heal so much.

Not saying this was your issue or not, but as a healer myself, I know when a tank isn't using their defensives. Good thing the DPS in that run were on point.

90% of the time, the issue is solved with focus targeting the right mob and/or just being good at interrupting specific casts. The issue is nobody seems to interrupt, they just seem to think healers can heal through everything. Which isn't true at all.
11/14/2018 10:55 AMPosted by Preciouskinz
11/13/2018 04:10 PMPosted by Lillyann
Trash was the worst in one of my 5 runs today. Tank taking 1/3 of his health a shot. I can only spam flash heal so much.

Not saying this was your issue or not, but as a healer myself, I know when a tank isn't using their defensives. Good thing the DPS in that run were on point.

90% of the time, the issue is solved with focus targeting the right mob and/or just being good at interrupting specific casts. The issue is nobody seems to interrupt, they just seem to think healers can heal through everything. Which isn't true at all.

This too. Skull/X went up on every pull.

Note that since we do have more interrupt and live control options these days, priorities can even shift accordingly. In Slave Pens I'd mark the nether rays over priestesses because I have three ways to stop a heal, but that fear bomb HAS to be dropped fast.
there's weird mechanics in some of that old content.

can't blame people for not studying stupid old mechanics for obsolete content that will never get played unless it's timewalking week-end.

cmon now.
Yeah, BC dungeons seem to require a lot of precision on the tank's part. One mistake in positioning could lead to a wipe, which I discovered yesterday through several very close calls.

However, I find stacking the deck makes tanking timewalking dungeons much easier. The MoP Legendary Cloak, using two Legion Legendaries, and picking up a few older items to enchant specifically for use in timewalking. I have a Burnished Quel'Serrar enchanted with River's Song that I can use in BC and WotLK timewalking. Anything else you can find that has a special effect, like the Bulwark of Azzinoth or some of the weapons from Dragon Soul are very helpful.

I don't find timewalking to be unusually difficult or frustrating, but I've taken a lot of time to prepare, and it seems to pay off. Diving in with little to no preparation is something I've seen many random groups before, and as awesome as it is to finish the first boss of a dungeon solo, that's not how anyone wants to start their run.
11/14/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Tekdh

can't blame people for not studying stupid old mechanics for obsolete content that will never get played unless it's timewalking week-end.

cmon now.

Well then you cant blame people for not being happy about wiping because the group doesn't know the mechanics.
You can kind of tell they were made for the days of "unhittable" mitigation on Warriors and Paladins or the general beefiness of Bear. I actually prefer to do these on my other tanks over Blood because some packs are parry, have RP ready for Death Strike, or die - even when you have the RP for Death Strike, Burning Crusade trash was really liberal with Mortal Strike effects and other nastiness.

Now, I ran these when they were relevant back in the day (obviously not on BDK, Brew, or Vengeance) and they were much easier. Between having that beautiful "I don't take non-magical damage that isn't at least blocked" spot of stat stacking and running with a specific group who knew when and where to CC.

But this is supposed to be a fun holiday event, not an act of penance.
11/14/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Tekdh

cmon now.

There is no excuse for not knowing these. even I remember them and i was pretty much trashed for saying you need to CC and you can not rush these. I actually left 1 cause the d*mn people were so STUPID and yes I am saying THAT. STUPID they refused to listen and after a 154 plate repair I said ENOUGH.

I even asked did any of you even play BC? Everyone said NO and yet everyone knew better than me and said it's taking to long. IF you played in BC like I did I remember these dungeons took a good amount of time to do. I do remember some being over 45 minutes long if not longer.

The player base is use to easy mode leave them the way they are. I like them and I enjoy the tears and rage of people who refuse to listen. I can always re-que as tank and get done perfectly fine .

But people have said what needs to be done to get pass these mobs and yet some are still screaming over tuned.