How hard is AQ?

Classic Discussion
11/14/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Banja
My guess is most of the people saying how "AQ was so easy" got 1-3 bosses into AQ20, likely never really set foot in AQ40.

Just because this is one topic I 100% see no other way, it isn't because we didn't "enter" AQ but because I personally, along with 99.9%%%% of the player base was garbage compared to the skill set and understanding we now possess. There LITERALLY are no mechanics for fights until mid to late AQ (which is generous) and Naxx.

I played on a poor dell laptop without a mouse... Mind you not everyone was this bad but if you HAVEN'T gotten worlds better since 15 years ago then I feel for ya...
There LITERALLY are no mechanics for fights until mid to late AQ (which is generous) and Naxx.

You've got to be kidding me. Just because you aren't bombarded by visual goo every few seconds like retail doesn't mean there are no mechanics. How about you name one, just one, fight that fits your claim of "LITERALLY are no mechanics"...
11/14/2018 11:28 AMPosted by Ellilaine
There LITERALLY are no mechanics for fights until mid to late AQ (which is generous) and Naxx.

You've got to be kidding me. Just because you aren't bombarded by visual goo every few seconds like retail doesn't mean there are no mechanics. How about you name one, just one, fight that fits your claim of "LITERALLY are no mechanics"...

If the bosses causes no movement, no use of raid cds and no use of tank cooldowns, is it really doing any mechanic? lol
20 was easy once you leaned the fights, 40 I got to the twins then the guild feel apart but it was more of a challenge for sure.
11/14/2018 11:10 AMPosted by Babyrabbits
11/14/2018 09:16 AMPosted by Banja
My guess is most of the people saying how "AQ was so easy" got 1-3 bosses into AQ20, likely never really set foot in AQ40.

Just because this is one topic I 100% see no other way, it isn't because we didn't "enter" AQ but because I personally, along with 99.9%%%% of the player base was garbage compared to the skill set and understanding we now possess. There LITERALLY are no mechanics for fights until mid to late AQ (which is generous) and Naxx.

I played on a poor dell laptop without a mouse... Mind you not everyone was this bad but if you HAVEN'T gotten worlds better since 15 years ago then I feel for ya...

The fact that players were not as good as now is true. However, as big a factor was the fact that ppl were simply not as well geared as now, as gearing was hugely more difficult as it is now. If you were not running end game dungeons... a LOT, you were not really prepared for raiding. Illidan was right.....

If the bosses causes no movement, no use of raid cds and no use of tank cooldowns, is it really doing any mechanic? lol

If the boss uses an ability that, if not properly handled, will wipe the raid I'd call it a mechanic. Then again, I played when every class didn't have some sort of short cooldown raid CD and people had to use all their class abilities in fights...

Garr is probably closes to no mechanics.
Its 8 adds with increaseing attack speed when adds die. (Do they do damage when killed or just knock back i forget)
He was also the boss we killed with fewest attempts in mc (maybe a week to progress because we had like 2 warlocks and only 3 tanks at the time)
11/14/2018 11:34 AMPosted by Ellilaine
Then again, I played when every class didn't have some sort of short cooldown raid CD and people had to use all their class abilities in fights...

You realize so did we...

All i'm arguing for is how easy raids will be from a mechanical / instance standpoint. The actual difficulty will be in the time it takes to get "X" gear that you may need to clear said boss you're stuck on, not the actual boss's difficulty level.

I guess a better way of stating "no mechanics" is clarifying that mechanics are so easy that it's just what the boss brings, not something skillful a player needs to do.
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Garr is probably closes to no mechanics.
Its 8 adds with increaseing attack speed when adds die. (Do they do damage when killed or just knock back i forget)
He was also the boss we killed with fewest attempts in mc (maybe a week to progress because we had like 2 warlocks and only 3 tanks at the time)

They do damage. There's also the "don't pull the adds too far or they enrage" thing, and the aoe dispel thing, and the aoe slow thing...

You realize so did we...

Some did, some clearly didn't. There's also a fair number that equate dodging visual goo with difficulty and refuse to accept that fights could be difficult without the goo everywhere of modern fights...
The reality is the only people that will ever know how difficult the fights actually were are those that actually played in vanilla. I could never understand why I couldn't get the heigan dance right in vanilla. Now I realise it's because I was playing on a junk PC with super low resolution.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qc39R1zeXJ4

This video perfectly captures how tightly tuned Vanilla raids were. Sure the over-all mechanics throughout the fight were less demanding than Mythic, but the room for error is almost non-existent in many cases.
my first experience with c'thun, the last boss in aq40:
walk in door, instantly killed by laser beam.
no mechanical way to dodge it.

twin emps were tough at level. even
into wotlk, twin emps were tough.
My guild cleared most of BWL when we 1st started AQ40. We whiped on 1st trash pull :/
Ye its a lot harder than previous raids.
11/14/2018 02:01 PMPosted by Rongente
My guild cleared most of BWL when we 1st started AQ40. We whiped on 1st trash pull :/
Ye its a lot harder than previous raids.

Tell those druids and paladins to keep the $%^*ing tanks alive because the priests are busy keeping the raid from blowing up... :p
11/14/2018 10:36 AMPosted by Zenshigen
<span class="truncated">...</span>

I can't say 100% about BfA but the harder AQ40 trash was absolutely harder than the normal Legion raiding I did.

Believe it or not Mr. WoD, the game used to actually have trash that wasn't a complete joke...

Hes implying trash was harder than boss fights in retail lol, when your average vanilla raid boss had 1 or 2 mechanics. See why no one takes you seriously guys? most of you are unable to admit when an aspect of the game was extremely simple.
Who are you to speak? lol, looks like you started playing at the very end of 2014... So WoD? No one is gonna take you seriously, nor should they.
bombarded by visual goo
C'thun is still my favorite boss fight.
11/14/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Zenshigen
11/14/2018 09:08 AMPosted by Below
HuHu was the guild breaker
Vicidius was a boss few did, easier for the horde
Cthun was on par or slightly below the last few bosses in Nax

Cthun trash mobs were harder than normal BFA raids

Captain rosetints everyone.

Guy who never played Vanilla everyone!
I’m going to laugh when some get destroyed in mc.. veal is gonna be funny too
Be surprised if half the raids don’t wipe their first time at the fire elementals right inside MC entrance when they fail to nuke the little adds and they spawn to overwhelming levels.