How hard is AQ?

Classic Discussion
11/14/2018 04:35 PMPosted by Härländ
11/14/2018 09:18 AMPosted by Zenshigen

Captain rosetints everyone.

Guy who never played Vanilla everyone!

Come on.. it was his other account.
The one boss with the least mechanics that people found the hardest imo was thaddius.

It has litterally one thing you have to do, walk to the other side if your debuff changes. The sheer number of people who can !@#$ that up is astounding.
Oh and i forgot the jump. Some one always screwed up the jump.
11/14/2018 07:13 PMPosted by Flåm
The one boss with the least mechanics that people found the hardest imo was thaddius.

It has litterally one thing you have to do, walk to the other side if your debuff changes. The sheer number of people who can !@#$ that up is astounding.

/raises hand
guilty. can never get that jump.
ill put it to ya this way. you can go into aq 40 with a feral druid, but good luck getting in naxx (Full run, not trash mobs)
11/14/2018 06:58 PMPosted by Savax
11/14/2018 04:35 PMPosted by Härländ

Guy who never played Vanilla everyone!

Come on.. it was his other account.

Oh my mistake, the one that's a Rank 1 Gladiator and 2 time Rank 14 Highwarlord and he killed KT 2 days after patch 1.11 went live.
Vanilla is going to be nowhere near as hard as you remember it in retail.

I've been in pugs that have 6/6 cleared Sunwell Plateau on my BC server.
I think part of vanilla difficulty was also the fact that most people back then had dial up internet and potato pcs
Who remembers the term "Gear check" this is AQ40 in a nutshell.

AQ40 is difficult, in that there are multiple gear checks. I was lucky enough to join a guild in which they were on twin Emps at the time.

I was also lucky enough to be in the raid for their 1st C'thun kill.

I barely rem the rest lol... soooooo long ago. I just rem having to sit out until I had the min amount of nature resistance.

Yeah but it only took one person in 40 to lose concentration at the wrong time to wipe. I expect raids will still wipe like crazy on it. And yeah someone always screwed up the jump... I did once and I was mortified.
11/14/2018 07:37 PMPosted by Wyldleaf

Yeah but it only took one person in 40 to lose concentration at the wrong time to wipe. I expect raids will still wipe like crazy on it. And yeah someone always screwed up the jump... I did once and I was mortified.

well the upside is, we can practice the jump on retail naxx. hehe
11/14/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Zenshigen
Vanilla raid difficulty hovers somewhere between LFR and normal raids for retail
Well that's just a straight up lie.

There isn't a single boss mechanic in vanilla that is as dumbed down as LFR. If you mess up, you wipe.
11/14/2018 03:02 AMPosted by Livinshadow
There are two aq raids, one is very easy and the other has bosses that could ruin a guild.

I remember my first time into harder aq side c'thun someone ran in front of door way dead I ran in front of door way laser beam dead.

Should be much easier then nax, you see more players with it then nax in classic.

You see mechanics in the harder one with mind control fighting more than one boss npc at a time.

LEARN HOW TO USE THEN/THAN..... XD

One of my favorites. Was a difficult fight to heal. Not only internet connections, but server stability played a huge role in this fight. Some of the high pop servers would only attemp him in off peak hours.
11/14/2018 08:54 PMPosted by Apropos
11/14/2018 08:14 AMPosted by Zenshigen
Vanilla raid difficulty hovers somewhere between LFR and normal raids for retail
Well that's just a straight up lie.

There isn't a single boss mechanic in vanilla that is as dumbed down as LFR. If you mess up, you wipe.

Constantly hear this nonsense from retail players. Most dungeons in vanilla are harder than lfr.
11/14/2018 09:43 PMPosted by Wyldleaf
Constantly hear this nonsense from retail players. Most dungeons in vanilla are harder than lfr.

They are. You're not guaranteed to beat a dungeon just by entering a queue. Even in the low level dungeons, you need to actually pay attention, too. It also requires time investment and - if you want to do the quests for it - preparation.

It's something I'm looking forward to.
AQ40 is overall pretty easy. Especially with newer strategies developed from private server experience. However C'thun is still a MAJOR roadblock for all but the best of guilds, simply because it only takes 1 person to wipe the raid in an instant. For the average guild, 95% of your wipes early on will be within the first 10~ seconds trying to enter the room, chaining eye beam just taking out your entire raid or a big enough chunk that you cant continue. No wipe recovery possible and you're stuck running from the entrance of the raid all the way back (about a 10+ minute run plus rebuffing). Not to mention people will occasionally step too far out and agro c'thun while the raid is still buffing and cause yet another wipe and run back. It can take a long time to get past that point because the run back and rebuff time really eats into a raid night and can be very demoralizing for people.
C'thun also has my personal favorite death. ( never did beat him in vanilla ).

Standing there minding my business, out of range of the chain just dpsing.
Some warr gets knocked back, at the same time the nearest person to me gets chained, bounces off the warr thats flying through the air into me. Splat dead mage.
11/14/2018 09:50 PMPosted by Mandosz
AQ40 is overall pretty easy. Especially with newer strategies developed from private server experience. However C'thun is still a MAJOR roadblock for all but the best of guilds, simply because it only takes 1 person to wipe the raid in an instant. For the average guild, 95% of your wipes early on will be within the first 10~ seconds trying to enter the room, chaining eye beam just taking out your entire raid or a big enough chunk that you cant continue. No wipe recovery possible and you're stuck running from the entrance of the raid all the way back (about a 10+ minute run plus rebuffing). Not to mention people will occasionally step too far out and agro c'thun while the raid is still buffing and cause yet another wipe and run back. It can take a long time to get past that point because the run back and rebuff time really eats into a raid night and can be very demoralizing for people.

and that bug gauntlet really throws a wrench into it too.
40 good players for cthun is not a common thing and the post about .04% success on cthun in OG is very accurate as no guilds killed him until after blizzard nerfed.
in aq40 i can certainly tell you this:
certain fights are very demanding of elemental resistance and cleansers.

viscidus is probably the biggest offender of this since most of the fight involves having a bunch of mages and wand users spaming rank 1 frostbolt and ice element wands to cause it to split so u can begin damage phase.