RIP West Virginia

Wyrmrest Accord
Today is Reclamation Day, Wyrmrest.

Bethesda was content only for a short period of time to nuke Boston. Now they're going after all of West Virginia. Sylvanas should take notes.

Who has played the game so far? What are your opinions on it? All I've heard is the whining of amateur streamers complaining that it's an MMO, something they told us it would be from the start.

Feel free to leave contact names or whatever here if you want to group up in the wasteland. I'll be diving in later to see what's up.
I played the beta at a friends house, it was exactly what I expected it would be.

I hope you enjoy it, but it's not for me.
Its a lot of fun, honestly. Wandering aimlessly with friends is all I wanted in a fallout game. Although I dislike randos, becomes pretty crowded quickly in some places.

I expect it to get even better once the private servers are released until than if you're interested I have one tip. Do not play it alone, you will get bored. It is not a single player game and it very much feels like it wasnt built to be one.
I'm taking a wait-and-see approach, which is a first for me for a Fallout game. Besides... playing this way too much to consider jumping into something else for a while. x_x
I had it, but got a refund on it. It just felt so lacking..and the first thing I had to do was disable voice chat, the first thing I heard out of the vault was a bunch of racial slurs.

On top of that, there is no text chat, which is an amazingly huge downside for me, since I can't listen / talk on voice chats.

Funny enough, I cannot remove the game from my PC now since it got refunded before I had a chance to uninstall it, so now it's stuck there until I repurchase it..which I'm not going to do..any attempts at uninstalling it just says I can't.
I wont be touching it with a ten foot pole until private servers come out - and we'll see about after, if I can get it for maybe half the price. Somehow, playing a Fallout game with no story past what can be found on terminals, notes, or robots, where you have to rely on other players to help make the fun since Bethesda couldn't be bothered, and where griefing is going to be rampant even with the lazy attempts to fix it Bethesda made doesn't appeal to me.

RP wont even be an option for me if they don't set up a text chat. That leaves exploring the world with friends until you've seen it all and suddenly, everything stops being remotely interesting.

I'm glad there are people enjoying it, I just hope this doesn't become Bethesda's future and cause them to stop creating massively open world singleplayer RPG's with actual story you get to partake in to some degree or another.

11/14/2018 07:57 AMPosted by Sunwhisper
Funny enough, I cannot remove the game from my PC now since it got refunded before I had a chance to uninstall it, so now it's stuck there until I repurchase it..which I'm not going to do..any attempts at uninstalling it just says I can't.

Also this.

The game was riddled with so many embarrassing bugs during the beta Bethesda probably only made a cursory effort to fix. I don't know if the bugs made it out of beta, but the connection originally wasn't encrypted in any way apparently. People could get your IP Address, information about your character, and god knows what else they could do.

Even for a -beta-, that's a new low.

Then there was the speed-hacking, the absolute refusal to insert -any- form of key-rebinding...
I had it, but got a refund on it. It just felt so lacking..and the first thing I had to do was disable voice chat, the first thing I heard out of the vault was a bunch of racial slurs.

On top of that, there is no text chat, which is an amazingly huge downside for me, since I can't listen / talk on voice chats.

I can see those being some common gripes, for sure.

Can you delete the files? Lol. Only thing I can think of.

Playing fallout by yourself feels like something you should be able to do, even if this isn't a traditional fallout game.

I wonder, are there any key differences between fallout 4 and 76, aside from the obvious one being solo and the other not, that make the game better? Any revolutionary design choices, or is it kinda just Fallout 4 with sightly better graphics and a different setting?
11/14/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Topsail

I can see those being some common gripes, for sure.

Playing fallout by yourself feels like something you should be able to do, even if this isn't a traditional fallout game.

I wonder, are there any key differences between fallout 4 and 76, aside from the obvious one being solo and the other not, that make the game better? Any revolutionary design choices, or is it kinda just Fallout 4 with sightly better graphics and a different setting?

Multiplayer is it, from what I've seen. Otherwise, the game has nothing in it that improves on the Fallout Formula. Everything else, besides maybe the gunplay, is lesser. Settlement building barely exists from what I've been told, and so on.
I play Fallout games for the "lone survivor" atmosphere, the interesting storylines and quests and the ability to be any kind of person you want.

Fallout 76 has no story as there's no humans except other players, which also removes the lone survivor aspect, and being evil is actively, incredibly punished since the only way to be evil is killing other players.

I'll stick to New Vegas and 4 for now.
the first thing I heard out of the vault was a bunch of racial slurs.

But that's the authentic West Virginia experience!

Also, man, you guys have no idea how confusing it is to read this thread's title on three hours of sleep. I had a full three seconds where I wondered if I should be dead or not.
11/14/2018 08:19 AMPosted by Topsail

I cannot, I've tried. It says I don't have permission. I even tried uninstalling it through Apps to no avail and the launcher just says that since I don't own it I can't modify it =(.

Going to try contacting them today to see if something can be done.
11/14/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Ursuola
I had a full three seconds where I wondered if I should be dead or not.

This is basically my waking state every morning, so I understand.
Wont be touching it until I see what modding is like in that game
11/14/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Ursuola
the first thing I heard out of the vault was a bunch of racial slurs.

But that's the authentic West Virginia experience!

Also, man, you guys have no idea how confusing it is to read this thread's title on three hours of sleep. I had a full three seconds where I wondered if I should be dead or not.

Sorry I figured the click bait would generate more discussion than if I named the thread "Fallout 76 Discussion"

The world we live in, man.
11/14/2018 08:39 AMPosted by Sunwhisper
I cannot, I've tried. It says I don't have permission. I even tried uninstalling it through Apps to no avail and the launcher just says that since I don't own it I can't modify it =(.

Going to try contacting them today to see if something can be done.
If at all possible, run your user on administrator mode and fine the location of the files, and just select and delete. If it doesn't allow you to remove them, then that's sketchy and your PC should catch it. This is a common tactic for malware; the whole "you don't have permission" crap.

If it keeps up and you still can't get it gone, contact Bethesda support and see if they can help.
I don't have the game, but I've watched the beta footage extensively among many of my YouTubers and I'm the owner of multiple copies of every Fallout game (save Brotherhood of Steel, of which I only own one copy).

I'm...hesitant...to purchase Fallout 76. Not only do I worry what the community will become *Gestures to games such as Rust and Ark*, but the beta footage I saw didn't fill me with an overwhelming sense of "I need to play this game!"

A few of my issues, with spoilers kept to a minimum:

- Armor and Weapons being locked behind Level requirements. SPECIAL requirements, Ammo scarcity...this is how Fallout did "requirements" to weapons and armor that could be found easily but could unbalance the game (Even Fallout 4 - which gave you a free suit of Power Armor and a MIni-gun, made sure to make Fusion Cores rare early on and the Mini-Gun and its ammo ridiculously heavy). Seeing someone stumble upon a suit of Power Armor practically right out of the Vault but having the pieces "locked" to Level 40+ put me right off. Another who completed a quest and got a pistol that was a required level of 25 to use...it bothers me. It bothers me a lot.

- Bethesda's obsession with their original creation super heroes. Canterbery Commons was one of my least favorite parts of Fallout 3 for how utterly out of sync it was tonally compared to the rest of the game. Fallout 4's Silver Shroud I felt was done better, since you generally had some options with how to do things and it was well written and non-invasive. You would never even know about it if you weren't tuned to a specific radio station. The fact 76 continues this legacy isn't surprising, but for how it continues the legacy is...wearying. This is less Silver Shroud and more Canterbery Commons level. Make a Superhero IP if you really want to keep doing these stories, Bethesda. Heck, I'd buy it. Just stop trying to shove it into this setting.

- Speaking of shoving things into this setting, can we talk about the fact this game has Super Mutants AND the Brotherhood of Steel in it? Why? I get brand recognition, but the Brotherhood's on shaky enough ground lore-wise as it is and the Super Mutants are a tired enemy type. Especially when they created some interesting unique factions of their own this game (The Responders are a neat, east coast twist on the Followers of the Apocalypse).

- Having said the above, I kind of understand the necessity of the Super Mutants since beyond them and the handful of "Cryptid" monsters, you're basically left with just Zombie enemies in the form of Feral Ghouls and Scorched. I started zoning out the streams of the beta since there wasn't much in the way of enemy variety or even tactics. I may complain that Fallout 4 was a theme park ride, but at least the Raiders were competent enough to seek cover in fire fights. The Scorched just stand there and wait for you to blast them.

I can't say I will never pick up Fallout 76, but at the moment there's just not a lot on offer that I can't get from the existing Fallout games. I mean, I can get black powder weapons for Fallout 4 via the Nexus. Can even import the Scorched and Scorched Beast into the world if I wanted.
11/14/2018 09:59 AMPosted by Vanndrel
(save Brotherhood of Steel, of which I only own one copy)

At least in the cold months you will have a bit of fuel for the fire.
I heard that "unable to uninstall" thing is a common issue with the game, it's a huge problem that has to be fixed.
I've got a good opinion of it after looking at it in other people's Streams. And, although it looks interesting in the few hours i've seen of it it feels that it relies on the same old formula that Bethesda has been perpetuating since Elder Scrolls : Oblivion, where the game saunters to a tedium after 10-20 hours of playing it.

Outside of it though, and looking at each part of the game more critically it just reveals that there's a host of things that are problematic with it and gives reasons why there's been a good portion of people launching scathing reviews of it from what they've seen (and now played). The most poignant of such is a similar criticism levied at Blizzard about WoW; both games run on a very antiquated engine that isn't up to par and should have been fixed and exchanged long ago - especially since Bethesda has the money for it. And WoW only keeps it's engine because it's always the same game, not given sequel after sequel similar to Skyrim, New Vegas, Fallout 4, etc.

Most assets seem re-used, and those that haven't look wonderfully superb. Though it feels less of a world and more of something that seems to be a bunch of theme-park studios that have been mashed together for it's audience, and that's okay. Though, one shouldn't expect anything more than that. I'm foretelling that most of 76 will be: Kill. Loot. Wander to different area. Repeat.

Mechanically on the other hand - excepting the engine because of it's own problems - things seem to have been done with a hasty hand and not a lot of thought placed into it other than the new monsters. Levelling can be awkward with how there's reports of people running up to mobs twice their level (10 vs 22) and three shotting them and there's virtually no difficulty at all. Some props you can just walk through as well. PvP has been glossed over and there's mechanics that actively discourage hostile interaction between players, even when there's a separate ability to peace out of it.

It just feels mashed together in all honesty. It feels like Bethesda is slacking on almost all things because the studio has developed an internal expectation that modders will both handle and add the problems and content. It's good if you're going to be kicking around with friends but almost any game is provided the camaraderie is good enough.
11/14/2018 10:01 AMPosted by Bruticus
11/14/2018 09:59 AMPosted by Vanndrel
(save Brotherhood of Steel, of which I only own one copy)

At least in the cold months you will have a bit of fuel for the fire.

Heh. Honestly I didn't find the game terrible. I mean, it IS a BAAAAAAAAD game but there was some fun bits buried under the bland, uninteresting top down shooting gallery and laughably in your face BAWLS product placement.

11/14/2018 10:03 AMPosted by Keurig
Levelling can be awkward with how there's reports of people running up to mobs twice their level (10 vs 22) and three shotting them and there's virtually no difficulty at all.

That was something I forgot to mention. It feels like 76 substitutes difficulty for tedium. Enemies are rarely a challenge and most of the game seems focused on gathering junk to repair equipment (Which I'm GLAD to see return, honestly). And coming from someone who has tried countless times to replay Fallout 4 after an initial run through I can say, that gathering of junk is a grind that wears out its welcome very quickly.

You either salvage all you can and spend hours building settlements you'll rarely come back to (Especially on Survival), or you ignore that aspect of the game entirely and then realize in a few hours how empty the game world truly is and how woefully unprepared you are for it because Bethesda designed the game with the full intention that you would do the salvaging and building, utterly undermining their own "Kidnapped Child" narrative.