They shouldn't have killed Varian off so soon

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
I like Anduin, but I would've preferred seeing Varian lead the charge this expansion. He's a warrior who has war experience and was a gladiator. I felt like he would achieved better results in BfA.

Plus there wasn't enough of seeing him switching from dual wielding to using a greatsword.
He had to die, the horde would go ballistic if he didn't. Be happy knowing that like Vol'jin, he also died to trash. I know I know, some people will say Guldan, but Varian was done. He was stabbed with TWO of those Fel swords, when one of them was enough to kill Vol'Jin.

Guldan however, used Fel finish Varian off, which means his soul was literally consumed by the Fel and destroyed, a fate far worse than Vol'jin. Vol'jin is becoming a higher being. Varian just gets oblivion as his final reward.
11/14/2018 08:35 AMPosted by Shadøw
I like Anduin, but I would've preferred seeing Varian lead the charge this expansion. He's a warrior who has war experience and was a gladiator. I felt like he would achieved better results in BfA.

Plus there wasn't enough of seeing him switching from dual wielding to using a greatsword.

That's the thing though. They HAD to kill him so that the story would play out the way they wanted where anduin is struggling and the roadkill queen has no truly formidable opponent.

It's also why they had to kill voljin to get him off the warchief seat because he wouldn't have pushed the horde so far over the edge and made it a soap opera (if there was a faction war at all considering the roadkill queen had no excuse to begin with).

Overall though I agree with you. This whole child-finding-his-way-filling-his-fathers-shoes vs. the soap opera horde story is wretched and just silly.
Oh please. He got an awesome last stand. Vol'jin died to a !@#$ing trash mob.
11/14/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Momimfotm

Oh please. Voljin isn't even gone so why does it matter how he died? He could be warchief forever now if they wanted to write him that way.

Varian died to trash as well, Gul'dan just artificially stepped in to quicken the job. Varian however, was already toast.
I don't have a problem with Anduin' story or the way they chose to put Varian to rest. And the cinematic where he appears to his son was cool, too.

It would be way worse if Varian died to one of Sylvanas's forces... and we never got to see Anduin's character develop.
Last stand due to bad writing. Unlike Varian, Vol'jin is still getting screen time beyond death. Varian got !@#$ on for his sacrifice. And he was weakened by trash btw so that point is invalid.
They should have kept Varian alive. Anduin could have actually been interesting if they had him acting and dressing like a priest. Instead they have him wearing plate, wielding his father sword, and acting exactly like a ret paladin while claiming he’s a priest.

In a way, I get it. The alliance fandom would cry at Anduin wearing a dress. But now Anduin’s basically like every other boring human paladin.
Varian had to go. He has always been a laughable character and impossible to take seriously. Hopefully they can create a better character out of his son instead of the cardboard character he was.
11/14/2018 08:47 AMPosted by Kirela

Oh please. Voljin isn't even gone so why does it matter how he died? He could be warchief forever now if they wanted to write him that way.

I like to think Vol'jin is just "mostly" dead.
11/14/2018 08:52 AMPosted by Xargaryen
Varian had to go. He has always been a laughable character and impossible to take seriously. Hopefully they can create a better character out of his son instead of the cardboard character he was.
Man people are already mocking Anduin lol. If anything, he succeeded his father as being a laughingstock.
I couldn't stand Varian he was like garrosh all rage no intelligence... so easily riled up. I also dont like anduin hes too passive and seemingly weak.

I always seem to gravitate towards leaders who are a good balance of strength and strategy
Varian's death was one of the most memorable, fist pounding wow moments in recent memory.

The biggest problem with most franchises is the creators just don't have the balls to kill off big names (Looking at you Sylvanas). Sometimes the best way to give a character meaningful closure is to kill em off.

Seriously, it's just eye rolling when we see dead Characters come back (Illidan) and other Characters who just won't die (Thrall).

Please, leave Varian to his glory.
11/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Shadøw
Man people are already mocking Anduin lol. If anything, he succeeded his father as being a laughingstock.

If anything the mocking has gone down since MoP. Anduin became more respected in BfA despite how terrible the rest of the story has gotten.
Varian was awesome. Sucked to lose him so soon after he finally returned, but at least he went out in a blaze of glory.

Anduin is meh. I don't really care where his story goes.

I always liked Varian, yeah he had a hot temper but who can blame him after what he'd gone through. He did better as time went on. The time when Saurfang Jr died in Ice Crown, and then actually working with Sylvanas in Legion. I know she didn't betray him even if the alliance side doesn't. I do think he had to at least be out of the picture. She wouldn't have done to him what she did to Anduin and Genn.

11/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Seger

I wish Varian was only mostly dead.
11/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Kibo
I couldn't stand Varian he was like garrosh all rage no intelligence... so easily riled up. I also dont like anduin hes too passive and seemingly weak.

I always seem to gravitate towards leaders who are a good balance of strength and strategy
Except when Legion came, Varian put aside his views of the Horde to work with them to put down a greater threat. It was because of his son he was able to do that. Idk about you, but I'd say he developed some at the beginning of Legion, it was just short-lived.
11/14/2018 08:54 AMPosted by Seger
11/14/2018 08:47 AMPosted by Kirela

Vol'Jin is now "something more". Probably getting god-tier stuff.

Varian got is soul sent to oblivion for his sacrifice. Yay!
If he was still here the alliance would have won this war already and I say that as a horde main