They shouldn't have killed Varian off so soon

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 5 Next
11/14/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Talestra
11/14/2018 08:44 AMPosted by Momimfotm
Oh please. He got an awesome last stand. Vol'jin died to a !@#$ing trash mob.

Varian died to trash as well, Gul'dan just artificially stepped in to quicken the job. Varian however, was already toast.

I have no love for alliance but lets be honest here, he died like a bad !@#.

He didnt just died to some trash. He jumped from an airship, one shoted a fel reaver allowing the remanents of his army to escape and was overwhelmed by demons.
Then he held his head high without doubt or fear as Gul'dan taunted him.

On the other hand Vol'jin got backstabed while he was trying to deal with the fact that the horde got overwhelmed by demons, falled flat on his face, broke one of his tusk and then slowly agonized till death.

Doesnt take much to see who got the better sent off (add to that the amazing scene with anduin). If Vol'jin wasnt returning (and we have yet to see his role) it would the worst send off a character since Cairne.
I saw this on the wow subreddit, but this is how Varian and Vol'jin should've gone out:

https://i.redd.it/245le5r2jlx11.png
Killing so many big names during Legion was supposed to make the war against the Legion more serious sadly it had the opposite effect and made the following expansion story a absolute mess.
No, its only fair that both sides have terrible leaders.
11/14/2018 09:06 AMPosted by Byniri
I saw this on the wow subreddit, but this is how Varian and Vol'jin should've gone out:

https://i.redd.it/245le5r2jlx11.png

But then we have a power vacuum in the horde. Lets not forget that Saurfang never wanted the position of warchief and Garrosh is still fresh on the mind of any non-orc horde, Baine is REALLY an untested leader, Lor'thermar and Sylvannas have little to no suport outside of their own race, Galliwyx is Galliwyx and the things with Thrall were weird on Legion since Metzen was leaving.
Horde succession would be a chaos with Vol'jin dying on the broken shore.
11/14/2018 09:05 AMPosted by Federok
11/14/2018 08:48 AMPosted by Talestra

Varian died to trash as well, Gul'dan just artificially stepped in to quicken the job. Varian however, was already toast.

He didnt just died to some trash. He jumped from an airship, one shoted a fel reaver allowing the remanents of his army to escape and was overwhelmed by demons.

On the other hand Vol'jin got backstabed while he was trying to deal with the fact that the horde got overwhelmed by demons, falled flat on his face, broke one of his tusk and then slowly agonized till death.

Doesnt take much to see who got the better sent off (add to that the amazing scene with anduin). If Vol'jin wasnt returning (and we have yet to see his role) it would the worst send off a character since Cairne.

But Vol'jin isn't dead. He is "something more". He's literally getting the god-tier treatment. Varian is GONE. Like, oblivion level gone, soul consumed by Fel. Did Varian get the "better send off"? Debatable when you consider the ramifications.
11/14/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Talestra

But Vol'jin isn't dead. He is "something more". He's literally getting the god-tier treatment. Varian is GONE. Like, oblivion level gone, soul consumed by Fel. Did Varian get the "better send off"? Debatable when you consider the ramifications.
Lol that's even more bad.
11/14/2018 08:38 AMPosted by Talestra
He had to die, the horde would go ballistic if he didn't.

We go through leaders like candy, it wouldn't be a surprise to lose another one. I didn't want Varian to die
11/14/2018 09:34 AMPosted by Shadøw
11/14/2018 09:31 AMPosted by Talestra

Lol that's even more bad.

What is "even more bad"?

That Varian and oblivion have become good friends like Horde players have asked of Alliance leaders?
That Vol'jin is becoming super powerful like Horde players have wanted?
11/14/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Talestra
11/14/2018 09:34 AMPosted by Shadøw
...Lol that's even more bad.

What is "even more bad"?

That Varian and oblivion have become good friends like Horde players have asked of Alliance leaders?
Both.

11/14/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Yzzami
11/14/2018 08:38 AMPosted by Talestra
He had to die, the horde would go ballistic if he didn't.

We go through leaders like candy, it wouldn't be a surprise to lose another one. I didn't want Varian to die

How about those Zandalar quests with Vol'Jin? As much as Horde loses its leaders, they also seem to, more often than not, make a surprise return.
Nazgrim came back, Garrosh sticked around into another expansion, Thrall stepped down as warchief and became main character, Vul'Jin is leading a quest line/story arc. I'm still surprised Cairne hasn't come back as a ghost yet.
11/14/2018 09:45 AMPosted by Rennekin

11/14/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Yzzami

How about those Zandalar quests with Vol'Jin? As much as Horde loses its leaders, they also seem to, more often than not, make a surprise return.
Nazgrim came back, Garrosh sticked around into another expansion, Thrall stepped down as warchief and became main character, Vul'Jin is leading a quest line/story arc. I'm still surprised Cairne hasn't come back as a ghost yet.
Stick around long enough, it might happen.
11/14/2018 09:39 AMPosted by Shadøw
11/14/2018 09:37 AMPosted by Talestra

What is "even more bad"?

Both.

...ok?
Varian was wrong when he believed the Horde still had honor. He would be rolling in his grave if he saw how the Alliance were betrayed after Legion.

The Horde broke the peace with the Alliance for the second time. We should have absolutely pushed on after the Seige of Orgrimmar and made the Horde suffer a complete defeat.

This current war MUST end with an unconditional surrender being accepted or else the Alliance is pants on head retarded.
11/14/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Talestra
<span class="truncated">...</span>Both.

...ok?
Not sure what you are confused about. But perhaps I read your tcomment wrong so let explain myself.

Vol'jin died and took a vacation during Legion. Now he's gonna come back and ascend godhood in addition to having more to do with the story. Varian kicks the bucket and that's it, yeah there might be some mention of him but that's all he's gonna get. So that's why I find this whole writing to be bad.
Killing off Varian wasn't the mistake they made. The mistake they made was elevating Howdy Doody to the Alliance Throne. A 17 year old peacenik dill-wad is going to command the respect of an ancient race of elves, (whose leaders are thousands of years old, lol) ?? A race of hardened warriors who carve their cities out of mountains?? Another race of Elves who have been to the Void and back?? The Gnomes?? The Draenei, who have the ability to travel in space?? The Worgen, who can transform and well.... they can transform...

Never would have happened. Somebody would have seen to it that he had a tragic Gryphon riding accident before they placed the fate of the entire Alliance in his hands. The absolute worst character in the history of this game and the lore in general. (Nathanos may be a contender but he's not in control of one of the only 2 factions we get to choose from)
Varian was wrong when he believed the Horde still had honor. He would be rolling in his grave if he saw how the Alliance were betrayed after Legion.

The Horde broke the peace with the Alliance for the second time. We should have absolutely pushed on after the Seige of Orgrimmar and made the Horde suffer a complete defeat.

This current war MUST end with an unconditional surrender being accepted or else the Alliance is pants on head retarded.

Not to repeat my above response but the Alliance did put King Bieber in charge, so... it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that they aren't very bright.
11/14/2018 10:37 AMPosted by Båkkag
Killing off Varian wasn't the mistake they made. The mistake they made was elevating Howdy Doody to the Alliance Throne. A 17 year old peacenik dill-wad is going to command the respect of an ancient race of elves, (whose leaders are thousands of years old, lol) ?? A race of hardened warriors who carve their cities out of mountains?? Another race of Elves who have been to the Void and back?? The Gnomes?? The Draenei, who have the ability to travel in space?? The Worgen, who can transform and well.... they can transform...

Never would have happened. Somebody would have seen to it that he had a tragic Gryphon riding accident before they placed the fate of the entire Alliance in his hands. The absolute worst character in the history of this game and the lore in general. (Nathanos may be a contender but he's not in control of one of the only 2 factions we get to choose from)

The issue is not that they raised Anduin to this level. The issue is that all of these extremely realistic complaints were not seen in the story. It's more clear proof that the writers just do not give Alliance the thought of mind. The legion storyline for Horde became 'can we trust our new warchief, can Sylvanas put herself aside?' There was completely room for Anduin--despite by heir being high king of the Alliance--to not have the full support of the other leaders. To see the other leaders casually subverting him and taking over.

Thankfully, they finally are in 8.1 we see this with Tyrande and Genn in a sense abandoning Anduin--which is the story we should've had a long time ago. I'm really glad they're finally writing the storyline that should've happened a long time ago.
11/14/2018 10:44 AMPosted by Båkkag

Not to repeat my above response but the Alliance did put King Bieber in charge, so... it's pretty much a forgone conclusion that they aren't very bright.

Well, technically he inherited the throne for the humans and somehow that automatically made him the alliance leader as a whole... which yeah it does make very little sense.

The odd thing is that from the game I'm not really seeing a whole lot of unity or alliance type behavior from a war perspective since the undercity scuffle. Night Elves were on their own with teldrassil, people keep mentioning that stormwind has no aid to offer them when we get to darkshore...

There are the campaign quests with the little gnomes helping blow up the horde I guess.

It's all pretty willy nilly and it doesn't really seem like we are at war, other than the humans from SW going off and apparently getting butchered (I can't be sure though since I couldn't see which races were wrapped up on the docks in SW during the cinematic).

Maybe it's all going over my head, maybe I'm not paying enough attention. I dunno.

...ok?
Not sure what you are confused about. But perhaps I read your tcomment wrong so let explain myself.

Vol'jin died and took a vacation during Legion. Now he's gonna come back and ascend godhood in addition to having more to do with the story. Varian kicks the bucket and that's it, yeah there might be some mention of him but that's all he's gonna get. So that's why I find this whole writing to be bad.

I'm confused as to why you think it's bad. I mean, this is exactly what a LOT of Horde players wanted. You are posting on a Horde toon. If you feel it is bad, explain why. Just repeating with slightly different words what I say, then declaring it bad doesn't explain your position at all.