Worst Healing Experience Ever

Druid
So I've played this game for prob 12+ years (pathetic I know). 12+ years ago I was a 2100 rated player (back when 2300 was glad, 2400 was r1). Several time duel, many time rival, and now ... I'm a challenger scrub because I simply don't have the time to play the game much any more. Doesn't mean I'm terrible at the game, just don't have the time to invest in finding quality teammates (and prob not as good as I used to be).

At any rate, I played some games tonight on this resto druid and it was literally the worst experience I've had playing a healer in 12+ years. I was queing with randoms in LFG (not that it mattered), but I could have someone fully hotted, while spaming regrowth on them and they STILL die... all while I'm not being cc'd. What the hell is this damage? I literally can't keep anyone alive in 3s... hots don't heal anything, and regrowth isn't enough to keep anyone alive. I even played tree, STILL couldn't keep up with the damage. It is absolutely absurd the damage to heals ratio.

Is this is gear issue, quite possibly. Is it a skill issue? Maybe, but will skill allow you to spam regrowth (after fully hotting someone) faster than myself? I doubt it.

I think I went MAYBE 2-20 in arena??? MAYBE won 2??? In 12+ years I've NEVER had an issue healing in arena, even as an undergeared toon... like never.. this was absolutely abysmal.

Does resto get any better with gear? Because this was hands down the worst experience healing I've ever seen.

I'm sure I'll get the obligatory... you're bad, teammates didn't peel, teammates sucked... etc etc etc. The usual.. but flat out, hands down... this druid couldn't heal through 2 dps damage just standing there spam healing. They wouldn't even attempt to cc me most games. Didn't have to... heals couldn't even come close to keeping up with the incoming damage.

Blizzard, you expect to get people to want to try arena with this??? I've been outgeared by miles in prior expansions and never seen anything like this.
I healed a M6 Kings Rest a few days ago with a warrior tank and it was an absolute nightmare.

He was decently geared, id say 350-360 ish, and he would drop like a sack of bricks every pull.

We were using all the cc we had, he was tanking one mob at a time, and I was doing 19k hps. he would still drop.

It was so frustrating.

Game is not what it used to be.
It does get better with gear. The difference of healing just from 340 to 350 was a nice boost on my druid. Swapping to Cenarion ward helped me a bit too.
No healer should be able to keep anyone alive for a long period of time if they are been trained
In before someone says you're throwing a 'hissefit'.
10/07/2018 10:31 PMPosted by Darkombra
No healer should be able to keep anyone alive for a long period of time if they are been trained

Then what's the point? Why bother CC'ing the enemy healer if you can just brute force through their heals? Why bother forcing CD's out of them or burning their mana? Why run a healer at all since they don't usually offer much in the way of DPS and their healing is ultimately inconsequential?

I'm not saying that I've experienced what OP has, but you're basically arguing that healers ought to be useless.
Cyclone the DPS. Tree feels like it's pretty bad, I noticed a significant improvement in my ability to bring my teammates up after picking Soul of the Forest.

The 10% healing nerf to rdruid in pvp does feel a bit huge though, right now unless you're playing with a coordinated team, any random DPS can just brute force through your heals with a pve rotation. You need to rely a lot more on CCing them.
I have played a druid and priest this season in arena.
I have played with randoms, and coordinated with friends on voice.

The biggest difference is when you get on mics, you can communicate to your team when to use their cooldowns. I play with a rogue friend, and just tell him when to cloak/vanish evasion ect.

The game today is all about trading cooldowns. If the enemy ret paly pops wings, you should either CC him, or pop a defensive cooldown, or kite rather then trying to just spam regrowth through their damage.

The add on gladiator LOSA is great. Just some english female voice calling out enemy cooldowns/CC - so you will heal polymorph in your ear and know when to shapeshift, or hear when a ret paly pops wings so you know when you should probably use ironskin or whatever it is called.
10/08/2018 08:56 AMPosted by Heavyg

The biggest difference is when you get on mics, you can communicate to your team when to use their cooldowns. I play with a rogue friend, and just tell him when to cloak/vanish evasion ect.

The game today is all about trading cooldowns. If the enemy ret paly pops wings, you should either CC him, or pop a defensive cooldown, or kite rather then trying to just spam regrowth through their damage.

The add on gladiator LOSA is great. Just some english female voice calling out enemy cooldowns/CC - so you will heal polymorph in your ear and know when to shapeshift, or hear when a ret paly pops wings so you know when you should probably use ironskin or whatever it is called.

None of this really matters when raw damage output is greater than raw healing output. If you can't spam heal to keep someone alive for more than 10 seconds, you certainly can't stop healing to cyclone someone.

Further, if you get yourself in range to cycle... you are immediately swapped to and die instantly in a stun. If you trinket, you die seconds later because heals simply can't keep up with the damage.

I'm speaking specifically at 325 ilvl. Maybe at 350 healing can keep up, but at 325 it simply can't.

This has NEVER been the case in any prior expansion. I could take any fresh healer and easily climb to min 1800, and that's with very minimal effort. This expansion you can't even pass 1400 at 325 ilvl as a resto druid (dunno if other healers have this abysmal healing throughput).

Game is a sick joke as a healer
10/07/2018 10:31 PMPosted by Darkombra

Ha, that's not my BG experience. Which is that it takes at least 3 dps to overwhelm a healer.

About 50% of RBG games is endlessly chasing healers that never die, and the remainder is split evenly between killing healers slower than they rez and one side getting stomped.
10/08/2018 09:04 AMPosted by Hissefit
10/08/2018 08:56 AMPosted by Heavyg

None of this really matters when raw damage output is greater than raw healing output. If you can't spam heal to keep someone alive for more than 10 seconds, you certainly can't stop healing to cyclone someone.

Further, if you get yourself in range to cycle... you are immediately swapped to and die instantly in a stun. If you trinket, you die seconds later because heals simply can't keep up with the damage.

I'm speaking specifically at 325 ilvl. Maybe at 350 healing can keep up, but at 325 it simply can't.

This has NEVER been the case in any prior expansion. I could take any fresh healer and easily climb to min 1800, and that's with very minimal effort. This expansion you can't even pass 1400 at 325 ilvl as a resto druid (dunno if other healers have this abysmal healing throughput).

Game is a sick joke as a healer

Gear actually doesnt mean as much as it used to in pvp. Theres some scaling going on that they dont come out and tell you about it.

That being said....what others have brought up is 100% true. You need to coordinate cds AND cc enemy dps. You wont survive without it
Tree + noursih pvp target as well as revitalize will give you 30s where no one should die. It's incredibly powerful.

Healing arena is a little tougher since the healing nerf but it's not as bad as you're making it out to be.
your talents aren't right ; try running 2/1/3/1/1/2/2 and then Revitalize/Focused Growth/Cyclone. You need to cc enemies that are training and have avatar/wings/avatar/etc up

gear will help tremendously

mighty bash will serve you a lot better than mass entangle is right now to help set up kills / ease dps on your team. revitalize is literally op.
I did some 2s earlier with a warrior and experienced the same thing, even at low !@# ratings. One match we faced Disc/Outlaw and I got out about 20 cyclones, LoS'd every ranged kidney shot, avoided about 3 fears, finally got hit with one fear for 5 seconds and the warrior died. Feels like my HoTs are piddly af, if my team mate gets to 50% hp even with 2 rejuvs, a regrowth, and 3 lifeblooms on him I have to pop a cooldown. Also seems like anytime I leave a pillar long enough to try and get a cyclone I'm stunned, stunned, feared, stunned again and in worse shape than before :/
It's true... Hots do little to nothing to keep people up. Ive been playing around 2100 cr and it's awful. Worst healer at the moment I think. I'm 368 ilvl too. Take care all
I'm pretty much on the same boat as you. I've also played for about 12 years and would typically hover between 2000-2200ish every season. I haven't done any pvp or arenas since early legion. I recently started doing 2's again and healing is quite difficult. I know 2's isn't a good metric for determining balance or class performance. However, I never really had issues prior to BFA. I can barely keep my partner alive against hunters or mages.
In my situation, I think my love for pvp tapered off after so many years of playing. I know I'm bad and I've been lacking consistent partners or consistent time dedicated to pvp. I would highly suggest a rogue partner since they're so strong right now. The control they provide combined with clones and stuns really helps ease the healing. I got to about 1500 in an hour with a fresh 120 rogue (285ilvl~) and I was about 325 ilvl myself at the time.
I don't know what to tell ya, resto druids in the tourney were doing well.
10/07/2018 09:07 PMPosted by Hissefit
So I've played this game for prob 12+ years (pathetic I know). 12+ years ago I was a 2100 rated player (back when 2300 was glad, 2400 was r1). Several time duel, many time rival, and now ... I'm a challenger scrub because I simply don't have the time to play the game much any more. Doesn't mean I'm terrible at the game, just don't have the time to invest in finding quality teammates (and prob not as good as I used to be).

At any rate, I played some games tonight on this resto druid and it was literally the worst experience I've had playing a healer in 12+ years. I was queing with randoms in LFG (not that it mattered), but I could have someone fully hotted, while spaming regrowth on them and they STILL die... all while I'm not being cc'd. What the hell is this damage? I literally can't keep anyone alive in 3s... hots don't heal anything, and regrowth isn't enough to keep anyone alive. I even played tree, STILL couldn't keep up with the damage. It is absolutely absurd the damage to heals ratio.

Is this is gear issue, quite possibly. Is it a skill issue? Maybe, but will skill allow you to spam regrowth (after fully hotting someone) faster than myself? I doubt it.

I think I went MAYBE 2-20 in arena??? MAYBE won 2??? In 12+ years I've NEVER had an issue healing in arena, even as an undergeared toon... like never.. this was absolutely abysmal.

Does resto get any better with gear? Because this was hands down the worst experience healing I've ever seen.

I'm sure I'll get the obligatory... you're bad, teammates didn't peel, teammates sucked... etc etc etc. The usual.. but flat out, hands down... this druid couldn't heal through 2 dps damage just standing there spam healing. They wouldn't even attempt to cc me most games. Didn't have to... heals couldn't even come close to keeping up with the incoming damage.

Blizzard, you expect to get people to want to try arena with this??? I've been outgeared by miles in prior expansions and never seen anything like this.

I had same issue. Two things changed my experience. Get Nourish talent to get lots of free hots and regrowth crits. Secondly stack haste.
Maybe its quality of play as resto druids in the arena tournament are basically amazing. Maybe watch a couple matches to see where you are going wrong.