State of Shadow 8.1 v2.0

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
First post reached the 500 post limit before any kind of response so creating a new post for additional responses and to keep shadow priests' psychic voice alive. All credit goes to Publik/Isentropy qnd the warcraftpriests team.

Hello!

With 8.1 having gone live, we of Warcraftpriests decided it would be a good idea to write a document that summarizes Shadow’s biggest problems right now and to create a forum thread for discussion to go with it. If you wish to contribute to the discussion, please do so in a constructive way. Thanks in advance for reading!

https://gdoc.pub/doc/e/2PACX-1vQBysx2OmRLU5AicbBZND5C6JCXwoC-ii-Z7Rf181-aMGty00p-pMWR2d4GQ2uAOvZVFfg1bI1WAzVF

EU forum link: https://eu.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/17623903837#1

Summary of what’s discussed in more detail in the doc:
Shadow doesn’t have enough strengths to make up for the weaknesses it has. Execute and multidotting aren’t nearly as strong for us anymore, and our weaknesses from previous expansions (such as single-target or AoE) haven’t been improved enough to compensate.
Shadow Word: Death becoming a talent was a mistake.
Too much of our AoE comes from our talents, and they do not synergize with our kit well at all.
Baseline AoE is weak, boring, and unintuitive. Mind Sear keeps you in Voidform longer which goes against the goal of getting out more Void Eruptions; the problem is that Void Eruption is tied to entering Voidform.
Shadow’s mobility is quite bad right now, with our only mobility options coming from our talents. We don’t really have anything meaningful to offset our weak mobility, either.
Shadow’s survivability is not in a good spot right now. Losing our artifact made Dispersion too weak considering the downsides it has.
Shadow Word: Void fixes Mind Blast and Void Bolt coming off cooldown at the same time, but we have to invest a talent point to fix it when Fury and Beast Mastery have had this fixed baseline.
Void Torrent made sense in Legion, but is in a bad state right now. It needs to be designed with Battle for Azeroth Shadow in mind.
I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see shadow orbs come back. Voidform is a terribly designed mechanic that literally works against its own toolkit.

I don't mind being low mobility but I want defensive utility as compensation.

Tldr: copy/paste MoP spriest design pls.
Round two here we go
I’d be ok with Cataclysm style shadow orbs. They merely buffed our abilities, rather than demanding we have shadow orbs like combo points.
Plz speak with us Blizzard. PLZ !!!!

- Bump -
Let's play How Many Threads Can We Max Before Blizz Remembers We're A Spec
To make it nice and simple, the link to the first thread:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769169845?page=1

Yvaelle of MMO-Champion's priest forums also has a topic with detailed mathematical analysis on how to get rid of voidform which is the direct cause of the horribly awkward and unfun playstyle problems:

https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769456829
Hope Spriest does get a rework. Don't think it will happen though. It'll probably end up like frost dk in legion. Just dps bandaids applied a couple times. Never actually fixing the problem. Blizzard has gotten lazy. Its what happens when you have no competition.
I'm pretty sure that the silence thus far means there aren't going to be significant changes any time soon. It seems likely the silence is deliberate to try and keep the sub numbers up.
10/08/2018 06:17 AMPosted by Signey
I know it won't happen, but I'd love to see shadow orbs come back. Voidform is a terribly designed mechanic that literally works against its own toolkit.

I don't mind being low mobility but I want defensive utility as compensation.

Tldr: copy/paste MoP spriest design pls.

Nah, I'm a bit tired of every class having some variation of combo points, which is essential what they are.

Say what you want about the insanity mechanic, but at least it's unique. I want them to keep spriests unique, but fix the underlying issues.
we cant give up!
Would love to see a shadow priest rework in 8.1. Any news would be great.
10/08/2018 09:11 AMPosted by Shambälah
we cant give up!

Oh yea. I don't plan of giving up until we get some communication.
I don't think shadow is going to get much, if any change in 8.1 . Its getting pretty late into the PTR cycle, we have a couple more weeks until things are close to set.

Its sad cause I liked this class a lot, and its has had my favorite aesthetics since TBC. But it just plays so awfully, and its just not fun or rewarding to play anymore.

Shadow offers nothing valuable in M+. While Vampiric Embrace looks decent, its not reliable by any means, and I'd far prefer a wild growth or regrowth+Swiftmend of Balance druid to it if things get too rough. Yes, there's some mind control tricks to avoid bolstering on certain mobs, but its just not enough. Mass Dispel isn't too useful in a world filled with blood elves. The stam buff is nice, but its not going to impact your timers much.

Shadow has great lockdown for PvP, so giving shadow additional CC would cause problems there, so I'm not really sure what route they should take..
Here is the true test of if they care or not. Usually when a classes feedback post reaches cap, Lore or another blue will open up the cap, lock the 2nd thread, and allow continued feedback on the 1st. If that doesnt happen, we will know once and for all that Blizzard doesnt give a !@#$ about the spec.
Next dev talk is oct 11th, maybe that will shed some light on the future plans.
Looks like they extended boys. This one is no longer needed, thank you all.
Change void form into a major cd.
Combine void bolt and void eruption for insanity spender. (Basically just void eruption)
During void form, void bolt/eruption generates insanity instead of spending it.
Oh and make our dots actually do damage.

This would make the base gameplay better while keeping Voidform as a major cd since blizz doesn’t seem to want to get rid of it.

Also it would make shadow feel more like a continuous stream of damage with dots/eruptions/flays constantly going off. Then ramping up to burst levels during void form.
10/08/2018 11:01 AMPosted by Aimou
Still capped: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769169845?page=51

I'd suggest reporting the final post (under other) while asking of an extension in the description.
11/06/2018 09:56 PMPosted by Rockford
10/08/2018 11:01 AMPosted by Aimou
Still capped: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769169845?page=51

I'd suggest reporting the final post (under other) while asking of an extension in the description.

Lol look at the date of my post my man. Someone rezzed this one from the first time it got locked due to post count.