Blizzard mods: Stop the phishing!

General Discussion
1 2 3 5 Next
Ban the phishers attempting to use these forums to glean personal info from players.

Two of them have already popped up and there may be more I'm not aware of. Where are the moderators?
Maybe the rumors are true...Blizzard has lost so much money from Battle for Azeroth that they can't afford a proper forum moderation team.

Just saw a third spamming/phishing thread...this is getting a bit ridiculous.
what phishing thread? Do you even know what phishing is?
Moderation has been incredibly inconsistent as of late.

I get that they are trying to increase it, but .. yeah, it almost seems RNG based.
10/09/2018 10:19 AMPosted by Säyä
what phishing thread? Do you even know what phishing is?
Your new character name = your birthday month and day.
Please show me examples of phishing on this forum.
Ya i like how they make it a fun way to get your birthdate and stuff like that.

Really interesting and people fall for it, but i'm guessing over half lie about it anyways.
Gorev, you seem like a paranoid old man who still calls his grandson for help printing a document.

It’s a birthday. Calm down.
10/09/2018 10:43 AMPosted by Mistblossom
Gorev, you seem like a paranoid old man who still calls his grandson for help printing a document.

He's not wrong. PII shouldn't be shared on a public forum. It's laughable when people do it on Facebook and then wonder, after sharing all that info, how someone from another country stole their account.

Those types of posts really aren't smart to reply to or otherwise partake in.
10/09/2018 10:54 AMPosted by Galkresh
10/09/2018 10:43 AMPosted by Mistblossom

He's not wrong. PII shouldn't be shared on a public forum. It's laughable when people do it on Facebook and then wonder, after sharing all that info, how someone from another country stole their account.

Those types of posts really aren't smart to reply to or otherwise partake in.

If posting your birthday online makes you this afraid, I can’t imagine how you are in real life. Every Uber you get in, every online purchase, every credit card you swipe, has a risk to it.

But hey, to each their own. I won’t judge anyone for being overprotective of themselves.
My B-day is on about 10 other forums, minus the year. The question doesn't even ask the year, then I would be a bit weary. A lot of people are born on the same day.

If they were playing the first three letters of your dads name and last three of your moms is your new character... then we are getting into phishing.
the birthday thing is not phishing, phishing is when a program maliciously takes or extracts data from your computer.

Considering everyone voluntarily participates in that thread it's not really phishing.
Yeah what could a scammer do with just someone's birthday? No year, no name, or email/account name. Pretty harmless to post your birthday.
10/09/2018 10:26 AMPosted by Onaxisthrom
Ya i like how they make it a fun way to get your birthdate and stuff like that.

Really interesting and people fall for it, but i'm guessing over half lie about it anyways.

That’s odd... I don’t recall him asking for the year I was born because without that September 8th is just another day.
so if i post the year and day i was born they will steal all my info? honestly if they could figure all that stuff out from just that they deserve the info
Some of y’all should read this:

https://www.whitehatsec.com/blog/danger-memes-in-social-media/
10/09/2018 11:05 AMPosted by Narakulock
the birthday thing is not phishing, phishing is when a program maliciously takes or extracts data from your computer.

Considering everyone voluntarily participates in that thread it's not really phishing.

Nah. Phishing is when someone, by way of social engineering, tricks you into giving them information or access to your systems that they can then use to hack or steal further information. The most common example of this is you get an email saying you've won something, click this link to confirm! Or this is your bank, there has been a breach of your checking account, click here to log in and confirm your recent activity. Clicking the link installs malware that records your keystrokes and gives away your passwords.

Named after fishing, because they lure you in with dangled bait that you have to take. Only with a 'ph' for some reason.

Are you stupid? That's exactly what phishing is. You use an unrelated topic to get someone to voluntarily give up info that would otherwise seem shady to just ask for.

The question or topic is the bait, giving them the info is catching the phish....

If they didn't give up the info voluntarily we would just call it stealing.

Yes it is.

Phishing is trying to get private information through trickery.

That's EXACTLY what asking for birthdays is. It's a known technique.

That's not phishing at all. Phishing is when someone is literally trying to fish for personal data on someone via impersonation or other nefarious means, typically through e-mail or other such modes of communication. Data extraction via a program is a reference to malware, which is something different all together.

10/09/2018 11:00 AMPosted by Mistblossom

If posting your birthday online makes you this afraid, I can’t imagine how you are in real life. Every Uber you get in, every online purchase, every credit card you swipe, has a risk to it.

But hey, to each their own. I won’t judge anyone for being overprotective of themselves.

It's not about fear, friend. It's about being smart with data that can be utilized to personally identify you in a way that could be used to defraud you. So many companies or services use your birthday, for example, as a means to verify your identity. Why give out that information freely?