Population has dropped again

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
10/12/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Iskandi
How are you getting this data? My server is up in population.

How do you know this, source?
Hey everybody! Look over here. A data set from one server group by one guy. The sky is falling!
10/12/2018 12:47 PMPosted by Snowfox
Claims based on anecdotal data only deserves anecdotal responses.

From my perspective, more players are active than ever - and my friendlists is growing.

I wish that were the same for me. Now all the people I share a shard with aren't even on a connected realm so it doesn't really help my friends list much and doesn't help me find a new guild etc. Unless I wanted to pay for a server transfer to the servers I play with the most.
People do play more than one game at a time. COD 4 just released today,Red dead, BF5 , Spyro, among many others coming out in the next few months. not a surprise to see numbers drop and rise during these next couple months.
This happens every expansion, and pretty much with every raid tier.
People come in, do the levelling, see the story, do the raid, then leave til the next raid comes out, do that, leave til the next one, until the next expac comes out.
So what else is news?
Not everyone leaves after the release of an expansion. Some newcomers like myself who never tried WoW before will stick around and consume the content for the first time.

Considering there's 14 years of content, that's going to keep me around for a bit.
10/12/2018 01:30 PMPosted by Snowflake
10/12/2018 01:21 PMPosted by Raspir
So basically you're self limiting to fit your agenda

I guess you don't know how statistics work. I know there are people who play WoW who are far more into that than I am. Maybe one of them can chime in and explain it if they so desire.

You're self selecting one time frame to fit an agenda then claiming science and statistics when people don't agree with you.
You're add-on isn't showing why people aren't playing, you're assuming they all quit because it fits what you want to believe
10/12/2018 02:22 PMPosted by Raspir
You're add-on isn't showing why people aren't playing, you're assuming they all quit because it fits what you want to believe

I haven't once speculated in this thread why people are quitting. Others have proposed theories, but I have not.

I have stated it twice in this thread, but I'll say it again for you and those just joining:

I am not saying why the population is lower. Only that it is lower.
Ah, Moonguard. Now people get to bring out all their misconceptions about Moonguard.

My personal observations agree with the OP. In the past few weeks, the world has gone completely dead on Moonguard.

I admit I don't have BfA, so my characters are 110 or less. But prior to that there were lots of players 110-120 farming Legion content. Now I see no one.

I thought maybe it was just a Horde thing, since there's hardly any Horde on Moonguard. And maybe Alliance was all doing warmode. But I logged into my 70 Alliance character to do some questing. And it's just as dead for her.

It's almost as though this server has passed some unrecoverable critical threshold and population is imploding.

Because this is definitely not something I am seeing on the other servers I play on.
10/12/2018 02:38 PMPosted by Jelybeantoes
Ah, Moonguard. Now people get to bring out all their misconceptions about Moonguard.

My personal observations agree with the OP. In the past few weeks, the world has gone completely dead on Moonguard.

I admit I don't have BfA, so my characters are 110 or less. But prior to that there were lots of players 110-120 farming Legion content. Now I see no one.

I thought maybe it was just a Horde thing, since there's hardly any Horde on Moonguard. And maybe Alliance was all doing warmode. But I logged into my 70 Alliance character to do some questing. And it's just as dead for her.

It's almost as though this server has passed some unrecoverable critical threshold and population is imploding.

Because this is definitely not something I am seeing on the other servers I play on.
I can only speak for myself, but I've been logging in significantly less lately. There just aren't enough new features to get me excited, on top of my friends playing less, which makes me less motivated than I would be otherwise.
I always wonder how much they'll fall back to their MoP excuse of "cyclical players."

As if they're completely incapable of making the game better and it's out of their hands, it's just cyclical players.
Back when I was logging in, I definitely saw fewer and fewer players on my server. You can't call them anecdotes if everyone has the same experience.
While this is only anecdotal data...

All we really need to see tbh
10/12/2018 03:00 PMPosted by Presumption
Back when I was logging in, I definitely saw fewer and fewer players on my server. You can't call them anecdotes if everyone has the same experience.

This post will trigger many statisticians.
10/12/2018 11:37 AMPosted by Snowflake
While this is only anecdotal data, I do run my Census+ addon every single day at the same time every day.

So a snapshot of my single server has shown that the population has dropped again from September to October.

Not a large drop, but it is trending downward.

We are nowhere near the numbers of end-of-Legion. But the trend is alarming.

We have lost more than half the population since BfA dropped.

The big test will be today (Friday) and tomorrow (Saturday). Those are prime-time populations. Tuesdays as well. This last Tuesday was fairly stable from what I saw.

Again, this is just from my little world. ymmv

It would be nice if more people tried to track the population, your anecdote might only be what you see on your one server and at only the times you run the scan, but its more data than most people who argue one way or the other arm themselves with when they make their argument.

I also think the population is dropping based on our guild sudden trouble at finding raiders for mythic progression, and we are on a server with a massive horde population and a high amount of raiders.

I can understand, I really only log in to raid, if I didn't want to do mythic I would just spend one night a week clearing heroic, then run one key for my cache, then farm just enough gold for repairs and consumables.

The endgame is running the same dungeons over and over again for an entire xpac outside of raiding, and 5 mans just arent as fun as raids for me.
10/12/2018 11:44 AMPosted by Snowflake
10/12/2018 11:38 AMPosted by Keizel
We are 2 months into a new expansion. That's usually how this works, dear.

I wasn't commenting on why it dropped. Only that it has.

A Blue just recently recently said that they are not "hemorrhaging" subscribers. So there is their position. https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769766860?page=18#post-349

Well for the first time ever I have active sub time I have no intention of using. So they may have sub numbers that don't alarm them but I wonder how many people are just saying screw it and not playing?

The numbers aren't going to get better unless they start making real changes. I see too many people upset over things the devs seem to think are just fine or just need some tweaking.

#PathfinderSucks
10/12/2018 03:04 PMPosted by Fradagar
10/12/2018 03:00 PMPosted by Presumption

This post will trigger many statisticians.

Indeed, they would point out that the plural of 'anecdote' is not 'data'.

But still, even though it is not possible to quantify, it is clear that one heck of a lot of people are feeling what can best be described as 'ennui'.

10/12/2018 03:00 PMPosted by Astodam
I always wonder how much they'll fall back to their MoP excuse of "cyclical players."

As if they're completely incapable of making the game better and it's out of their hands, it's just cyclical players.

After blaming player losses on "cyclical players", they have gone out of their way to create play situations that create more cyclical players, turning people who would never have dreamed of unsubbing into players who will only play half the expansion because of pathfinder, a "feature" that has been a huge net loss for the game.

How many people have quit or temporarily unsubbed over pathfinder? A lot.

How many have joined? Absolutely none.
maple story 2 is stealing population from wow right now, that's how bad BFA is