I want the faction war to last all BFA

Story Forum
1 2 3 6 Next
That's really all I want. I want this faction hatred to be the selling point of what I saw at blizzcon last year. For it to be a giant slow burn, sprinkled with old god stuff all around. I want alliance to do something horrific where there is no repair from both sides to have talks of neutrality or peace. This is WARCRAFT ffs. I hope at the end of all this the horde finally wins the war but with a price. It's a victory of pride and proof that they can go toe to toe with merica faction and then we both lose to N'zoth and friends for fighting each other. The end.
I sure as hell don't. From a story standpoint the faction war has been a complete dumpster fire of character assassination and contradictions everywhere.

WARcraft can be WARcraft without the tired faction war. Story is usually way better when we are fighting big bads anyway.
10/14/2018 05:31 PMPosted by Ayaani
I sure as hell don't. From a story standpoint the faction war has been a complete dumpster fire of character assassination and contradictions everywhere.

WARcraft can be WARcraft without the tired faction war. Story is usually way better when we are fighting big bads anyway.

No. Go read the novels. you're welcome.
Story is usually way better when we are fighting big bads anyway.
if by better, you mean it makes the big bads look completely pathetic when they are suppose to be a legitimate threat, then i agree
10/14/2018 05:36 PMPosted by Withpuppys
if by better, you mean it makes the big bads look completely pathetic when they are suppose to be a legitimate threat, then i agree

Better than what we have in BFA right now with Blizzard forgetting about their own lore and characters acting wildly out of character for the sake of the faction war. Let's not forget intentional omissions like the Vindicaar.

True but they could write them more threatening. The only reason the other faction in a faction war isnt the same way is because there are players giving the factions some plot armor.

Honest big bads are better to work with because you don't have to screw one side or the other over to get a satisfying outcome. In this faction war, just ignoring what it has done to the factions themselves and how that has upset people, neither side can acheive a satisfying victory without it making the other side feel like they are getting screwed and used.
10/14/2018 05:39 PMPosted by Ayaani
...if by better, you mean it makes the big bads look completely pathetic when they are suppose to be a legitimate threat, then i agree

Better than what we have in BFA right now with Blizzard forgetting about their own lore and characters acting wildly out of character for the sake of the faction war. Let's not forget intentional omissions like the Vindicaar.

Tell me 1 character out of character. I'll wait.
Better than what we have in BFA right now
is it really? when the old gods or void lords become the next big bad im never gonna think "oh no! this super evil being with powers beyond our comprehension!" its instead going to be "so how long do you think it will take before we completely and flawlessly destroy them." big bads never have any stake in them.
I want BFA to be 100% faction war, completely burn the theme into the ground, and then so thoroughly deconstruct and undermine that war that we never have to come back to it again.
...if by better, you mean it makes the big bads look completely pathetic when they are suppose to be a legitimate threat, then i agree

to add to this, the faction war by necessity has to be zero sum, one has to gain at the expense of another. New lore developments come at the cost to some group within the player community. This can go screw itself as far as I am concerned.
10/14/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Withpuppys
Better than what we have in BFA right now
is it really? when the old gods or void lords become the next big bad im never gonna think "oh no! this super evil being with powers beyond our comprehension!" its instead going to be "so how long do you think it will take before we completely and flawlessly destroy them." big bads never have any stake in them.

I'm honestly in complete agreement with you in this. The faction war is the most interesting aspect of Warcraft, my issues with the zero sum escalation, not that it's happening.

In fact I *really* love all the pvp features and warfronts that have happened so far. Just not the actual story itself.
10/14/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Syriyna
True but they could write them more threatening.
how? legion was supposed to be the expansion where "kingdoms burn" but the legion never burns any of our kingdoms, the horde burned more of our stuff than the legion did. in cataclysm deathwing was literally trying to bring about the end of the world, but all he did was take a !@#$ on stormwind park, caused the zones to revamp and sometimes gave you an achievement. and then we teamed up with green jesus and blew him up
10/14/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Kalgromash

Lilian Voss, Garona, Rexxar just to name a few.
10/14/2018 05:46 PMPosted by Ayaani
10/14/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Kalgromash

Lilian Voss, Garona, Rexxar just to name a few.

wrong, wrong and extra wrong. good try comeback when you know the characters.
As absolute garbage as the faction war story is, the Old Gods story is actually even worse. I'm divided between wanting to hold that story off as long as possible, and wanting to get it over with ASAP to move on to something better.
10/14/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Reignac
As absolute garbage as the faction war story is, the Old Gods story is actually even worse. I'm divided between wanting to hold that story off as long as possible, and wanting to get it over with ASAP to move on to something better.

Pourquoi?
Wouldn't beating the old gods just lead us to fighting the Void Lords? Who are just the old gods BUT BIGGER?
10/14/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Feldaran
10/14/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Reignac

Pourquoi?

Whenever the Void/Old Gods are involved, it's just screaming tentacle monsters and DUDE CORRUPTION LMAO plots. There's no rhyme or reason, just characters becoming evil out of nowhere because they were slapped in the face a cackling tentacle kaiju--which we are constantly told are subtle schemers but are constantly shown the exact opposite as they send armies of hundreds of faceless ones to scream gibberish in our faces.

When someone becomes an Old God cultist because of said tentacle slapping them, they lose any and all previous personality just to ramble about "the master!!" and "the whispers!!" and become completely interchangeable with every other cultist. They have no motivations or reasons for what they do except "they were corrupted!!!!"

I hate the faction war as much as I think most people on this board do. I hate old gods/void even more than that.
10/14/2018 05:56 PMPosted by Darethy
Wouldn't beating the old gods just lead us to fighting the Void Lords? Who are just the old gods BUT BIGGER?

That's another problem. We're supposed to care about these things that are literally the exact same thing but bigger, and with even less personality than the old gods because they don't even have individual names. Furthermore Blizzard expects us to care about them when no race or character has any sort of personal history with them at all.
10/14/2018 05:56 PMPosted by Darethy
and who are we to fight after the void lords. void gods?
I'm honestly in complete agreement with you in this. The faction war is the most interesting aspect of Warcraft, my issues with the zero sum escalation, not that it's happening.

In fact I *really* love all the pvp features and warfronts that have happened so far. Just not the actual story itself.

While I agree that the faction war has a much more interesting dynamic to it than more traditional story mechanics, it's not worth the amount of venom it cultivates in the players.

I mean, I think the story to BfA is by and large entertaining and enjoyable, and I'm exhausted because of the culture around it.