Marksmanship PTR Changes

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
1 2 3 19 Next
The Public Test Realms (PTR) are seeing several changes for Marksmanship Hunters. Here’s some context on those changes.

One goal of ours for Marksmanship is proficiency in keeping targets at range in PvE and PvP situations. Marksmanship plays best when you have distance from your target, so we’re emphasizing some of the tools that help you either move a target away from you, or keep your distance.
    - Bursting Shot has had its knockback range increased, can no longer be dodged, and snares targets for 6 seconds now.

- Steady Shot will now increase the duration of Concussive Shot on the target by 3 seconds. This will work on a Concussive Shot from any friendly Hunter, not just your own Concussive Shot.

Rapid Fire has had some usability problems in PvP. Most other channeled spells will continue to deal damage when your target runs behind a pillar and breaks line of sight, but Rapid Fire requires constant line of sight. We’re changing that, and now it will behave like almost every other channeled spell that players cast, and will continue to damage a target, even if the target is no longer in line of sight. We also think it’s cool to be able to use Disengage while channeling Rapid Fire, so now you can.

Aimed Shot is a driving force behind a significant amount of the damage a Marksmanship Hunter deals. There are a lot of different stacking bonuses you can get from various Talents and Azerite Armor that can swing the damage of Aimed Shot by a huge amount. Some of these bonuses are entirely uncontrolled, which made Aimed Shot an unreliable source of damage. We want Aimed Shot to feel like an impactful and more reliable source of damage, so:
    - Careful Aim is now a guaranteed bonus to Aimed Shot damage against targets above 80% health or below 20% health.

Trueshot has changed a lot over the years, but it’s currently not a very exciting button, and it could feel much more impactful when you use it. We like that it makes your Aimed Shot cast time reduced, so we’re keeping that, and it now additionally causes your Rapid Fire and Aimed Shot abilities to recharge significantly faster while Trueshot is active. The new version of Trueshot is a significant pacing change for its duration, allowing you to cast multiple Aimed Shots and Rapid Fires during its duration. We’re also lowering its cooldown from 3 minutes to 2 minutes.
Thank you so much for this feedback!! Awesome news
My concern still remains about being able to get actually Aimed Shot actually off in PvP in the first place. As you said, it is a major driving force and a large percentage of MM's damage but being able to hardcast it with the long cast time it has in a melee-dominant PvP scene is usually a pretty big problem at the best of times.

I do thank you for the information though.
Fantastic QoL changes that should have been in release (you had the feedback).

Trickshot requiring 3 targets is horrible for cleave, and should be activated on Multi Shot (no target requirement). Though tbh, Trickshot being our baseline AoE mechanic, and basing it from Aimed's limitations (despite recent improvements), still feels horrible.

Again, these are welcome changes that should have been in release, not months after.

In addition, posting plans for the spec are very welcome, and would love to see much more on a regular basis (hint hint Shadow).
Good QoL changes to trueshot, careful aim, and explosive shot. The change to lethal shots will get rid of the two button rotation.

Here's what we still need:
  • Lone wolf buffs. No pet should always out-dps pet.
  • Utility. We have an insane lack of it. Allow us the option to change our lone wolf ability to master's call/lust. Give us tranq shot.
  • Talent tuning/fixes. Piercing shot needs a massive buff, serpent sting should beat crows by a mile. Too big of a distinction between AoE talents and single target talents. Could make explosive shot competitive in single target fights now that it isn't a MOBA skillshot.
  • Trick shot changes. Very awkward to use, have to wait until a pack is grouped enough to AoE them. Zero cleave on two targets. Limited AoE on 5+ targets
  • 10/17/2018 05:48 PMPosted by Rockford
    Fantastic QoL changes that should have been in release (you had the feedback).

Trickshot requiring 3 targets is horrible for cleave, and should be activated on Multi Shot (no target requirement). Though tbh, Trickshot being our baseline AoE mechanic, and basing it from Aimed's limitations (despite recent improvements), still feels horrible.

Again, these are welcome changes that should have been in release, not months after.

In addition, posting plans for the spec are very welcome, and would love to see much more on a regular basis (hint hint Shadow).

Please stop, legion had tons of class problems till 7.1.5. Just be happy they are fixing things.
    Cool, but Aimed Shot takes ages to cast outside of new Trueshot. Please fix it by either reducing cast time or making it castable on the move (I personally prefer second option). Also i'm not sure why CD and charges on Aimed Shot is a thing, get rid of them.

And our AOE/cleave is so bad and convoluted which sucks. Trick shot needs to be fixed, make it trigger from less targets and remove target cap.
    This is a great start and a breath of fresh air. But please take a close look at steady aim.
    So nothing about MM AOE and Lone Wolf ??? >_>
    10/17/2018 05:38 PMPosted by Nimox
    Steady Shot will now increase the duration of Concussive Shot on the target by 3 seconds. This will work on a Concussive Shot from any friendly Hunter, not just your own Concussive Shot.
    I like this, it helps LW MM Hunters maintain the gap as the spec should.

We want Aimed Shot to feel like an impactful and more reliable source of damage, so:
    - Careful Aim is now a guaranteed bonus to Aimed Shot damage against targets above 80% health or below 20% health.
    You have no idea how good this is to hear. Now I guess SA will have to be dealing reliable damage when we're not in CA phase, still a little miffed about relying on stacking the trait but I'll take this change.

Trueshot has changed a lot over the years, but it’s currently not a very exciting button, and it could feel much more impactful when you use it. We like that it makes your Aimed Shot cast time reduced, so we’re keeping that, and it now additionally causes your Rapid Fire and Aimed Shot abilities to recharge significantly faster while Trueshot is active. The new version of Trueshot is a significant pacing change for its duration, allowing you to cast multiple Aimed Shots and Rapid Fires during its duration. We’re also lowering its cooldown from 3 minutes to 2 minutes.
    The change sounds fantastic, thanks.
    Dude blue!! Why are you deleting my posts? This is the 2nd one

WHY ARE YOU DELETING MY POST BLUE????
    Still not good news to me.

Would like to see changes to Trick shot, need multi shot to hit 3 + target to activate and restricted to 3 or 5 target is plain silly and capped should be removed. Besides that, not able to cleave with 2 mobs makes us useless imo. Beast Cleave from BM spec activates when multishot hits the target with no restriction on the number of target being cleaved, why can't trickshot works the same.

Some changes to piercing shot maybe? The damage from it is laughable and kinda ignored for a talent that appears only at the 100 tree. Make it more viable or make it base skill and not a talent choice.

Aimed shot buff is great but comes at a talent choice, so its nothing to be happy about. Comes at an expense on the newly well waited explosive shot, which imo is a good fix the cleave problem that we having right now, and would like to see it as a base skill rather than talent. Our core ability comes with restriction to charges, cooldown, and focus. Tell me what is wrong with that statement.
    We also think it’s cool to be able to use Disengage while channeling Rapid Fire, so now you can.

I like this. But I'm not sure this will be enough to make the spec livable in PvE. But things like this add value to the spec and make it substantially more fun to play. Please consider the rest of our feedback thread.

This is all a step in the right direction but it's still only a single step.
    What about our aoe? Trick shots still has weird target restriction.

Still don't understand why Volley has to be rng chance. Why can't it work like blizzard, rain of fire, Starfall, etc?

Also, Tranq Shot.
    Dude. Seriously thank you SO much just for talking to us. We were getting a bit hopeless.

Rapid Fire has had some usability problems in PvP. Most other channeled spells will continue to deal damage when your target runs behind a pillar and breaks line of sight, but Rapid Fire requires constant line of sight. We’re changing that, and now it will behave like almost every other channeled spell that players cast, and will continue to damage a target, even if the target is no longer in line of sight. We also think it’s cool to be able to use Disengage while channeling Rapid Fire, so now you can.

Fantastic change. Although I haven't seen anyone express this specific concern, I agree that it did function differently from all other channeled spells, and look forward to disengage mid-rapid fire.

Agree 100%. Thanks for listening.

Aimed Shot is a driving force behind a significant amount of the damage a Marksmanship Hunter deals. There are a lot of different stacking bonuses you can get from various Talents and Azerite Armor that can swing the damage of Aimed Shot by a huge amount. Some of these bonuses are entirely uncontrolled, which made Aimed Shot an unreliable source of damage. We want Aimed Shot to feel like an impactful and more reliable source of damage, so:

This is a much smarter and more reliable way to tune this ability. Another good change. The only thing that I believe is still out of place is it's position on the talent tree. Other specs have specific AoE rows and ST rows. This is a ST ability on an AoE row. Barrage is an AoE ability on a ST row. IMO it would make sense to switch them.

One goal of ours for Marksmanship is proficiency in keeping targets at range in PvE and PvP situations. Marksmanship plays best when you have distance from your target, so we’re emphasizing some of the tools that help you either move a target away from you, or keep your distance.
    - Bursting Shot has had its knockback range increased, can no longer be dodged, and snares targets for 6 seconds now.

- Steady Shot will now increase the duration of Concussive Shot on the target by 3 seconds. This will work on a Concussive Shot from any friendly Hunter, not just your own Concussive Shot.

Thanks for listening again, and the steady shot interaction with concussive is very interesting. However, I think the bursting shot changes are unneccesary and don't really address the core of the PvP problem: control. For the most part, it's not going to matter how big the radius is or how long the snare lasts. In the situation where we're going to be using it, a melee is either going to use a gap closer or not, and the end result is going to be the same. The spec is also lacking CC in general now that bursting isn't loss of control like last expansion and scatter is on trap dr. Consider changing scatter to disorient, and/or adding a PvP talent to give bursting a root? Scatter on disorient will end up with more CC's DRed coming out of the hunter chain, where both incap and disorient will be on DR, and the hunter would then have a better way to set up. Having a PvP talent choice for a bursting root would also accomplish what you are setting out to do better.

Overall, I'm super excited that you guys have given the spec attention and look forward to what's next. Thanks again for reaching out to us.
    10/17/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Elynos
    Please stop, legion had tons of class problems till 7.1.5. Just be happy they are fixing things.

And Legion MM was in a good spot until they redid the entire thing and caused this mess. Place blame where blame is due.
    10/17/2018 06:22 PMPosted by Lekai
    10/17/2018 05:52 PMPosted by Elynos

And Legion MM was in a good spot until they redid the entire thing and caused this mess. Place blame where blame is due.

Legion MM was the most disgusting thing to happen to any spec ever which is saying a lot considering legion/bfa class design.