Bots are back

General Discussion
I hope you guys enjoyed the small break from botters. Because they're back doing their bot things. Like spamming gold selling websites on hacked accounts and dropping thousands of fish, cloth, and herbs in the AH every day.
they were never gone.
Unfortunate :(
Okay. And, what do you want us to do?
Nothing new. Just report and move on.
I've had a gold spammer with the exact same character name spamming in trade chat on Illidan for two weeks. I've reported it, reported its website and nothing happens. It just stays there spamming 24x7 uninterrupted. It's like Blizzard has no clue what regular expressions are and how they can use them to block website names.

11/04/2018 06:59 AMPosted by Kaylar
I hope you guys enjoyed the small break from botters. Because they're back doing their bot things. Like spamming gold selling websites on hacked accounts and dropping thousands of fish, cloth, and herbs in the AH every day.
Fake news.
If these are in any way like the bots of old, they are being played by people in third world countries who have been displaced or forced into working in abysmal conditions for miniscule amounts of money that none of us could survive on. Chances are they're working 12 hour shifts with impossible goals. As arable land gets taken away for factories and energy plants, people who lived by subsistence farming are left with little choice. I feel nothing but pity for those people. Who I feel disdain for is the people running and profiting from these bot farms, and lazy gamers who buy gold or leveling services. Next time you feel outrage at a "Chinese farmer" perhaps look to your right and left and you might see why they exist.
I must agree with the LARGER population, not @crookedman, that they never left. When you type in, "Buy WoW Gold," several sites will come up, plus Blizz's site as well now! lol

What it comes down to is, people see this game as a way of making RL profit (US, Euro, Renminbi, Yen, etc) . The players see it as a way of buying wow tokens. So Blizzard has created a want for players to run even more bots.
_____

The thing Blizzard needs to do is:

1) Ask the player questions and see if they respond to those questions.

2) Look for odd patterns from herb and mining node bots (Most of the bots move in straight lines because they are programmed to follow a certain path).

3) Look for consistent patterns (exact movements done over and over again... There might be small variables, but 99% of the time it is consistent. These type of bots are created by the player. You can literally run around like you normally do, except! You create a path in which the bot will now follow!
_____

Most of these issues are quite simple to fix. The number one thing is to look for consistent patterns, in which the bots follow. Ask different questions in which the players must respond. Finally, Blizz, don't be lazy and create scripts because the bots will have counter scripts.
11/04/2018 07:30 AMPosted by Looksquirrel
2) Look for odd patterns from herb and mining node bots (Most of the bots move in straight lines because they are programmed to follow a certain path).

3) Look for consistent patterns (exact movements done over and over again... There might be small variables, but 99% of the time it is consistent. These type of bots are created by the player. You can literally run around like you normally do, except! You create a path in which the bot will now follow!
What if I told you Blizzard already does this? The problem is that the bot developers are always just an inch ahead. It's like putting a lock on your door because the bad guy keeps entering your front door. Well, now he's just breaking in through a window. Security is a cat and mouse game.