Hunter classes please..

General Discussion
Prev 1 2 3 4 6 Next
11/05/2018 09:29 AMPosted by Iranuk
11/05/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Forums
And pay their monthly access fee too. Don't tell other people how to play.

I don't think I told anyone how to play, I think i requested nicely with please, and all I was be-raided with was how others believe how the correct way to learn is. Think about that next time guys.

You weren't berated. The worst, and I use that term in the loosest sense, response you received was, "git gud".

Soul crushing I'm sure.
IMO tanking should be learnt with leveling dungeons
11/05/2018 09:14 AMPosted by Iranuk
11/05/2018 09:10 AMPosted by Darbny
You don't learn to tank in WQ you learn in normal dungeons.

Maybe that's what your twisted idea of how to play the game is, but I don't want to fail a dungeon on normal and have people leave the team and get absolutely no where in terms of learning and gear progression.

It's not a "twisted" idea, it's how the game was designed.

You're going to "fail" the first time you tank a dungeon. And yeah, your group (if it's a pug) will probably get annoyed and some of them might leave. So you dust yourself off and try again. Failing is how you learn and get better, so don't be afraid of it.
@OP:

Sorry, Dude. It's not gonna happen. If my pet is powerful enough to pull aggro off you, that means I'm pumping out a threat level that you can't match. That means that when I pull the mob off you, he's coming straight for me.

I have a pet that holds aggro for a reason.

You do you, I'll do me.

kthnxbai
A 370+ hunter who MD's onto his pet is going to hold aggro until such time as an equally geared demon hunter having a bad hair day pops all their CDs and rips it off the pet. There's nothing a new, inexperienced tank is going to be able to do to "tank" under those circumstances. Take a deep breath, realise your expectations are not appropriate, and adapt. Go with friends into a dungeon and learn at your own speed. Preferably with an experienced tank with you to point out pitfalls and offer guidance.
11/05/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Vadya
"berated"

You have been given solid advice on how to learn.

Just rolled tank and need to learn where your buttons are? Training dummy.

Want to start learning how to tank in a group setting with no judgement? Normal dungeons.

The idea that you are learning anything from WQs is misguided.

Okay, okay, since nobody has asked, WHAT exactly do you think you are learning about tanking doing WQs?

1. I'm bad at spelling in some occasions on words I don't use often.

2. Training dummies teaches you nothing.

3. In terms of what I have learned, because of damage scaling, I have learned how to handle a decently large group of mobs and not die solo so a healer doesn't need to constantly worry about a tank dying. I have learned what is the best abilities to use in that situation, and I have learned what abilities are best for the encounters with minimal mobs. Aggro generation is something I still need to work on, and obviously the dungeon mechanics is another thing I need to learn.
How do you a problem with an offtank, I personally have no issue with hunter pets taunting. I have a taunt also lol and there are times having an offtank in a dng or WQ helps. To each their own of course.

I find using mouseover macros help a lot with taunting also, I rarely tab target these days with all my spells being either mouseover or cursorover macroed. Give it a try if you're not using them and hopefully that'll help you out.
If you don't want to jump into dungeons yet, have you tried proving grounds? Is that still an option?
11/05/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Iranuk
I have learned how to handle a decently large group of mobs and not die solo so a healer doesn't need to constantly worry about a tank dying.

Yeah, that's not going to correlate to instance tanking until you are pulling enough to put you in danger of dying or actually dying because you won't be taking anywhere near the same amount of damage.
Blizzard has stated that WQs were designed for solo play and broke auto group add-ons just for that, and you know which class is know for its ability to solo? If you are having issues with pet taunting then it means the pet is better at tanking than you, and it is not the responsibility of Hunter to bend over just for you. If this was a dungeon then it is the hunters fault for pulling aggro; however, in open world content the player does not have to think about the group it is free for all. If you have a difficulty tanking then it is not everyone else that needs to change it is you who needs to go learn how to play.
A hunters pet can pretty much tank any WQ boss so you are really not learning anything if they can do it.
11/05/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Iranuk
11/05/2018 09:15 AMPosted by Zeekarai
You're delusional.

Okay so my experiences with people leaving mid dungeon, or trying to kick me, is a figment of my imagination I see, or am I delusional because I like to learn in a different manor from the rest of you guys?

I don't know what you're doing in Normal Dungeons to get treated like this. I'm a new tank too. This is my first one. I literally got lost and led the group in to a dark, empty section of RFK and said "oops... sorry"... Gave DPS the lead and he got us back on track. Everybody had a friendly laugh over it. Sounds like you've just gotten D-Bags in your groups. Normal Dungeons are nothing to get bent about. Ever.
Even if I was a tank, I'd rather other player's pet take damage instead of me during WQ's. IF you wanna learn to tank, then learn to over come pet aggro. Always strive to be better, instead of bringing other players down.
11/05/2018 09:14 AMPosted by Acrea
11/05/2018 09:08 AMPosted by Iranuk
Ok cool so you are all fine with failing dungeon fights due to an inexperienced tank I see. Good to know that this community isn't a toxic sludge pit.. Oh wait. I do not mean everyone there are obviously good people in the community.

you tell the group up front that you're learning, and I'll back you ant time anyone in group gives you any crap.

We need more tanks, not less.

/salute
I just recently started leveling my BDK so that I can use her to tank, and you know how I'm learning?

Solo questing
Island expeditions
Dungeons
Reading a guide

You know how I'm not planning to learn?

Attempting to tank WQs

Here's the thing: even in a WQ that requires a large group, such as the weekly world bosses, you're going to have about 5 tanks, all of whom are attempting to rip aggro off each other just to prove that they can. What exactly do you think that's teaching you?

The value of learning to tank in dungeons is that there is no other tank there trying to take threat, and everyone is actually attempting to cooperate to some degree. If your intent is to learn to tank instanced content, then you should be practicing in instanced content, not in open world. There are no rules in the open world.

When I'm on my Hunter, my pet's taunt is on for MY protection. I'm not going to turn it on and off just because there might be a random newbie tank trying to learn how to tank. I'm going to keep it on 100% of the time so that I don't die instantly when things come to attack me.

My advice to you? Go into dungeons. You don't have to pull half the dungeon right off the bat. Start out small and work your way up to bigger pulls. Let the healer worry about your health because that is literally their job, and don't worry about wasting defensive cds on trash. If you haven't done any dungeons yet this expansion, I'd recommend doing each of them as dps first, just so you can get an idea of what the fights look like.

And don't ask pet classes to turn off their pets' taunt in open world content.
11/05/2018 09:52 AMPosted by Båkkag
11/05/2018 09:17 AMPosted by Iranuk

Okay so my experiences with people leaving mid dungeon, or trying to kick me, is a figment of my imagination I see, or am I delusional because I like to learn in a different manor from the rest of you guys?

I don't know what you're doing in Normal Dungeons to get treated like this. I'm a new tank too. This is my first one. I literally got lost and led the group in to a dark, empty section of RFK and said "oops... sorry"... Gave DPS the lead and he got us back on track. Everybody had a friendly laugh over it. Sounds like you've just gotten D-Bags in your groups. Normal Dungeons are nothing to get bent about. Ever.

That's the experience I've seen as well.

As a DPS, I won't leave or vote kick unless someone is being a blatant !@#$. Let the group know you're learning; you might be surprised at how understanding / helpful they are.

There will always be a55hats, and they don't care if you're new or not.
Speaking of taunting off the tank. I have a lvl 78 elemental shaman I started a couple of months ago and I've been queuing for random dungeons since I was able to. What surprised me was when I'd use Earth Elemental on boss fights. It grabbed aggro off the tank quite often. I cringed, thinking I'd get yelled at, and looked around for a way to keep it from grabbing aggro. Amazingly enough no one has complained. Also as a long time hunter player, I have almost always used specific pets for dungeons and always kept growl off them. It's nice Blizz defaults it to being off.
11/05/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Iranuk
11/05/2018 09:33 AMPosted by Vadya
"berated"

You have been given solid advice on how to learn.

Just rolled tank and need to learn where your buttons are? Training dummy.

Want to start learning how to tank in a group setting with no judgement? Normal dungeons.

The idea that you are learning anything from WQs is misguided.

Okay, okay, since nobody has asked, WHAT exactly do you think you are learning about tanking doing WQs?

1. I'm bad at spelling in some occasions on words I don't use often.

2. Training dummies teaches you nothing.

3. In terms of what I have learned, because of damage scaling, I have learned how to handle a decently large group of mobs and not die solo so a healer doesn't need to constantly worry about a tank dying. I have learned what is the best abilities to use in that situation, and I have learned what abilities are best for the encounters with minimal mobs. Aggro generation is something I still need to work on, and obviously the dungeon mechanics is another thing I need to learn.

1. Yeah but... "be-raided"? Come on.

2. Training dummies teach you where your buttons are so you don't have to look.

3. You're a DH. You're not supposed to facetank. You are learning bad habits. Do dungeons and get used to them to increase your skill and confidence.

You have been given good advice from people who have done it before, and you're inventing convoluted excuses to never do dungeons. Ask yourself why you want to tank at all.
No one else mentioned it, but the "training grounds" scenario is useful for learning a spec. You get to it by talking to your class trainer. Opens at level 20 or 30 I think.
Sry, OP, but I'm not going to switch Growl on and off in open-world content everytime someone shows up in a tank spec, especially when they show up after my pet and I soloed a silver-lined down to 10%. Yes, I can be fight a silver alone then at 10% it's like people crawl out of the woodwork for the kill.

Fact is, in the open-world, I trust my pet's ability to tank, and survive, more than Joe Schmoe PC in tank spec running in and tagging and maybe or maybe not sticking around to help me kill it.

Also, Growl is automatically turned off in instanced group content, and I turn it off for world bosses.