Hunter classes please..

General Discussion
Prev 1 4 5 6 Next
Absolutely no need to auto-disable growl outside of instances.

World boss? Growl doesn't work on them anyway.

Auto-disable it inside instances only, it helps prevent accidental taunts from newer players who truly don't yet understand the class. It's needed in the open world to keep stuff off of us.
...The hunter doesn't care if you are in danger or not, they care if THEY are in danger. The pet is holding aggro for the hunter not you. A smart tank who likes smaller repair bills is quite happy to let snookums tank for the 20 seconds it takes to kill a WQ mob.
lol
Thanks for the laugh. I've seen some really funny pet names but this one is a new one for me. Great name for any hunter pet. I've named my Gorilla "mikee" and get a lot of laughs out of it.

My pvp hunter's pet is, "Buttercup"...always amused me to be killed by Buttercup.
It's just WQs. You're welcome for sharing the load.
11/05/2018 11:03 AMPosted by Kéres

Most good hunters these days are only using spirit (Tenacity) pets for their triple duty as tank, healer, and ability to dispel enemy buffs.

As has been noted, going into a dungeon automatically turns off Growl anyways, so there's no good reason to switch.

Yeah. All pet families do the same base damage, and the damage reduction CD spirit beasts give (along with some heals) is just too perfect for instanced content. It's a no brainer, imo.
If I’m at a regular WQ I don’t pay attn to growl these days - those mobs die too fast now.

On elite mobs, if I’m there 1st growl stays on. If tank is there 1st and mob has enough health left for thinking, growl goes off.

If I join a queue for a WB taunt goes off.

In island Expeditions i’ll Turn taunt off until you show me you can’t hold aggro, at which point it goes back on. I’m not going to pay a repair bill because you can’t keep the mobs on you.

In general, i’m More than happy to let the tank get beat on. Then I can be lazy and just dps and not worry about healing or reviving my pet.
11/05/2018 09:28 AMPosted by Iranuk
You are free to learn as you please, you are not free to tell everyone else what they can and cannot do. Go find an elite that no-one will bother you with if that's your fancy. But don't expect others to follow your orders with WQs unless you're paying their sub fee.

I don't think I ordered anyone, I think i requested nicely with please, and all I was be-raided with was how others believe how the correct way to learn is. Think about that next time guys.

Literally the first sentence in the post you created was you ordering hunters to turn off agro in open world. You also ordered them to "stop making [your] job harder". There is more to tanking than being able to fight a few (or less) things in the open world. Things you aren't going to learn by fighting mobs solo.

Like so many others stated politely before you accused them of being toxic just for disagreeing with you, go into normal dungeons where you should be learning to tank. Tell the group you are learning. Then learn.
If someone ask me to turn off taunt to help them with game play, I am fine with that.

Guess I am old school - When a tank asks me to turn off taunt or turn it on, I do it. It's a respect thing. Yes, some tanks will ask you to aggro as well on certain fights.

One thing though, when I turn off taunt, and my dps is at the top of the group, I can aggro the boss and wipe, which is a bad, but I am still ok with it. This tells me I need to work on my defensive skills, if I can get to them because of GCD crap. I don't like GCD.

EDIT: cleared up a sentence.
If someone ask me to turn off taunt to help them with game play, I am fine with that.

Guess I am old school - When a tank asks me to turn off taunt or turn it on, I do it. It's a respect thing. Yes, some tanks will ask you to aggro as well on certain fights.

One thing though, when I turn of taunt, and my dps is at the top of the group, I can aggro the boss and wipe, which is a bad, but I am still ok with it. This tells me I need to work on my defensive skills, if I get to them because of GCD crap. I don't like GCD.

If someone asks I'll do the same, but I can only recall such a thing happening once or twice. WQs aren't meant to be any sort of practice.
11/05/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Kentaurus

One thing though, when I turn of taunt, and my dps is at the top of the group, I can aggro the boss and wipe, which is a bad, but I am still ok with it. This tells me I need to work on my defensive skills, if I get to them because of GCD crap. I don't like GCD.

If someone asks I'll do the same, but I can only recall such a thing happening once or twice. WQs aren't meant to be any sort of practice.

That is true.
Nah.

My hunter always has growl on when it is "alone." It coming up to a World Quest dude, that it could solo, means I more or less ignore that other players are there. That way I don't get aggro on the Hunter itself.

The other players are just there to help, but I still play like I'm alone.

Now if it is a World Boss, which is outside, then I'd turn off growl.
Hunter classes

I wasn't aware there was more than one in the game.
lol.
11/05/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Graewyn
Hunter classes

I wasn't aware there was more than one in the game.
:)
Haha because WQ are so difficult to do you need to hold aggro?????
I have both several hunters and I'm also a tank.
I tank world bosses and world quests every week. Hunter Pets growl has ZERO effect on my ability to tank. The worst is maybe their changing boss facing during a frontal attack like a breath weapon. That's what popping your taunt is for when you know the attack is coming and the facing changes.

This expac I haven't tanked any dungeons as I really haven't had the extra time as this is an alt and I'm focused on my main, and only do WQ to get some gear.. So in that way I'm in the same boat right now, and I'm telling you, in WQ hunter pets have never pulled a boss away enough to ever be an issue, they have only helped.
Dealing with hunter pets taunting your mobs in a pug is part of learning to tank. You must learn to deal with these situations with patience.

If your only way out of such a situation for you is to get angry and vote kick the offending member, then continue to practice until you have reached a state of acceptance. It's really not that bad...

Is the mob going to do anything that will kill the group if it's positioned wrong? No? let the pet tank it and die. If the mob is going to do something that can kill the group, politely remind the hunter that they forgot to turn off growl. If they still did not turn it off, allow the boss to kill the group.

Know that you are doing your job well, and that you are leading your group. Anyone who wants to take matters into their own hands and move ahead of you, let them. Continue to act the way you would have if they had not. Your rogue is confident he can tank a mob on his own? The mage wants to pull mobs ahead as you tank the current group? The hunter is confident that their pet can tank a mob, let them have at it! They can't turn around and blame you when they die or wipe the group though.
If OP is not already running normal dungeons to learn to tank then they already are a fail tank. They simply want to wait until they out gear them and learn nothing about tanking but how to pull full rooms and chain pull without the fear of taking enough damage that will kill them because they are too op'ed for the dungeon setting. Later when they get into heroic or mythic they get face stomped because they don't know what they are doing and are kicked for being a idiot tank. But hey they learned how to pull lots of mobs in world and let other people killed them for them before they could die. Ohh don't forget all DPS with pets please turn off taunt in world so they can think they can handle more mobs and think they can be a dungeon or LFR hero in the making.
11/05/2018 09:08 AMPosted by Iranuk
Ok cool so you are all fine with failing dungeon fights due to an inexperienced tank I see. Good to know that this community isn't a toxic sludge pit.. Oh wait. I do not mean everyone there are obviously good people in the community.
You don't learn to tank from world content. Just like every other tank. You learn from failure in dungeons.
11/05/2018 11:06 AMPosted by Dosao
11/05/2018 10:00 AMPosted by Thorland
Speaking of taunting off the tank. I have a lvl 78 elemental shaman I started a couple of months ago and I've been queuing for random dungeons since I was able to. What surprised me was when I'd use Earth Elemental on boss fights. It grabbed aggro off the tank quite often. I cringed, thinking I'd get yelled at, and looked around for a way to keep it from grabbing aggro. Amazingly enough no one has complained. Also as a long time hunter player, I have almost always used specific pets for dungeons and always kept growl off them. It's nice Blizz defaults it to being off.

When I started playing this toon , I thought using the earth ele would help the tank during boss fights . Then a tank told me that me doing that is not making his job easier but harder as it is pulling aggro of him. He said it politely and I don’t use it anymore unless the tank has died or the situation is completely out of control .
You get helpful ppl in dungeons too along with the asshats.

Earth elemental no longer taunts in dungeions/raids. It functions (as I understand it--not promising anything) as a bit of a dps cooldown. i think.
So automatically turning off growl in dungeons isn't enough. Now tanks are complaining about world quests?? lmao gtfo!!!