Who actually mobile games?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 13 Next
I play mobile games because there are some days I'm unable to get out of bed so the only thing I have to amuse myself is my phone.

Recently got a Switch for more options, but I still play phone games when I'm not feeling like playing "real" games.
I have Simcity Buildit,Bejeweled, and Mahjong on my phone. I had Golden Axe and The Revenge of Shinobi downloaded but the controls made playing a pain.
11/09/2018 02:27 AMPosted by Elae
How then do you explain the decrease in male fertility rates over the past 20-30 years or so?

The decline in male fertility dates back to the early 1970s, and one of the few prevailing theories is that whatever is causing it may actually begin in the womb.
Well this thread backfired.

I play hearthstone, ff15, and secert of mana mobile. Played alot of l2r on release.
11/09/2018 02:55 AMPosted by Hrumn
How then do you explain the decrease in male fertility rates over the past 20-30 years or so?

The decline in male fertility dates back to the early 1970s, and one of the few prevailing theories is that whatever is causing it may actually begin in the womb.

Fair enough.

Okay back to the topic...

I think card games like Hearthstone are acceptable for mobile phones.
11/08/2018 08:22 PMPosted by Hellasha
Lots of people, mobile gaming is one of the largest sectors of the gaming industry.

It's been shrinking for a few years now. I've worked as a programmer all my life and 6 years ago I decided I wanted to try mobile game development. I applied to all the local companies, but they all wanted people in their early 20's who were willing to work 7 days a week and had no family / spouse commitments.

About half of my programmer friend fit that category and switched jobs to one of the dozens of companies around here. Things seemed great for them for a while. Companies expanded, the number of games / apps being created was going up at a steady rate. Then a couple years ago it started drying up. The demand for new mobile games / apps dropped drastically, putting most of those companies out of business and my friends out of work.

I'm happy they didn't want me because if I had switched I would be out of work too, since the old companies that made desktop software have been increasingly streamlining their development methods and require a lot less programmers than they did six years ago. One piece of software I wrote, which writes newer versions of other software, has eliminated the need for three programmers on my team. I can foresee a day soon when even I won't be needed, but I'm ready for retirement anyway.
You know hearthstone is the worst out of the ones I play. Its mostly only tolerable because its on mobile. Its pretty boring especially on PC.

Now ys chronicals on the other hand is fun mobile game.
[quote="207682710591"] One piece of software I wrote, which writes newer versions of other software, has eliminated the need for three programmers on my team. I can foresee a day soon when even I won't be needed, but I'm ready for retirement anyway.

Writing ai software was your first mistake. The job market might be decreasing, but the player base is increasing
My phone has a very crap battery life. on a full charge if I leave the screen on it'll die in under 2 hours. that isn't including running a game, which would kill it even faster.

in order for me to play any mobile game, I'd need to have my phone constantly plugged into a portable charger, or into a wall. Then I may as well be playing on a PC for all the good that did.

When I first got a phone that could play mobile games. Sure, I played them a bit, but most of them were the same, click and wait games. Or the slot machine ones that spat out a monster. Even for Diablo I would fear it would just be littered with micro transactions that would stop the gameplay in it's tracks until you coughed up the money.

I haven't touched a mobile game in nearly 2 years and I don't feel any desire to do so. I will ignore Diablo Mobile as much as possible.
The people buying/playing mobile, in my experience, are two types:

People who can't afford consoles or PC and they're young, so they don't care about the legacy or hype of games. They weren't alive or cognizant for Mortal Kombat and Street Fighter and Quake, all they know are tiddly winks mobile games and Pokemon. So children through 20 year olds basically, children if you will.

Then the other type are females. If you're a female and for whatever reason you don't want to get into gaming, mobile games are there for you to do, but don't count as gaming, so you can't be targeted for any stigmas or predatory men, in fact, people may not even know you play them, perfect for closet gamer women.

TL;DR: women and children.
11/09/2018 02:55 AMPosted by Hrumn

The leading hypothesis is chemical contamination, as it has been for more than one biological disaster in recent years. The leading suspect is phthalates, used in many common plastics, which can mimic hormones and throw off in-utero endocrine functions as shown in rodent studies. Nothing is known for certain, but that's where the most promising research seems to be for now.

The leading hypothesis is NOT cellphones, which didn't enter particularly wide use until some 20 years after the trend appears to have started in the 1970s.

Look, there are a lot of things I'll blame !@#$ty mobile games for, but that isn't one of them. I'm pretty sure at the very least Activision isn't coming for your fertility :P
Hearthstone and tap titans 2. Play both daily while at work
Per the new announcements and the summary on MMO I'm legit curious, how many people really play mobile games?

Is this actually true? I personally don't see this so I won't dismiss it as true, but sad to see this is happening if so. I can't stand my phone as it is. The last phone game I played was probably Words with Friends or something.
Mobile phones have a higher market penetration than desktop or laptop computers, worldwide. PC gaming is going the way of the dinosaur with consoles and mobiles pushing it out at a steady rate. We are approaching (or probably now over; I couldn't find very recent articles) 400 million mobile devices in the US alone.

Also, you may forget that "phone games" are playable on tablets as well, which are quickly replacing the laptop computer in an average home.

PCs are old, specialized, and losing popularity quickly. Phones, on the other hand, are in every pocket from pre-teens to senior citizens. You don't see people lining up outside of the "PC store" (is there any?) to buy the new PC-Galaxy-X do you?
I don't play mobile games. I don't like the small screen and constant notifications and pay 2 win models...it's not for me.

Why I have an awesome pc. That's all I play on.
I just realized I forgot to shield in Lord's Mobile, RIP.
Asians
From the earnings report, for a little comparison:

King had 262 million MAUs in the quarter. Candy Crush Saga™ MAUs grew year-over-year. In October, the newly launched Candy Crush Friends Saga reached the top of the iPhone download charts in 93 countries within three weeks.

Blizzard had 37 million MAUs in the quarter. World of Warcraft: Battle for Azeroth set a new day-one franchise record with more than 3.4 million units sold-through. World of Warcraft engagement grew strongly quarter-over-quarter. Hearthstone® recently surpassed the 100 million life-to-date registered player milestone.

----

So yeah, more people are into mobile gaming.
You all remember that Apple commericial, "whats a compooter?"?
Turns out that was actually an omen for the reality we're approaching.

See someone above me explained it: the new generation already sees PCs as archaic grandpa machines. Every new generation becomes increasingly less patient, with a smaller attention span.

Is it any wonder all the corporations want to jump ship?

I mean generations of new human beings 70 years from now will probably require hologram pip-boys on their wrists at all times or they won't be able to function in day-to-day life. We've already 100% seen it with phones. If you don't own a smart phone, you're down right ridiculed, I've literally been called stupid for not owning one.
Technology bigotry is what we're approaching and you can't predict these things, but you can see it now.
I play Pokémon Go (spent $0) and Marvel Puzzle Quest (Maybe spent $100 in the past 4-5 years).

Those are the only two games I've dedicated to and haven't gotten bored of. I've tried dozens of other games like Fallout Shelter, the Westworld version of Fallout Shelter, Clash of Clan type games etc. but none of them have stuck with me. I did play the Dynasty Warriors game and Marvel Future Sight (which both are similar in format to Diablo it looks like) for awhile but I realized having an "autoplay" feature actually decreases my desire to play the game.
The only ones I play with any kind of regularity are Fate/Grand Order, Azur Lane, and Fire Emblem Heroes. 2/3 are very generous compared to a lot of mobile games, with me having spent nothing on FEH and AL.

FEH because I like the series, even if the writing and characterization in it is trash

AL purely for gameplay and a lot of the art

FGO because I love a lot of Type-Moon's stories, as dumb as they can be, and for the OST. It's fairly unique in the regard that Type-Moon took a more direct hand in the game's development(it was given to Delight Works Inc because the CEOs are drinking buddies, no joke), with Nasu(Type-Moon co-founder, effectively drives the series) saying that he wasn't content with it being another run of the mill gachapon game and wanted it to be more like a JRPG.

They started putting a lot more into the music in mid-2016, and it really helps the feel of things. Never go cheap on the music.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HtLhj-vrZMQ
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NFmqonuaEP8