If LFR helps WoW, why are subs at an all time low?

General Discussion
Prev 1 10 11 12 20 Next
I totally agree with the OP. LFR has killed WoW, which is why i'm totally waiting for the hardcore game Wildstar to come out. Its going to totally kill WoW because it doesn't give free epics to bads! /sarcasm off
Game is old, so is going to attract few new players. Why should new players take up a 15 year old game, no matter how good it is, when there are so many shiny new games to spend their time on? Meanwhile existing players are inevitably going to drift away, no matter how good the game is.
I log in, have 1/2 hour play time at most per session. I do one LFR wing comes and goes, as I please. I trade every piece of lfr loot to other people as they are inferior to low keys.

Because of lfr, I get to see what the boss looks like, and the cinematic gated behind the raid.

For the op, is this offensive to you?
It's a no-brainer really, but the only thing that LFR should do differently is that it should ONLY bring an appropriately configured group of casual players together. At the moment, it only takes a couple of minutes to get anywhere because of portals and short flight distances, so why not?

It should NOT automatically port everyone to the raid - except maybe in the instance where someone has left / been replaced and a Warlock cannot summon.

It should NOT bypass trash.

It should be slightly easier than NORMAL mode because it's aimed more at casual players.

There you go. Sense of achievement returns.

11/09/2018 11:15 AMPosted by Murdina
Game is old, so is going to attract few new players. Why should new players take up a 15 year old game, no matter how good it is, when there are so many shiny new games to spend their time on? Meanwhile existing players are inevitably going to drift away, no matter how good the game is.

I'll tell you why it should attract new players, because ActiBlizzion is making a beautifully crafted, state of the art, market leading MMO with a story that players want to be a part of.

But this is exactly what isn't happening right now.
11/08/2018 10:17 PMPosted by Magnemyte
1.7 million subs is NOT a good number for the game... If WoW had more of a community + more RPG gameplay maybe more people would play? The LFR gameplay is dissatisfying to the spirit, people react better to the carrot than the stick.
On what basis can you assign the fall in subscription numbers, whatever they may be, to LFR? A lot of things have been changed in WoW over the year. You don't know what caused the fall in numbers.
11/09/2018 01:48 PMPosted by Stellan
1.7 million subs is NOT a good number for the game... If WoW had more of a community + more RPG gameplay maybe more people would play? The LFR gameplay is dissatisfying to the spirit, people react better to the carrot than the stick.
On what basis can you assign the fall in subscription numbers, whatever they may be, to LFR? A lot of things have been changed in WoW over the year. You don't know what caused the fall in numbers.

Are you new to the internet? This is standard practice. Pull a random number out of thin air. Claim it is fact. Blame it on some random thing you don't personally like. State that causation as fact. Profit!!!!!

one could speculate just as simply

if wow subs are this bud, How much worse if LFR were removed?

See how perspective works?
11/09/2018 04:06 AMPosted by Sykora
Buddy....I cleared half the raid on the first day with a pug.... If someone NEEDS lfr to see content, then im sorry but they're just plain bad or lazy or both

Good for you, but not everyone has a group they can do the normal+ version of the raid with. LFR is a great fallback for when you have nothing else.
11/09/2018 04:32 AMPosted by Sykora
If people wan't too see the content but are too lazy to join a pug or guild, they can watch it on youtube.

And then Blizzard wouldn't be able to justify to the bean counters spending resources to make content that the majority of players won't see, so the PUGs and guilds will have much less of the type of content that they actually want. How does this help anyone?
Back to the topic at hand, LFR is crap, you join a group, go AFK on a 3 button rotation, someone else will carry G'huun Orbs and you win. You can get gear, WF, TF, Sanguicell, BoE. Why would some players who are not hardcore go any other route than the laziest one there is? You go AFK in half the stuff you do ion this game, as long as you do something, put some numbers on the board, move a little, follow the crowd, than you have no issues of being kicked.

And the lazier the players get the lazier everyone gets to the point if Blizzard was to keep LFR they need to nerf it everytime a raid comes out, than players get lazy, players follow the laziness, Blizzard nerfs. It is this snowball effect that I hate because Blizzard should be putting time into making more content rather than modifying it to be less.

Freudian slip, little shadow puppet?
11/09/2018 01:59 PMPosted by Tadkins
11/09/2018 04:06 AMPosted by Sykora
Buddy....I cleared half the raid on the first day with a pug.... If someone NEEDS lfr to see content, then im sorry but they're just plain bad or lazy or both

Good for you, but not everyone has a group they can do the normal+ version of the raid with. LFR is a great fallback for when you have nothing else.

Anonymous strangers beating their chests to show off nothing whatever to strangers are what the internet is about.
QQ moar pls

The dead horse that will never die!
0/10 troll
So the game isn't doing well and all you can think of is LFR?

Not things like class pruning, nerfs, scaling, content, raid or die endgame, RNG worse than it's ever been in the games history, XP leveling nerfs, Azerite grind, removing so much player choice, locking flying out from people who enjoy the feature and many more reasons, but no, let's just blame an optional feature instead.
11/08/2018 10:42 PMPosted by Degame
carrot on the stick with extra rng on it.

I bet people would play more if the game had less rng and actually get the mount/toy/gear they want.

reward > try again next week.

That would hurt subs too. Get what you want early and unsub until next raid or patch. There is no happy medium with this.
Simple its not LFR that is the issue. The issue is the lackluster Character development over the last three expansions, where classes have gone backwards instead of forwards.
Let's reframe the narrative. Would subs go up if LFR is removed? or would it go down? Those are the questions you should be asking. The one you asked is misleading and leads to the conclusion you want to be true. Not one that you can prove to be true.
I have only done LFR but my heart beats for Heroic and Mythic raiding

LFR is by no means a bad thing. But it has killed what I believe the core concept of this game was (Team work). LFR has allowed for players to see and engage in end game content which is not a bad thing. I wish they would make LFR honestly NORMAL that way it helps people instead. NORM(LFR)>HEROIC>MYTHIC. But LFR has dumbed down the skills of a lot of WoW players. You used to have to know your class and the fights to succeed. Now you just spam frostbolt and get EPIC gear.

My biggest concern is the dismantling of people who want to pursue tougher content and can not find the team to do it.

LFR is not keeping the game alive nor is it killing it, but somehow the game has shifted in favor of the bad player reaping almost the same rewards as someone 100x better than them.
Come back with substantial data that it wouldn't be lower without LFR.
Legit question, besides seeing the content is there ANY reason to do LFR now?

No tier gear

Better gear comes from easier less time consuming M+ spam

Better gear comes from doing Warfronts and Arathi rare farming

Seriously, what's the reason behind even doing LFR anymore? I'm not saying remove it, I just don't see the point in it anymore.