Races and Specs

Story Forum
So what specs do you think each race would and would not be for their classes.

I personally can never find myself playing a Sub Goblin Rogue, Assaination and Outlaw seem to good for the race.
You can make a big fat Kul Tiran Rogue, but not a Draenei Rogue?

Maybe the hooves echo on hard surfaces.
11/10/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Cursewords

My guess is that KT's can be rogues because of Outlaw and the pirate theme. And outlaw is the less stealth dependent of all 3 specs.

Maybe the hooves echo on hard surfaces.

There's a monty-python joke here, i just can't see it
I think the only canon examples of races being hard-locked from a spec would be the Lightforged and void elves from shadow and the two priest healing specs respectively. I don't think anything else is really off-limits in the same way that it would destroy them.

Otherwise balance druids seem to make the least sense for the two newest druids since they seem entirely unrelated to the Cenarius/Malfurion/Elune school of teaching. No, shut up. I know you're going to mention those !@# pulled Elunite trolls. You're wrong and they're dumb. Nyeh.
11/10/2018 06:10 PMPosted by Jerolan
I think the only canon examples of races being hard-locked from a spec would be the Lightforged and void elves from shadow and the two priest healing specs respectively. I don't think anything else is really off-limits in the same way that it would destroy them.

Otherwise balance druids seem to make the least sense for the two newest druids since they seem entirely unrelated to the Cenarius/Malfurion/Elune school of teaching. No, shut up. I know you're going to mention those !@# pulled Elunite trolls. You're wrong and they're dumb. Nyeh.

You and the Zandalari Priest would get along just fine.
I'm in the same boat Happy, every since MM Hunters got Thas'dorah as their artifact weapon in Legion I have a hard time playing an MM hunter as anything other than a Blood Elf. Though that's probably more of a personal preference.

On a more related note I definitely feel awkward playing my Blood Elf shadow priest now that Void Elves are a thing. Especially when I'm running around Silvermoon, lol.

Yah, a Zandalari balance druid really doesn't make any sense unless you are a heretic worshiping an impotent moon thing, which is unfortunate because we never really interact with the Lun'alai during questing. We exclusively deal with the Raptari of Wardruid Loti, and they seem pretty hard locked into feral or guardian.
I would enjoy exploring the whole astral theme. That could be universal among all races. Mastery over Sun, Moon, Stars, and cosmic intergalactic forces.

Astral form is great, and /flap in Dazar'alor is convenient.
11/10/2018 07:44 PMPosted by Loraxzilla
I would enjoy exploring the whole astral theme. That could be universal among all races. Mastery over Sun, Moon, Stars, and cosmic intergalactic forces.

Astral form is great, and /flap in Dazar'alor is convenient.

Some lore to flesh out what astral magic IS would be nice, true. It still bugs me that an entire spec got shifted from druid magic to star magic without any real explanation.

I miss insect swarm.

Suppose you could flavor it as hedge arcane magic. Elune kind of encompasses the schools of the Arcane, Light, and Life anyway, isn't impossible to say one could channel that kind of magic without worshiping or knowing of her.

For my Kul Tiran Druid, I'm going to somehow tie it in to how sailors used the stars and other celestial bodies to navigate. It's not much, and it's pure headcanon, but it's something.
11/10/2018 05:41 PMPosted by Reallyhappy
So what specs do you think each race would and would not be for their classes.

I personally can never find myself playing a Sub Goblin Rogue, Assaination and Outlaw seem to good for the race.

Of all the specs I would have said Sub was the most goblin of them. Underhanded, operating in the shadows, striking their enemies when they least expect it. All pretty goblin-y stuff.
11/10/2018 07:48 PMPosted by Kisin
I miss insect swarm.
I miss the green lightning bolts over the dumb sun farts.
11/10/2018 08:52 PMPosted by Jerolan
I miss the green lightning bolts over the dumb sun farts.

Wrath used to be one of my favorite spells. Made me feel like a WC3 Grove Keeper.

That and Force of Nature. At least we still have that one, even if it's a talent point now.
From a lore standpoint, I'm surprised Worgen can't be Monks. A race with natural weapons in the form of fangs and claws and a class that generally prefers fighting hand to hand. That seems like a match made in Heaven.
I don't think Forsaken Monks make sense for any spec.

The current Holy Light/Void dichotomy of Priests also ruins plenty of Priest options, like Trolls, Tauren, and Night Elves.

We really need racial glyphs or subclasses that give classes unique spell visuals depending on race. (Ex. Troll Priests would be Witch-Doctors or Loa Priests, with spell visuals referencing different Loa, depending on their spec. Tauren Paladins/Priests would drop the Judeo-Christian angel themes and pick up Sunfire themes because they're Sun Druids.) Even changing spell schools for races would be ok with me. (I.e. Tauren Paladins/Priests do fire damage, not holy.)
I think the best race for warlocks are manari, especially if the demonology warlock has wings like kiljaden.
I don't think there's really that many specs that don't fit aside from silly things like holy/disc void elf or shadow lightforged.

I do think there are some that fit better like draenei arcane mage or blood elf fire mage. But I wouldn't say it'd be terribly weird to see a draenei fire mage or blood elf frost mage either.

There's been draenei rogues in every expansion except Wrath and BfA, but they're still not playable for some reason.
Somehow I don’t think a Lightforged shadow priest would end well in canon.