Why are there so many Naga?

Story Forum
11/11/2018 01:46 PMPosted by Grimvald
On another note, are they born evil/corrupted (like the black dragons were) or not?

Please, please no.

They're a spiteful people who lost their empire and were forced to slum it underwater for thousands of years. That's their reason for hostility.

They don't also need to be biologically inclined towards evil.
11/13/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Solythn
Please, please no.

They're a spiteful people who lost their empire and were forced to slum it underwater for thousands of years. That's their reason for hostility.

They don't also need to be biologically inclined towards evil.

They work for the Old Gods. Of course they're biologically inclined towards evil, because the Old Gods are two-dimensional MADNESS AND CHAOS MUAHAHA EVIL! villains, and therefore their minions are as well.

Like seriously it's a fact that black dragons are corrupted from birth. Why would naga be any different?
Please, please no.

They don't also need to be biologically inclined towards evil
... they were literally twisted by the direct hand of an Old God. Why on earth wouldn't they be biologically tuned to N'Zoth FM?
Nothin’ else to do when you’re chillin’ underwater. May as well get randy.
11/13/2018 12:41 PMPosted by Grandblade
I'm pretty sure it was just whoever went in the drink at the time...

My memory on the novelized version of this event is hazy - somebody who's recently read War of the Ancients, what was the scale of the events depicted in Warbringers: Azshara?
Been years since I read it, but I'm pretty sure that the book's version of events is very different from the Warbringers video. First off, if I'm not mistaken, Azshara was still in her palace conjuring the shield. Warbringers she was out in the street (In THAT dress? Hmmmmm, scandalous). And I think the Old Gods (not any one specified in particular) whispered her before the bubble popped and they were sinking.

Memory could be fuzzy on that one, admittedly, and I can't pop it open since it was on an old Kindle of mine that's no longer attached to my current account.
11/13/2018 04:54 PMPosted by Rothiron
And I think the Old Gods (not any one specified in particular)

It was just one voice I think, it was never stated or implied to have been more than one.

First off, if I'm not mistaken, Azshara was still in her palace conjuring the shield

Yeah she was.

If I recall, she was making her shield but it was slowly breaking. She started breaking a sweat for the first time in her life. Then the voice started talking to her. The shield got worse and worse, so Azshara accepted the bargain out of desperation. The shield breaks, she is caught in the water but does not drown.

Azshara having any sort of say in it was entirely from the Harbingers, in the original version had Azshara under duress when she bargained and really would've accepted anything, where's Warbringers had her calmer and able to bargain a bit more.

To be honest I think I like the newer version more.
11/13/2018 12:57 PMPosted by Reignac
They work for the Old Gods. Of course they're biologically inclined towards evil, because the Old Gods are two-dimensional MADNESS AND CHAOS MUAHAHA EVIL! villains, and therefore their minions are as well.
More like four-dimensional madness and chaos.
We just don't understand because we're mere mortals.
11/13/2018 05:00 PMPosted by Ximothy
First off, if I'm not mistaken, Azshara was still in her palace conjuring the shield

Yeah she was.

If I recall, she was making her shield but it was slowly breaking. She started breaking a sweat for the first time in her life. Then the voice started talking to her. The shield got worse and worse, so Azshara accepted the bargain out of desperation. The shield breaks, she is caught in the water but does not drown.

Azshara having any sort of say in it was entirely from the Harbingers, in the original version had Azshara under duress when she bargained and really would've accepted anything, where's Warbringers had her calmer and able to bargain a bit more.

To be honest I think I like the newer version more.
Oh yeah, Warbringers really made it an awesome scene imo.

Azshara haggled with a giant lovecraftian deity of madness. Gotta love it. N'zoth also was pretty interesting, admittedly more so when he was whispering menacingly as a fish.
11/11/2018 01:53 PMPosted by Yvenathilm
The only reason the Lowborne were Lowborne was because they lacked unusual strength, intelligence and wealth when the Highborne came into existence.

In otherwords the Lowborne were what was left over which as clearly seen was not very much: The Lowborne eventually provided their own Elites in the form of the Moon Guard and Priestesses of Elune.

The majority of Night Elves clearly were the Highborne.

What? This doesn't even make any sense. The majority of nobles and the military sided with the Kaldorei. The Priestesses of the moon were always around, Azshara just supplanted their worship, but they predated Tyrande. And Highborne turned on her, especially as things started going south. The Naga are probably the smallest splinter Night Elf group, being primarily from Zin'ashari, they've obviously grown to be the largest but nevertheless it took them a while to claim that spot. They only first appeared during the Third War, after all.
11/11/2018 01:42 PMPosted by Pellex
Maybe they lay eggs now, so instead of one or two babies at a time, they have one or two thousand.
They do in fact lay eggs now. That, combined with the fact that they are still immortal and have lived in relative peace and prosperity for 10,000 years, the Naga should be one of if not the most heavily populated species on the planet.
11/13/2018 01:13 PMPosted by Grandblade
Please, please no.

They don't also need to be biologically inclined towards evil
... they were literally twisted by the direct hand of an Old God. Why on earth wouldn't they be biologically tuned to N'Zoth FM?

You posted this on a human.

Curse. Of. Flesh.

Half of the races in this game are touched by the old gods.
You posted this on a human. Do you understand the concept of the Curse of Flesh?
... what? That's hardly the same thing. The Curse of Flesh is a physical affliction that doesn't hardwire Old God corruption into us, otherwise we'd all be serving them. The conversion from Kaldorei to Naga was a complete biological and mental overhaul, reinforced by the fact that basically every single Naga we've encountered has served the Old Gods in some capacity.

Edit: Your original post was better. Not really sure why you gave every word in Curse of Flesh a period like it was some zinger.
For reference, the Old Ones were attempting to use the curse of flesh to weaken and eventually turn the guardians to their will.

Though it’s similar in thought process to what N’zoth does to the Highborne, it’s not alike.

The Curse of Flesh ultimately failed in the act that the offspring; Humans, Gnomes, Dwarves eventually came around to beat up the Old Ones and ruin their plans further.

N’zoth learned this and took much more detailed steps to ensure the Naga/Highborne remained subservient, incidentally helped by Queen Azshara in giving them a ruler + god to worship and admire.

Think of it like Curse of Flesh was plan A and N’zoth turning the Highborne into Naga was plan B refined.
11/13/2018 08:00 PMPosted by Lëora
Think of it like Curse of Flesh was plan A and N’zoth turning the Highborne into Naga was plan B refined.
It makes sense when you have a myriad of generations of imprisonment to rewrite and refine your original blueprint.
10,000 years is more than ample for whatever population explosion you need.