Why are rewards so wonk?

General Discussion
I don't get what kind of logical thought processes are behind what Item Level what gives.

Here's another very good "what!?" moment:

So I took my hunter through the main Tiragarde Sound quests, you start in Boralus, go to Bridgeport, then stow away with Flynn, go through Freehold, then to Vigil Hill and then eventually to Proudmoore Keep.

Well, at the end of Freeport (the part where you rescue Flynn from the ring), you're rewarded Azerite Gear, Item-level 300.

That's all well and good.... but when you get to the end of the questline when you save Katherine from Priscilla, you are rewarded another piece of Azerite Gear.. but despite me being 116 now, as opposed to 110, and getting i300 when I was 115 in Freehold, I am rewarded....

What!?

I got i280 from the very first quest in Silithus when I was Lv110!

What's up with this? This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

EDIT: Did Timewalking at Lv115, and a 266 bow dropped. Did Tol Dagor at 116 and the last boss dropped a gun that was 259.

Um?
It's not that big of a deal.
You'll live.
Unless you're just bad.
11/14/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Saltzfyre
You'll live.
Unless you're just bad.

That's not the point.

The point is that higher level, later quest in the chain should equal better reward, not significantly worse.

What's the point of gaining levels and delving further in the questlines when you're going to get worse loot than what you already had?
11/14/2018 09:44 AMPosted by Hirai
11/14/2018 09:41 AMPosted by Saltzfyre
You'll live.
Unless you're just bad.

That's not the point.

The point is that higher level, later quest in the chain should equal better reward, not significantly worse.

What's the point of gaining levels and delving further in the questlines when you're going to get worse loot than what you already had?

WOW has always been like that. I have a feeling that you have been getting gear all the time you have been playing that is lower than your level at the time.

I doubt that they are going to give you a level 120 gear as a reward when you defeat a level 116 enemy. Sometimes we do get rewards that are the same or a level or two higher than we are.

But if we keep getting gear that is a higher level, then we will go thru playing WOW fast since the enemies will be less of a challenge.
Maybe Bliz should be making quests give ilevel appropriate loot.
11/14/2018 09:53 AMPosted by Burlybear

WOW has always been like that. I have a feeling that you have been getting gear all the time you have been playing that is lower than your level at the time.

I have never, in the entire time of playing WoW before BfA, gotten a *lower* item level, except for the case of warforge/titanforge, like for example I do a quest and get an Epic Upgrade, and then a couple dozen quests down the line, get another piece that didn't upgrade and remained green. Obviously that green is going to be lower I-level.

That's fine.

However, we're talking about Azerite Armor here, out of the same quest line, the piece halfway through the quest line is 20 item levels higher than the one at the end of the quest.

This doesn't make any sense whatsoever.

And if you're saying "we can't expect them to give us Lv120 gear all the time" .. well, what do you call the HoA itself? Or the 300 piece you got in Freehold? Shouldn't that piece be 280 and the one from Katherine be the 300? That would make a lot more sense.

But if we keep getting gear that is a higher level, then we will go thru playing WOW fast since the enemies will be less of a challenge.

The Azerite Gear is supposed to be more powerful than the rest of your ensemble, though, I thought?

That's the way it was designed at its core, just like the Legion Artifact Weapons were meant to be insanely OP right out of the gate.

There's a certain charm to being overpowered during the leveling phase, where you roll all over your enemies. It's fun. Now obviously when you hit max level then it should even out and things should be a challenge, and Legion got that juuuuuust right. BfA, not so much.
The way that it works (as i had to wrap my head around it as i'm twinking but i finally understand it) You have 7 pieces, 2 in each zone, and 1 from the warfront. The first 4 that you get are always gonna be 280, where as the last 3 pieces you get are 295/300..unless i read op wrong
Yeah the leveling reward system is out of whack.

Dungeon azerite blues are worse than quest gear, woot ??
11/14/2018 11:12 AMPosted by Apothecaryqt
The way that it works (as i had to wrap my head around it as i'm twinking but i finally understand it) You have 7 pieces, 2 in each zone, and 1 from the warfront. The first 4 that you get are always gonna be 280, where as the last 3 pieces you get are 295/300..unless i read op wrong

You did read wrong.

The quests in Tiragarde, if you follow the main chain goes like this:

Ashvane Foundry -> Bridgeport -> Freehold -> Vigil Hill -> Save Katherine

The end of Freehold (the quests, not the dungeon) rewards an i300 Azerite Piece.
Save Katherine rewards an i280 Azerite Piece.

..........????

This makes no sense.

What's the point of leveling to 120 when you're just going to have the same abilities you had at level 100?

This is a dangerous and scary thought road and I don't want to go alone.
11/14/2018 07:19 PMPosted by Vadya

What's the point of leveling to 120 when you're just going to have the same abilities you had at level 100?

Having the same abilities is a bit different than getting lower level items out of quests...
11/14/2018 07:23 PMPosted by Hirai
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Having the same abilities is a bit different than getting lower level items out of quests...

Here's a scarier thought. As a raid geared 120, you are less powerful and have less abilities than you did as a fresh 110 in Legion.
11/14/2018 07:19 PMPosted by Vadya

You hit 120 to see WQ's, to raise ilevel to 320 to hit warfronts to et 340 gear and 370 pieces over time. Then....the game gets better.

Yes its convoluted. Is what it is there really though. 340+ avg makes it feel better though. Just makes you not like making alts maybe is the downside.

Now if op likes this...wait till the WQ rotations start. I love my 325 azerite rewards....when I am 340 minimal. This char did lets kill the 7th rep. Pulled in tons of 325 pieces on a Z-land wall to wall clear. At least its decent gold after you sell it off.

Its the rings and trinkets new 120's will come to hate. These can take a while to ilevel up. Can take a bit to see upgrades with RNG. And if RNG is cruel it will be the same ring you have one of. You can't wear 2 of same ring. Trinkets can 't either iirc.
11/14/2018 09:53 AMPosted by Burlybear

That's not the point.

I doubt that they are going to give you a level 120 gear as a reward when you defeat a level 116 enemy. Sometimes we do get rewards that are the same or a level or two higher than we are.

and playing WOW fast harms you how?

You say it with the premise that doing something faster than you approve is somehow wrong or bad?
11/14/2018 07:32 PMPosted by Duvainil
<span class="truncated">...</span>

You hit 120 to see WQ's, to raise ilevel to 320 to hit warfronts to et 340 gear and 370 pieces over time. Then....the game gets better.

Yes its convoluted. Is what it is there really though. 340+ avg makes it feel better though. Just makes you not like making alts maybe is the downside.

Now if op likes this...wait till the WQ rotations start. I love my 325 azerite rewards....when I am 340 minimal. This char did lets kill the 7th rep. Pulled in tons of 325 pieces on a Z-land wall to wall clear. At least its decent gold after you sell it off.

Its the rings and trinkets new 120's will come to hate. These can take a while to ilevel up. Can take a bit to see upgrades with RNG. And if RNG is cruel it will be the same ring you have one of. You can't wear 2 of same ring. Trinkets can 't either iirc.

World Quests have a maximum I-level, so WQs offering 325 Azerite doesn't bother me.

And besides, I have a 345 geared character, I know what WQs and their rewards are like, and I dealt with this back in Legion.

But in Legion, I didn't go through a whole questline to be rewarded with a piece of gear 20 item-levels lower (without WF/TF) after dinging one level than I did earlier in the questline.

Nor did I Q up for a dungeon and get a drop that was worse than some quested green I was wearing. WTF is with that, anyways? Do a quest, get a green. Q up for a dungeon, get a drop, it's 5-10 item levels worse than the thing you just got from a quest.

I remember Pre-Legion... dunno about Legion so much, but back in the days when I did TBC, Wrath, Cata and Pandaria, if you got something out of a dungeon, it easily beat anything quested of the same level by like 10-15 item levels.

I can't fathom getting something ~10 item levels lower from a dungeon than I just got from a quest and I ain't even talking Azerite Gear. I remember the first dungeon I did... Rezan dropped a ring for my Tauren Paladin. It was literally 10 item levels worse than a ring she got from a random solo quest. I was like "whaaaat!?", I mean, the quested ring did not WF or TF even. Just a green ring from a quest.