Why does blizzard love rng?

General Discussion
Everything is so random.

Random gear drops.

Random titan forges.

Random traits.

Random procs.

Even in hearthstone is RNG fest with all their cards which is why i stopped playing it.
10/08/2018 05:54 AMPosted by Kîlljøy

Random gear drops.

Random titan forges.

Random traits.

randomized rewards = slot machine effect, heres an interesting article about it. =p

https://newrepublic.com/article/115838/gambling-addiction-why-are-slot-machines-so-addictive
Randomness creates peaks and valleys in the experience, yet tends to normalize over time. Blizz has built in safeguards to prevent outlier experiences - e.g. BLP.

If the drop rate is 15%, you may get nothing on a run, you may get 70% on a run, but if you do the run enough, collectively your drop rate will approach 15%.

10/08/2018 05:59 AMPosted by Gangsta
https://newrepublic.com/article/115838/gambling-addiction-why-are-slot-machines-so-addictive

Did you even read that article? There are almost no parallels here to wow. At times, its in direct conflict:

There are three reasons why: Playing on slot machine is solitary, rapid, and continuous. You don’t have interruptions like you would in a live poker game, waiting for cards to be dealt or waiting for the other players.
it's call game design. Fairly standard stuff.
I believe they love controlling the pace of your gearing. I don't believe it is RNG.
Because someone up high has a gambling addiction?
Linear progression with a set end point won't keep people grinding away as much as random luck completion.
10/08/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Daladoren
Linear progression with a set end point won't keep people grinding away as much as random luck completion.
Well people aren't grinding, their quitting, so that backfired...
10/08/2018 06:12 AMPosted by Daladoren

I think past WoW would disagree with that. Actually I think modern wow would disagree with that as well.
the lootbox effect is powerful
10/08/2018 05:54 AMPosted by Kîlljøy
Even in hearthstone is RNG fest with all their cards which is why i stopped playing it.

If there was no RNG in HS.. then it will be all about netdecks + who goes first and who top decks better.

Has to be some RNG to make it harder and fun.
It's how it starts, they turn everything into rng and then when people least expect it you'll start seeing items in the store. These items will "increase" your chance to get various things, like drops from bosses in dungeons/raids and so on. I can't remember the name of the f2p mmo that had something like that, it's probably very typical in Asia.

Once it happens you'll be so happy and thankful that activision gave you the "player choice" to buy rng chance increase items in the store. Because everything was fine before that /rolls eyes.
Back in the day you knew what pieces were available and farmed them, for people who played obsessively they would reach the end of their gearing advancement before new content was designed. The chance for a large titanforge means outdated gear is still potentially relevant.

I do think they are playing to the slot machine effect, the rewards system is basically a training schedule as it is now.
Because that is the nature of MMOs. They don't function like traditional RPGs like the Final Fantasy series sans XI & XIV. If you were guaranteed to kill Boss X and get Loot Y there'd be no incentive to keep raiding the content. Everyone is one-and-done.
I missed it when the only RNG thing I had to worry about with my BiS was it dropping.
10/08/2018 06:15 AMPosted by Oriðn
the lootbox effect is powerful

There is not really a lootbox effect with wow. To get the skinner box effect into play there can't be a question as to whether or not there's a reward.

The fact that there's a chance for a boss not to drop something is all the evidence you need against these armchair psychology herrings.
10/08/2018 06:51 AMPosted by Sinkasumi
I missed it when the only RNG thing I had to worry about with my BiS was it dropping.

They want you to keep playing that's why. If you got your bis you would play your character less.

That paragon trinket of Antorous?? yeah pretty much a testing ground for PL, incredibly successful
Because it is the same thing like gambling honestly. Same reward receptors firing off and they know that can motivate consistent play. You keep the chance low to keep the addict plugging coins in the machine. Except when you finally win you don't have coins spitting out at you, you just have the gear you were after.
I'm the opposite. I've found myself less and less interested in playing since WF/TF became a thing. I liked being able to plan out my gear and knowing what I still needed/wanted.
10/08/2018 07:20 AMPosted by Sighmean
I'm the opposite. I've found myself less and less interested in playing since WF/TF became a thing. I liked being able to plan out my gear and knowing what I still needed/wanted.

You can still plan out your gear.