Professions need to be reworked

General Discussion
I play since Vanilla, and this expansion appears to be the one that introduced the least amount of usefulness to professions.

Jewelcrafting was less and less useful, I was a Jewelcrafter since it was introduced in Burning Crusade, and the amount of new content for it in this expansion is, in the least, subpar, specially with the continual reduction of the amount of sockets on gear, players seem to be lucky to get a single slot nowadays, and there is also no option to craft relevant gear with it, neck slot is occupied by the Heart of Azerite, and rings are at maximum 310.

There should be, at least, be an option to craft 355 or 370 rings with Sanguicells, I also miss the blacksmith consumable that was used to add sockets to gear, maybe that could be revisited, would add more relevance to both blacksmith and Jewelcrafting.

And Jewelcrafting is not alone on this, all the other professions are clearly lacking content, the availability and usefulness, with the exception of Alchemy and sometimes, emphasis on sometimes, Inscription

Engineering just got a handful of new belt attachments and consumable that almost no-one needs, as almost everyone already has the transmogrification mount, the only thing that can maybe generate some profit on the profession is the new mount from Motherlode, which required being extremely lucky to get, and after that a ton of farming in order to be able to build one, which is not enough to make the profession relevant, the main reason I still use engineering and several of my friends as well is the goblin glider, and that was introduced in Pandaria! 3 expansions ago!

Enchanting has weapon enchants back, but that is at the expense of neck enchants no longer available, cloak enchants were also removed, the utility of the profession overall is extremely limited, I mean, bracer enchant to speed up hearthstone? like, seriously?

Blacksmith, Tailor and Leatherworking are the only ones that can craft gear of ilevel 370 and 385, for only 2 slots, and these items are BOP for no reason at all, yes, no reason at all, because you need weeks of farming to be able to be able to craft one of the items, and by the time you do so, it may even no longer be even needed based on your luck with RNG on weekly chest or M Uldir content.

I miss the crafting system of Warlords of Draenor, that was perfect, being able to craft all slots, but only able to equip 3 at a time, and being able to upgrade the items over the entire expansion, that meant you could replace your gear if you got an upgrade for the slot you had a item equipped, because the upgrade system professions continued to be relevant for most of the expansion, and also being able to reroll the stats of those gears with consumables crafted from the same professions that crafted the item.

I wish we got back to that system, even if it meant having to use daily cooldowns to produce crafting materials.

I also miss having the option to enchant and gem most of your gear, that gave players flexibility to adjust their gear.

I have a few suggestions to make the professions more relevant, like:

*Engineer should be able to craft consumable structures, like a portable scrapper, but for disenchant items into dust/shards, and also for mass prospecting of ore for Jewelcrafters.

*Jewelcrafter should be able to create a consumable to place a socket on the cloak and/or belt, so you're guaranteed to have at least one or two sockets available.

*The 370 and 385 equipment from blacksmith, leatherworking and tailor should be BOE, and there should be more slots available, not limited to only 2 per profession.

*Add sanguicell options for other professions, like rings for Jewelcrafting, guns for Engineer and staffs for Inscription

*Add base 340 ilevel BOE for most slots across all professions that use Hydrocores, as Hydrocores are borderline useless at the moment.

*Add new enchants slots for enchanting in order to give more stat flexibility to players, let us be able to enchant cloaks again, and Shoulders/Leg enchants that use hydrocore to be made, also add variants of the current and maybe even new enchants that require Sanguicell to be crafted as well.

This is a aspect of the game that I truly enjoyed, and having it like this, borderline abandoned with no prospect of being addressed is sad, really sad, I don't want just a quick patch fix that reduces the crafting cost of flasks, all professions, ALL PROFESSIONS have severe issues, like, my guildies only use tailor and blacksmith nowadays to craft bracers over and over to scrap in order to obtain expulsom, and I'm sorry, but that is ridiculous, with so many complains of lack of content on the current expansion, why keep professions abandoned like this? It does not make sense, at all.
Agreed, WoD definitely had the best and most useful professions, besides gathering of course. You could actually make gold selling gear and gear upgrades throughout the expansion. Now you can craft stuff that is only useful in the first week of the xpac and some bop items that you make once. Crafting needs to go back to WoD style, in usefulness at least.
well if they put in player housing like I've been saying profession would also become valuable. Making furniture and other items to decorate your house would make them relevant again
10/13/2018 11:55 PMPosted by Sindrelara
well if they put in player housing like I've been saying profession would also become valuable. Making furniture and other items to decorate your house would make them relevant again

Lets focus on having the existing professions fixed up then we can talk about new ones...
Some iterations of Azerite armor should be able to be crafted by professions.
At this point, i just think the devs do not like the professions and want them to just be time wasters for the most part.
WoW professions have never been very strong, but they had there moments, and it feels more like they have just come into odds to how they want to design the game.

Its bad, but i think this is the explanation for them at least in recent times.
Engineering needs a total overhaul. Reduce cooldowns on the new belt gadgets, combine all teleporters to one. Give us a new goggle MOG. Make certain items reusable. Update the motorcycle and flying machine models etc. This profession is supposed to be for people who want more fun that profit, get creative!
unfinished professions are the prime indicator Bfa was rushed and unfinished.
Yes, Battle for Professions is in full swing. We are losing.
the writing was on the wall when they took away profession perks (sockets for blacksmiths, stamina for mining, and that healing thing for herbalism)
Again, with so many complaints that the game is lacking content, improving all professions would be a way, even if not very significant, to address that
10/14/2018 05:01 AMPosted by Walayimuna
Again, with so many complaints that the game is lacking content, improving all professions would be a way, even if not very significant, to address that

Sorry, miss read since i am tired >.<

But it stands, is any other MMO failing so hard at this aspect of gameplay. Its just so sad to see :(
Another thing that is bothering me about professions, and considerably so, is the fact that, on top of having very few new options, it is almost impossible to get some of the recipes to rank 3, I never skipped a world quest since launch, and months after that I still have 2 cooking recipes that are not rank 3, because the quest that would give the recipe for those has never available... Instead I got several repeated cooking world quests.

Same thing goes for other professions, my inscription is still missing a recipe, and engineering is still missing 3, again, without missing a single world quest since launch.

That is the case with every single guild member of my guild, if I browse their professions, all of them, no exceptions, are missing a couple rank 3 recipes that are world quest rewards.

Honestly? this is false content, you delay the way to obtain these on purpose, The impression I have is that instead of creating new content you drag low quality content for months, and this kind of attitude is both not new, you have done it since there were recipes rewarded from world quests on legion, and it bothers us.

This kind of attitude needs to stop.
10/13/2018 11:51 PMPosted by Faung
Agreed, WoD definitely had the best and most useful professions, besides gathering of course. You could actually make gold selling gear and gear upgrades throughout the expansion. Now you can craft stuff that is only useful in the first week of the xpac and some bop items that you make once. Crafting needs to go back to WoD style, in usefulness at least.

You can make good gold selling gear this expansion. WoD was not an expansion I actually enjoyed in terms of crafting - you don't make two completely useless, i.e. herbing and mining and then give everyone else access to the basics for the rest regardless of whether they have that profession or not and be a good system.

The only thing that expansion did right in terms of professions is the 91+ gear and the restriction to 3 slots. That restrictions resulted in a lot of complaints though and why we got legion.
10/15/2018 06:01 AMPosted by Walayimuna
Another thing that is bothering me about professions, and considerably so, is the fact that, on top of having very few new options, it is almost impossible to get some of the recipes to rank 3, I never skipped a world quest since launch, and months after that I still have 2 cooking recipes that are not rank 3, because the quest that would give the recipe for those has never available... Instead I got several repeated cooking world quests.

Same thing goes for other professions, my inscription is still missing a recipe, and engineering is still missing 3, again, without missing a single world quest since launch.

That is the case with every single guild member of my guild, if I browse their professions, all of them, no exceptions, are missing a couple rank 3 recipes that are world quest rewards.

Honestly? this is false content, you delay the way to obtain these on purpose, The impression I have is that instead of creating new content you drag low quality content for months, and this kind of attitude is both not new, you have done it since there were recipes rewarded from world quests on legion, and it bothers us.

This kind of attitude needs to stop.

You missed a WQ with cooking because I am only missing one.

Could become useful, not necessarily would. I hate to be a downer on this, but you would likely get a chance for that epic chair pattern to drop in a raid and then have to farm rare mats for the next 9 months to make one.

At the end the expansion we would all be hanging at some rando's house because he has one and we have to sit on the floor anywhere else.

The Devs are not exactly known for being creative or generous with this kind of stuff. ...even though professions could add so much to the game.

Whelp, there it is. The dumbest thing I'll read all day.
The one thing I hate are the rare BoP mats like Expolsum. My gathering alts have absolutely 0 use for these materials yet they can end up with them. Let me send them to my crafting chars.

The Stat Roulette gambling needs to go too. If they don't want to make a pattern for each combination, either got back to the old model where a pattern had set stats or all patterns have no secondary stats (but can proc for Warforged/Titanforge/Socket/Tertiary stats maybe) and then make consumables that grant a certain amount of of a secondary stat that gets used on it like an enchanting scroll. First one puts maybe like 55-67% of one stat and the second puts on the remainder. Once used that's it and only one state type can be used.
10/15/2018 06:08 AMPosted by Amine
10/13/2018 11:51 PMPosted by Faung

You can make good gold selling gear this expansion. WoD was not an expansion I actually enjoyed in terms of crafting - you don't make two completely useless, i.e. herbing and mining and then give everyone else access to the basics for the rest regardless of whether they have that profession or not and be a good system.

The only thing that expansion did right in terms of professions is the 91+ gear and the restriction to 3 slots. That restrictions resulted in a lot of complaints though and why we got legion.

It is not about making gold, that is not the issue, every expansion has their own ways of making gold.

To me, it is about having both the possibility of getting optimal stats for the gear I need, and also the versatility of having another upgrade ready once I replace the crafted gear one, the only people I know that complained about WoD crafting system are the ones that were lazy and didn't want to spend time or money to craft their own stuff, so they were jealous of the ones who did.

Also, herbalism and mining were useless not because of professions, but because of the garrison, no garrison no more, so that will not be an issue
10/14/2018 12:14 AMPosted by Masiela
the writing was on the wall when they took away profession perks (sockets for blacksmiths, stamina for mining, and that healing thing for herbalism)

Those perks made alts less viable in the main adventuring and dragon-killing portion of the game unless they had them. Personally I enjoy being able to raid with alts without having to worry about choosing professions for all of them.

It seems like the TLDR of OP’s post is that he/she wishes that there were more craftable items that made numbers go up, making professions more lucrative. I agree that more recipes would be nice, but I’m honestly glad they got away from the “stat boost for every slot“ mentality, as it was expensive to maintain and didn’t really add anything fun to the main adventuring part of the game.

If they were going to add more recipes, i’d like to see more cosmetic and fun things. That way crafters could make more money without being a drag on enjoyment of the core game.