ugh...boring warlock

Warlock
Prev 1 4 5 6
I´m in love with Demonology, yo should try it
I love the lore surrounding Life Tap, which is that warlocks deal in life energy to fuel their magicks, and in theory it is a great concept. However, in practice it falls very short, and it's not even an issue with the spell itself, it's an issue with the class design.

When it was first implemented, all classes would run out of mana on a sustained fight, which is why a number of classes had a way of getting a mana boost. Druids had Innervate, Mages had Evocation (?), and Warlocks had Life Tap.

Some time during late Wrath or early Cata (I can't remember quite when), Blizzard, decided that casters shouldn't have a constant mana issue and a QoL decision was made to transition into an increased mana pool. Spirit and MP5 were removed from the game. Blizzard obviously felt that Life Tap was too much of an iconic spell to remove completely so Warlocks got shafted in that they still had to rely on a mechanic from an older design philosophy.

Even then, however, up until Cata, Life Tap was widely regarded as a spell that a.) Could easily kill a warlock and b.) Simply transferred the mana expense to the healer, which was arguably worse for everyone. Not many players that I knew of actually appreciated Life Tap as anything other than a gimmicky spell to suicide quicker. (Hello, Hellfire, we miss you!) This *did* make it easier to get into Scholomance if you didn't have a key... until they fixed it so that you couldn't get past the door while dead, but didn't have much else in the way of purpose.

In Cata they attempted to revitalize Life Tap a little via the glyph system, which would turn the up-front damage into either a DoT debuff or a anti-healing shield (I can't quite remember which at this point). That made it more interesting as a mechanic simply due to the side effects, and arguably made it much more situation dependent.

Then you had WoD, and Legion. Glyphs were removed, and (in feel at least) our spells took a *lot* of mana. At that point Life Tap simply felt like a disruption to the rotation with no real reward other than to keep being able to DPS like every other class.

In true Blizzard fashion, rather than actually do anything to fix the spell, they simply removed it from the game, to the applause from majority of the warlock player-base. It didn't have to be that way, but there it is.

I personally feel like it could have been tweaked and reworked. Certainly the implementation in WoD and Legion were the most awful it's been since I started playing demo back in early BC.

I would have loved to see it be much more of a risk reward spell closer to its initial design. Maybe something like 50% health for 100% mana recharge. But Blizzard would have to actually balance the mana costs of our kit so that you didn't run out of mana every 10 seconds (yes, this was a thing at the end of Legion and I don't miss it one bit), and make other classes manage their mana for it to actually feel like a good spell again.

Nowadays, if you want your Life Tap fix, go play Gul'dan in Heroes of the Storm. In that game, where (at least in early match) mana is still an issue for everyone, being able to Life Tap feels very powerful.
10/31/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Falanoria
Life Tap simply felt like a disruption to the rotation with no real reward other than to keep being able to DPS like every other class.

This is what boggles my mind about players who are actually nostalgic over that trash spell. Life Tap became a burden to us the minute that mana management became irrelevant to all other DPS casters.

It was an ugly, jarring halt to our dps rotation in WoD and Legion. Glad its gone.
10/31/2018 09:51 AMPosted by Falanoria
Not many players that I knew of actually appreciated Life Tap as anything other than a gimmicky spell to suicide quicker. (Hello, Hellfire, we miss you!) This *did* make it easier to get into Scholomance if you didn't have a key... until they fixed it so that you couldn't get past the door while dead, but didn't have much else in the way of purpose.

I actually love stuff like this. My raid group used a lifetapping warlock (me) as a heal target for our pally tank to generate healing aggro on the murloc adds in the Tidewalker fight. This was its most practical use.
PVE warlocks dont need lifetap as much as PVP warlocks do.
Fix game pls blizz

Also make Polymorph cost 10% mana instead of 4% lezBfairnow
10/31/2018 05:04 PMPosted by Lildmac
PVE warlocks dont need lifetap as much as PVP warlocks do.
Fix game pls blizz

Also make Polymorph cost 10% mana instead of 4% lezBfairnow
It wasnt a 'need' thing, it was an "i love this spec" thing.
Now I dont.
Which sucks hairy rump.

There is no 'management' to those shards.
To call it 'managing', as some have, is a joke.
just make sure that you fire off a Drain Soul last split second of every kill. A five year old could do it, and boom. youre at 5 shards 100% of the time. booring.
Id like Life Tap back please.
Life Tap was widely regarded as a spell that a.) Could easily kill a warlock and b.) Simply transferred the mana expense to the healer, which was arguably worse for everyone.

I guess that makes sense.
I think Id have an understanding with the healer that they dont heal me unless there is literally no one else to heal.
I wish it was available for PvE play, at least.
But yeah, with your explanation I can see why it needed to go for raiding.
Reading this brings back memories of farming mobs with the only option left was to drain life and pucker up.

It always seemed like there was like 5 or 6 mobs pounding on you, your void is long gone, no mana, no more health stones, the soulstone just expired, less than 1% health left ------pushing to that very edge of how many mobs can I pull and not die

good memories.

I think Blizzard tried like hell to bring back the rot dot niche of affliction specialization in BFA. There is alittle bit of rot playstyle, but at the same time they missed the ball by a long shot. The talent tree just is not quite right. It is that just not quite right that makes the affliction spec this time around a real bummer. It could have easily been a great tree. I am wondering if the designer even plays an affliction lock. There is just some common sense stuff that should be in the tree that is not.