Saturday morning cartoons

General Discussion
Prev 1 3 4 5
Has everyone forgotten Dangermouse?
I watched Robot Wars on Saturdays. I know it's not a Cartoon, but it's what I watched on Saturday Mornings.
10/30/2018 10:44 PMPosted by Annastasi

Nope, and I haven't forgotten Mighty Mouse either. Or Atom Ant, Penelope Pitstop, Secret Squirrel, Tiny Toons, Animaniacs, Wildcats, The Mighty Ducks.
While I remember a lot of one off cartoons that came out each year since 1983 (I was 3), it was the cheesy Donkey Kong cartoon that same year that stuck with me throughout the rest of the 80s. It was the first videogame I ever played in the arcade and its breakfast cereal was a delicious and superior buttery version of Captain Crunch (including a berries version that my mom loved and always bought).

I also had that terrible Atari 2600 version of Donkey Kong until I got the superior Donkey Kong Classics in late 1988.

I could go on about the other good and cheesy 80s cartoons/etc but I decided to just focus on one of my favorites (I have many other I vastly prefer like Ghostbusters, TMNT, Dinosaucers, She-Ra, He-Man, Muppet Babies, etc).
Mine was Mighty Mouse, the rebooted one which was controversial.

It was actually pretty clever.

The story goes that one time he smells a flower or something, so these groups got upset saying it was supposed to be a "poppy" or something and he was getting high.

Ah, actually found it... whoah 1988? I'm old. So I was ... 21 at the time.
I still remember watching that.

Mighty Mouse Flying High On Flowers?

By CRAIG WOLFFJULY 26, 1988
About the Archive

This is a digitized version of an article from The Times’s print archive, before the start of online publication in 1996.

All is not quiet on the cloud where Mighty Mouse lives. Someone got to him - something Oil Can Harry, The Cow and all his adversaries could never do.

Yesterday, after resisting for months, the producer Ralph Bakshi agreed to cut 3 1/2 seconds from one of Mighty Mouse's TV episodes on CBS, run again last Saturday, in order to end the talk that, hush hush, Mighty Mouse was using !@#$%^-. (EDIT: the censored part was the "drug" derivative powered form from poppies.)

The gossip began after Mighty Mouse was seen by a family in Kentucky sniffing petals from a flower when the episode was broadcast last December.

The family interpreted his action as *!@#$%^(EDIT: again, that drug) sniffing and phoned the American Family Association in Tupelo, Miss. It started a campaign to have that scene deleted. ''We can't have the implication that it's O.K. to use drugs,'' said Allen Wildmon, its associate director. ''They call it crushed petals, but it looked like a powdery white substance to me.'' 'It's Because of Fritz'

This was, of course, ridiculous.
Basically, he just flies by and smells a flower. I think I actually remember this.

More importantly, a kid would have never thought it was a drug reference anyway (nor would it suddenly start them doing that drug, even if they did.)

Ah, more from the wikipedia. The Internet is neat!

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mighty_Mouse:_The_New_Adventures

Bakshi defended the episode, saying, "I despise drugs. I would be out of my mind to show a cartoon character snorting !@#$%^- in a cartoon,"[15] and stating that Wildmon had interpreted the scene out of context.[16] "Mighty Mouse was happy after smelling the flowers because it helped him remember the little girl who sold it to him fondly.

Though evidently it was not canceled specifically for that, it did not last long after. The wikipedia on it is interesting, for the other people involved.
Oh gosh, yes. My favorite Saturday cartoon was just, YES.

Gargoyles is my all time favorite cartoon, but it got its start as an afternoon cartoon. It didn't go to Saturdays until "The Goliath Chronicles", which were much lower in quality.

Most obscure cartoon I loved: Wildfire. If anyone here even knows what that is, I'll be shocked.
Remembered a few more, Bravestarr, Iron Man, Sky commander, Visionaries.

https://www.imdb.com/list/ls002615341/ found a list.
my Saturday cartoon mornings were from 1979-1985. Menudo was one of the reasons i tuned in. Schoolhouse Rock was another favorite

by 1985 i had moved overseas where there were Saturday morning kid's shows, but they were more akin to YCDTOTV or Sesame Street and not broadcast in English
10/30/2018 07:40 PMPosted by Crocuta
while i appreciate your enthusiasm for a crossover, you're giving me horrible flashbacks to that mesmerizing-ly bad pitch video from toon makers for a hybrid live-action/animated sailor moon rework back when the dubbing rights were first being fought over

Having the Sailor Guardians and their friends use the original Anime's artstyle and character designs would smooth things over. The Toon Makers' pitch had terrible art! The Original Anime's artstyle is much better!

If meshing live action with Anime-esque art is still too much then the adaptors can cut out the Live Action(although it would make Lord Zedd look ridiculous since his most terrifying feature was being live action)!
She-Ra and Transformers.. then GI Joe and Rainbow Brite!
Samurai Pizza Cats, Duck Tails, Darkwing Duck, Two Stupid Dogs....I'm noticing a pattern for anthropomorphic animals.

Might explain the number of Pandaren I play.
10/31/2018 12:34 AMPosted by Yvenathilm
10/30/2018 07:40 PMPosted by Crocuta
while i appreciate your enthusiasm for a crossover, you're giving me horrible flashbacks to that mesmerizing-ly bad pitch video from toon makers for a hybrid live-action/animated sailor moon rework back when the dubbing rights were first being fought over

Having the Sailor Guardians and their friends use the original Anime's artstyle and character designs would smooth things over. The Toon Makers' pitch had terrible art! The Original Anime's artstyle is much better!

i'm with you on the toon maker's pitch looking like hot garbage. it's a thing of great beauty and terror and i would pay a million dollars to see the pilot, but it's still hot garbage.
Bailey's Comets. US of Archie. Kroft Supershow.

That was on in the evening for me!
Does anyone remember the old Saturday morning cartoons that were designed to sell Post breakfast cereals?

Linus the Lionhearted, the Alphabits Postman, (now enormously politically incorrect) Post Rice Krinkles. I can't remember them all, but I think it was a good two or three hours of cartoons.
I don't watch morning cartoons anymore and I wonder if the writing is as rich as the earlier ones.

Last time I looked, the Saturday morning cartoons had gone completely extinct on broadcast channels. It was nothing but infomercials, and maybe some news.

Edit: just checked. News shows, infomercials, and reality TV.
Smurfs and snorks
Two of my favorite Saturday morning cartoons were Smurfs and the Littles.

10/30/2018 04:13 PMPosted by Ralanbék
Transformers!!

Don't recall that being on Saturday mornings if we are talking G1. Doesn't matter cause I loved the show along with GI: Joe.

On a darker note with regards to Transformers, GI: Joe and many other cartoons during that era. Little did I know 8 year old me was watching 25+ minute long ads directed at me and an entire generation. Luckily rules have changed but still doesn't change that a bunch of large corporations preyed on children with the aid of our government. End rant. :)

Nope! But when I watched it it was on Nick at Nite.

For me it was Pee Wee's Playhouse. I would cry if I missed it.
It was Digimon, for the longest time. Always Digimon.