It's so hard to choose...

Classic Discussion
Don't forget your fadeleafs and swiftthistles too
I'm just going to create one of every class initially and then roll some dice I have from my D&D days to pick who to start with. That way I have names and characters ready for everything I want. Not like there's going to be an expansion hitting that will ruin the experience down the line.
11/07/2018 01:13 AMPosted by Impact
I do not even know why this a question to be honest.

Warrior is the class in Vanilla. Best dps class. Only raid tank. Overall best pvp class in a group setting.

You dont have to spec Prot to tank regular instances. This isnt even remotely true. Sure it's easier on the healer, but very doable.

You have to get the gear, but all good investments take time.

Unless you just want to be a Rogue...

Only downside for Warriors this time is there are going to be a !@#$ ton of them. You are certainly going to have to tank if you want consistent groups.

this, warriors at end game are the only tank and beat rogues (and every class) on dps and pvp. Only things rogues have over warriors is stealth and lockpicking.
11/06/2018 11:56 PMPosted by Rongente
You cant go wrong with Warrior it is arguably the strongest PvE DPS class, best tank and best battleground PvP class.
Rogue has advantage in open world PvP versus most classes, but on the other hand you wont have too much problems with rogues in 1v1 scenarios as a warrior especially if you go Orc.

Shaman is the slowest to level up to 60 - probably one of the reason shaman was the least played class in vanilla and warrior was one of most represented due to its strengths.

Look at this guy trying to increase the tank numbers. Bravo! I hope it works. LF tank!
11/07/2018 01:13 AMPosted by Impact
I do not even know why this a question to be honest.

Warrior is the class in Vanilla. Best dps class. Only raid tank. Overall best pvp class in a group setting.

You dont have to spec Prot to tank regular instances. This isnt even remotely true. Sure it's easier on the healer, but very doable.

You have to get the gear, but all good investments take time.

Unless you just want to be a Rogue...

Only downside for Warriors this time is there are going to be a !@#$ ton of them. You are certainly going to have to tank if you want consistent groups.

It's a question for the OP because for so many players, maximum performance potential is not a major factor in choosing a class. Life is very different as a rogue, class quests and fantasy are very different. Some might find the game play of the warrior to not be engaging and perhaps prefer sneaking around dungeons, opening lock boxes, pick pocketing and whatnot.
Rog is the better solo world pvp class, by a mile.

Hemo Rog with engineering is one of the best (the best?) dueling specs in the game, if you have the proper gear and know how to play. It's possible to beat similarly geared warriors a good % of the time.

War is only a beast in group pvp if you have dedicated healing.

Fury warriors on private servers are likely overtuned; they did do top-tier damage on some fights in vanilla raids, but their performance on p servers is probably better than what you can expect in Classic.
11/07/2018 01:05 AMPosted by Espur
11/07/2018 12:58 AMPosted by Aranhod
WARNING: DO NOT DO THIS

You can tank dungeons while leveling just fine with other specs, while going deep into protection pre-60 will dramatically reduce your kill speed to the point where rubbing your eyeballs with sandpaper sounds like more fun than doing another kill quest.

You're gonna want to be Protection by the time you hit 60 if you want to tank dungeons. That's what my point was. It may have been worded poorly, but the, "slap a shield on" was meant to imply a DPS-specced Warrior during leveling.

ya.. nope

you dont need to be prot at all for anything below raids

throw on a shield, go defensive stance, and you are fine.
If you like them both, go warrior first. Rogues are going to be EVERYWHERE in the first few months. Then competition for spots is going to annoy them and they'll reroll. You, the tank, wont be competing for spots.
I mained a rogue in vanilla. In BGs once youve used your cooldowns, you're going to be a free kill. The five minute rogue is a thing. One v one, or just ganking, no problems. But you dont get to necessarily pick your fights in 15 v 15. If a frost mage or warlock catches you without your cds unstealthed, all you can do is kinda sit there and wait for the snare/cc to wear off and get ready for the 30 second res timer.

Oh, and heres how its going down: Youre going to be daggers for a while. Then around level 30 and Scarlet monastery drop/quest item (found in desolace) youre probably going to dual wield swords and go combat for some versatility. Then youre going to discover Seal fate, bringing you back to daggers. And SF prep is going to plague you at end game when all the best gear is gated behind raiding (or an absurd afkpalooza in av if youre up for the HWL grind), so you're going to go 15.AR.5 (or 12.ar.8), but basically your job is now standing behind bosses waiting for energy ticks to backstab and snd with an ar now and again (or if youre sneaky, padding on trash with ar/bf).

Its not that fun. You'll be indispensable for sure, but it still kinda sucks. And keep in mind, if you go that route, you're s.o.l on farming. Not many mobs appreciate your important positioning requirements.
So you get to choose whether to play the far easier dual swords with the gimp on overall dps and sit out the raid in team 2 because the combat dagger rogue nicked your spot, or you get crap done in the world and in dungeons where it matters a little bit less.

Basically, people who want to main rogues dont realise quite yet (some do, obviously, but many dont), how restrictive and boring they can actually be.

But if you dont care, and just want that tasty burst, then a 5 point cb/evisc with sf/prep is one of the most fun specs you can play in vanilla. It just kinda sucked in raids is all.

oh yeah, dirty secret: In arathi highlands near stormgarde keep (i think its on the left hand side - on the outside), is a cave that leads to a cove. In that cove is a sunken boat. And in that boat is a treasure chest (or near it, i forget). In that chest is a mace. That mace kills the person who equips it.

You might think this is a stupid weapon. But if you have a weapon swap macro, the bleed effect pulls you out of hunter traps. Re-equip normal weapons and go to town on that annoying hunter.
Man oh man, a lot of people are siding with the warrior. Grouping for me isn't going to be an issue as I have a few rl friends that will play and heading into classic will be GM'ing a hardcore prog. guild. My off days are going to be strictly pvp/farming for mats for raid days and idk... I think I am leaning towards warrior at this point but still so much to be desired by being a rogue. This is maddening haha >.<
If everyone plays as a rogue and warrior then who's going to heal and provide buffs and spell resistances?
Flip a coin. Twice.
11/07/2018 02:35 AMPosted by Crumbs
Don't underestimate the power of stealth with all the terrible closely grouped questing mobs lol. Also lock picking! Also ninja gathering lmao >.>

Stealth is vastly over-rated in Vanilla Wow. You have to spec for it to be any good, and even then it doesn't take much for mobs to see you. For PvP there's the Human's Perception and Hunter Flares you need to watch out for, along with other classes spamming cheap low level aoe spells to blow your Stealth. Still, if you can catch them unwary, it's good.
I played both rogue (undead) and warrior (ne) at level 60 and in end game raiding up to bwl. Rogue is a finesse class. The weakest of all classes. In bgs, you'll sometimes feel worthless as you're either ganking with ambush on targets basically already dead, or fumbling to get enough combo points up to do a high evisc. Generally, in premades (which you'll probably be doing) rogue just doesn't shine when you compare to what a warrior can do in premades.

Pve, rogue wins the dps race but warrior will probably have an easier time getting a raid spot as an off tank.

Rogue is slow and finesse. Without cooldowns, your rogue is extremely weak against competent players. Sword spec arms warrior can make things disappear so screw cooldowns, just hope for procs.

With all this said, go rogue. Playing rogue at a high level is an art form.