Has WoW lost it's identity to corporate greed?

General Discussion
11/07/2018 07:41 AMPosted by Smadinker
11/07/2018 07:04 AMPosted by Clysta
Its honestly hard to say 100% with Activision surely calling shots in the background

It's about time we stop blaming Activision for all the bad choices made by Blizzard. Give credit where credit is due.

Well, to be fair, blame goes to both companies:
- Activision instructs Blizzard to make more money
- Blizzard compromises quality here and there to facilitate corporate mandate
- we lose (just ask Diablo fans)
11/07/2018 07:44 AMPosted by Meshuggah

You do realize this is a game right?
If you're equating wow to a sweatshop you need to step back... take a deep breath...

If you're just playing this game for gold I don't know what to tell you.....

Gold is part of the game. Nice disingenuous argument, though... but I'm sure you'll immediately log onto the game and give all of your gold away, and never will make any again simply to prove me wrong. Go for it.

Na I am a greedy bastard.. . Between my four bank alts. If I wanted to although because I'm a greedy bastard I won't spend the money on it... maybe it was a tad smaller but I can buy the auction house mount three times if I wanted to...
11/07/2018 07:39 AMPosted by Doomclan
While it's a bit off-topic, from what I've seen, the bulk of the backlash around Diablo Mobile wasn't that it was a mobile spin-off, but rather that Blizz hyped up Diablo prior to BlizzCon, leading fans to expect something big, only to showcase the mobile spin-off, and ONLY the mobile spin-off. I doubt the backlash would've been nearly as big as it's been if they had done what Bethesda did with both Fallout Shelter and Elder Scrolls Mobile, where they announced the actual next title in their respective series immidiately after.

Yea, while I hate mobile games and the horrible practices they represent, the game itself isn't worrying... it's par for the course for better or worse. Its that they didn't anticipate it and why that bothers me. I'm sure anyone of us could have predicted what would have happened if we were in on that meeting of what they were announcing.
It's a game, so of course the companies behind it are interested in making money. That's just a given.

But I do agree that, as of late, the incentive to make money far outweighs the quality of gaming.
11/07/2018 07:43 AMPosted by Ponykisses

it actually doesn't work like that, corporate greed gets you stars wars battlefront 2 as it was on launch and then your publisher leaves you to clean up the mess left in its wake.

Na, that was a development problem and not corporate greed problem the game sucked

No, those microtransactions were 100% EA corporate greed and once everything blew up they just washed their hands of it and left DICE to clean up the mess EA made. The results in game now clearly show DICE didn't choose to make the game
where everything is run by microtransactions
The last few years all I hear is "PC gaming is dying, mobile games are where it's at", over and over and over. They told me two PCs ago to get a laptop, was onlyh a matter of time before the desktop was obsolete. Next PC it was be prepared to switch to mobile, PCs are dead and laptops will be soon. "Oh, you play PC games? LOL - get with the program, mobile devices are where it's at."

I get disappointment at Blizzcon. Honestly, I do, and if I was a Diablo fan I'd be disappointed too. My phone is a $13 flip phone, and in spite of all the nails being hammered into PC's coffin I don't intend to start playing games on anything other than a bulky, unrepentantly non-portable desktop PC until my last PC no longer works and I walk into Best Buy and they literally do not have a PC to replace it.

But the levels of outrage and hand-wringing and carrying on - it's too much. You people really need your heads examined, you really do. Get help.
I just want to say YES it appears so ..

this xpac is tiny and yet more expansive than ever before ..

and the game is badly broken with apparently all the programmers off doing something else …

I think I might go play a different MMO again as this one is messed up in a big way..

Every day there are quests for the great daily grind THAT can't be completed right now I am stuck on Sister Adrianna on one and for the last 3 days it has been going on ..
AND YET don't bother to give the players the ability to instance hop to complete which would make sense as it is probably the instances causing much of this.
Everything eventually does. We are, after all, mere boot-makers to kings.
No
11/07/2018 07:09 AMPosted by Ponykisses
People act like this is something new

For Blizzard, this is something new.

I remember when I was in high school and hearing about their decision to try to make a shooter genre game.

The game was called StarCraft Ghost. Available on Gamecube, xbox and PS2.

A shooter based in/off of the starcraft universe?!?!?! :O :D

After they spent years of time and MILLIONS of dollars in R&D, they eventually canceled the game. The reason (according to Rob Pardo, one of the lead developers at Blizzard Entertainment)? They "were not able to execute [the game] at the level we wanted to"

Later (2014) in an interview with Polygon, Then Blizzard President Mike Morhaime said, "...It was hard when we canceled StarCraft: Ghost, but it has always resulted in better-quality work."

Can you imagine this company doing something like this now? I sure can't :(
11/07/2018 08:31 AMPosted by Ajora
11/07/2018 07:09 AMPosted by Ponykisses
People act like this is something new

For Blizzard, this is something new.

I remember when I was in high school and hearing about their decision to try to make a shooter genre game.

The game was called StarCraft Ghost. Available on Gamecube, xbox and PS2.

A shooter based in/off of the starcraft universe?!?!?! :O :D

After they spent years of time and MILLIONS of dollars in R&D, they eventually canceled the game. The reason (according to Rob Pardo, one of the lead developers at Blizzard Entertainment)? They "were not able to execute [the game] at the level we wanted to"

Later (2014) in an interview with Polygon, Then Blizzard President Mike Morhaime said, "...It was hard when we canceled StarCraft: Ghost, but it has always resulted in better-quality work."

Can you imagine this company doing something like this now? I sure can't :(

I remember that game and I loved the idea of it ..

I loved the idea of MMO Starcraft too .. NOW NOT so much ..

Not sure what is happening at blizzard but XPACs cost more and we still pay a sun BUT it feels like I am playing a free to play game (or worse many of those FTP or transaction games give you more for nothing)..

I think it bothers mem most as Blizzard used to be such a good brand
11/07/2018 07:26 AMPosted by Mvura
11/07/2018 06:56 AMPosted by Hellglaive
Theres an old saying, Quality over Quantity However the Diablo Immortal announcement at Blizzcon left me feeling uncomfortable.

In what way does mobile equal low quality? How absurd.

Seriously?
Has WoW lost it's identity to corporate greed?

Or has corporate greed lost its identity to WoW?
I'm quite happy to be a champion at this point.

You can't keep doing remarkable feats over and over again, and remain nameless. I honestly prefer when people actually mention the crap I've been through, or at least acknowledge I'm not grunt #123235 who just happens to actually be able to do something.

I dunno why people enjoy being nameless nobodies in RPGs.

Though, Besides that.. the idea of blizzard losing it's identity feels accurate.
WoW is still the casual MMO, so no it hasn't lost its identity.

Bad decisions have been made, but that has more to do with completely changing the game on multiple levels every expansion.
I have to wonder, am I the only one here who knows about the Michael Kern Tweets? I'm really surprised there aren't threads popping up all over the place about them.

Google: Diablo 2 producer says Blizzard doesn't understand gamers any more.

He says what we've all been saying all along.
My answer would be heck yes something is lost. They had a completely out of touch Blizzcon that really didnt have much to say and the biggest topic was a mobile game nobody wanted. Its ridiculously obvious now how disconnected they are from the players and the passion they used to have. I also think they are so disconnected that they still dont really understand why people are so upset, so instead of doing the right thing they continue to dig in and keep doing what they are doing which only upsets people more. There are definitely individuals in Blizzard that care and have passion for what they do, but the company as a whole is losing its way, and the influence of Activation probably is making them lose their identity over time, though none of us really know for certain how much Activision really affects what Blizzard is doing.
As far as I can tell Blizz built its success on taking something that was trending in the gaming industry, making it more accessible, adding a bit of polish, and marketing the crap out of it.

At least as far as WoW goes, there is very little that is innovative or unique, even at the time it was launched. It was just a more polished & accessible version of what other people were doing.

If mobile is where the market is going its actually completely in character for them to try to jump on the trends others are having success with and try to make money off them. Its what they have always done - on PCs, on consoles... why would mobile be any different?

I get fans of IPs they are using to break into the space might feel betrayed or something, but its actually what Blizz has always done.
Yes. Happens to them all sooner or later.
Key people slowly get moved around and replaced and before you know it Marketing is running everything and making all of the product decisions.
At this point, I think the anecdotal evidence points to the time it takes for a corporate acquisition or merger to completely erase the original vision for the company being roughly 7 to 10 years.
We could argue about particular cases, but as a ballpark, I think it’s close enough to be useful.
The lesson being; don’t get too attached to someone else’s Intellectual Property.