Why do players want censorship and bans for other players?

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13 Next
i remember back in the old worldofwarcraft.com forums

*sip* those were the good old days

now we have folks who get wayyyy too upset about pixels on a screen. i will admit that blizzard does have editorial permissions here on their site, but i would challenge those that say the same for the social media giants. WoW is a paid service and you need a subscription to post on these boards; it is not a de facto public square and thus is not subject to the first amendment. the others, i think there is a strong case to be said that the first amendment does apply.
11/07/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Vixie
11/07/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Valên
This is NOT a troll post. I honestly dont understand the people who go into a post, report it and hope the poster gets a ban. It just makes no sense to me.

I am 100% against ANY form of censorship. Everytime it has been tried, it never stands the test of time. From churches trying to ban books, to the Washington wives trying to ban music (seriously - look at the artists on the filthy 15 and the songs that were tried to ban back in the day) to censoring anyone who disagrees with you today.

Are the censors just trolls? Do they realize censorship leads is fasicsm and are ok with that?

I just dont get it.

This is Blizzard's private website. You get to post here with your sub and by agreeing to follow the rules here. Remember clicking OK when you first came here? If you can't follow the rules, you will get action'd.

Readers here do not tolerate blatant rule violations because we do our best to follow them ourselves. Of course it's stifling when you have to dig through your vocabulary for an alternate word than what would pop out normally. >_<

We're here with those stipulations in mind. If you don't like it, go elsewhere to spew your profanity, hate-rage, racial slurs and behavior unfit for social interaction.

Behave.

'' Of course it's stifling when you have to dig through your vocabulary for an alternate word than what would pop out normally''

This, in particular... Political correctness at it's best: the 'N' word is offensive, so let use an equivalent term that everybody know have the exact same meaning as the 'N' word, but without using it.... I'll never understand why people do this. It's so useless. do you really not know what I am saying if I type F*** instead of --censored--?

Censorship doesn't silence the conversation. it merely move it elsewhere while giving more ammunition to the censored people. Censorship doesn't work.
11/07/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Wally
in general i think people want to be more important then they actually are.

most people live average lives, and i think most people want to be better than average. I also think its why facebook and twitter etc are so huge. it gives people a place to get attention. To feel more important then they actually are.

Ever see someone taking a picture of their lunch.

to answer your question, if they can succeed in putting someone else down, it makes them a little better than them

I just came back from a week-long "time-out" and this /\. Oh so this /\.
11/08/2018 11:48 AMPosted by Vloorg
Censorship doesn't silence the conversation. it merely move it elsewhere while giving more ammunition to the censored people. Censorship doesn't work.

So when they move Classic Realm threads to the Classic forums.. is that censorship? It's literally moving it elsewhere while giving them more ammunition.

.. but dang, I do appreciate when the mods do that.
Simple question here: when did treating others with basic respect and civility become censorship? I seem to see this assertion in these kinds of discussions often.

As long as I can remember that's been a basic tenet about how to treat others. Now, if someone gets called to the mat on their offensive behavior, that's not censorship. That's simply the consequences for said behavior. Even more so when the appropriate behavior for access to a venue has been agreed upon beforehand, such as WoW.

Because not all rights or beliefs are equal, nor are they all absolute. And not all behavior is appropriate for all venues.
11/08/2018 11:56 AMPosted by Torghen
Simple question here: when did treating others with basic respect and civility become censorship? I seem to see this assertion in these kinds of discussions often.

As long as I can remember that's been a basic tenet about how to treat others. Now, if someone gets called to the mat on their offensive behavior, that's not censorship. That's simply the consequences for said behavior. Even more so when the appropriate behavior for access to a venue has been agreed upon beforehand, such as WoW.

Because not all rights or beliefs are equal, nor are they all absolute. And not all behavior is appropriate for all venues.

I really havent seen ANYONE On here saying treating others with respect is censorship. I havent seen ANYONE argue I can say anything I want and you cant do anything about it. That is a Reductio ad absurdum argument.

No one is arguing people shouldn't be polite and nice to each other. I guarantee I can look at the history of anyone who posted in this thread and find a reason to be offended by something they said if I wanted to. I can choose to be easily offended or chose to not let ignorant people ruin my day.

People do report others on here for disagreements; not just rude or impolite behavior.Not because of a person being a jerk, just because "I don't like what you said and I want to punish you!"
11/08/2018 05:00 AMPosted by Eonan
11/08/2018 04:43 AMPosted by Elae
People want to censor others because often people get so boxed into their ideological narrative, that they think anyone that disagrees with their way of thinking must be evil...

Me on the other hand, people can come up to me with any controversial topic and make their argument, and I'm bound to see both sides of an argument equally as valid.

The claim of earth being flat on the back of a turtle isn't equivalency. Its not grounddd in reality. Saying all sides are equal is just wrong and delusional and why we can't have reasoned discussions about a make believe world where characters live on the back of a turtle. >_<

Why people report OP, because that's the feedback system we have. Those who want to be fair leave it up to the mods to take action if there is a rule violation. Those who want to troll will use the same system because for them team ball wins for them are always a win, Especially if their behavior is worse and they can get away with it.

If you're old, you know this already. So claiming in your initial post isn't a troll sounds like a blue comic complaining about their virgin ears. :-)

Is this reality? How can we be so sure what's actually real when we don't actually directly see the world but electrical signals are interpreted by our brains and translated into images and so on?

How can you prove beyond any reasonable doubt that these electrical signals my brain is interpreting about the "real" world actually is the world outside?
11/08/2018 01:45 PMPosted by Elae
How can you prove beyond any reasonable doubt that these electrical signals my brain is interpreting about the "real" world actually is the world outside?

Really.

Would you like the fast version or the slow version answer?
Because this is a video game, not your soapbox. Most people are playing it for fun and entertainment and if you're being a jerk to a lot of people, you should not be welcome. It's the same if you're out in public at some place people are just trying to relax and enjoy themselves. If you just start going up to people and start yelling at them and insulting them, you're going to be asked to leave. It's not "censorship", you're dealing with the consequences of your actions. You choose to be a jerk, people choose to not want to deal with you anymore.
11/08/2018 12:07 PMPosted by Valên
People do report others on here for disagreements; not just rude or impolite behavior.Not because of a person being a jerk, just because "I don't like what you said and I want to punish you!"

It's extremely rare that I report anyone, but even when I do, it's not on the basis you've expressed here.

Most of the time, I try to let people know that what they're doing is against the rules, and if they persist in doing it or escalate the degree to which they're doing it, then and only then would I report them.

I would prefer a forum in which asking someone to treat other members of the community with courtesy would be enough -- but it isn't in a lot of cases. For those cases, yeah, I'll submit a report.
11/08/2018 12:07 PMPosted by Valên

Disagreement =/= bad behavior
Unpopular opinion =/= bad behavior

"How you go about doing it can be considered as bad behavior"

Understand the difference
Because Americans love to talk about free speech, yet are the most overly sensitive and defensive people when it comes to hearing the truth and other viewpoints.

I used to love watching American idol where that Brit would tell them the truth and they would just crumble. Their whole life they were fed overly positive nonsense, and told how great they were, only to be told the truth that they actually sucked.
11/07/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Valên
I fully understand first amendment and that it only applies to government so I am not arguing on those grounds.

I also understand its Blizzards website and they can do what they want. I dont agree that corporations should be the end all be all replacement for churchs in the 20th century.

I dont spew nasty things out. I dont feel the need to personally insult other players. I do however see a lot of insults go out and nothing gets done because the opinion is popular.

It just struck me as odd when reading another's post someone jumped into only say you are reported and I hope you get permabanned.

My question is why would PLAYERS go out of their way to attack other players because of something that was said?

I am old. When I was growing up, if someone said something to you that got to you, you lost. You didnt run and tattle to a teacher, you developed your chops to argue and win. Your argument was based on its own merit, not getting some supposed authority to come in an fight for you.

I guess I am just too old to understand these new ways. I dont want people I disagree with banned. I dont want any censorship . If I cant prove my point and win, I lost the argument.

Like I said in the original post, everytime there has been a kind of censorship in the past, it always looks poorly 10 years down the road.

Bullying was accepted as a part of growing up in "the good ol' days"

Being gay was frowned upon as a poor life choice in "the good ol' days"

Beating kids with wooden spoons, belts or whatever else was at hand was considered fit punishment in "the good ol' days"
11/09/2018 03:46 AMPosted by Altargirl
11/07/2018 12:24 PMPosted by Valên
I fully understand first amendment and that it only applies to government so I am not arguing on those grounds.

I also understand its Blizzards website and they can do what they want. I dont agree that corporations should be the end all be all replacement for churchs in the 20th century.

I dont spew nasty things out. I dont feel the need to personally insult other players. I do however see a lot of insults go out and nothing gets done because the opinion is popular.

It just struck me as odd when reading another's post someone jumped into only say you are reported and I hope you get permabanned.

My question is why would PLAYERS go out of their way to attack other players because of something that was said?

I am old. When I was growing up, if someone said something to you that got to you, you lost. You didnt run and tattle to a teacher, you developed your chops to argue and win. Your argument was based on its own merit, not getting some supposed authority to come in an fight for you.

I guess I am just too old to understand these new ways. I dont want people I disagree with banned. I dont want any censorship . If I cant prove my point and win, I lost the argument.

Like I said in the original post, everytime there has been a kind of censorship in the past, it always looks poorly 10 years down the road.

Beating kids with wooden spoons, belts or whatever else was at hand was considered fit punishment in "the good ol' days"

Still worked better than what we are doing today. I hated all of the items you listed (and yes I "suffered" them all) but it made us strong enough to survive the other things that happened to us.
11/09/2018 05:33 AMPosted by Valên
11/09/2018 03:46 AMPosted by Altargirl

Still worked better than what we are doing today. I hated all of the items you listed (and yes I "suffered" them all) but it made us strong enough to survive the other things that happened to us.

Time to take off the rose coloured glasses friend
11/09/2018 05:43 AMPosted by Altargirl
<span class="truncated">...</span>

Time to take off the rose coloured glasses friend

Um I just see the things myself and people I grew up around did vs what many of the younger people I see are doing today. I am a survivor, and have always been. I dont wish the bad stuff on anyone else, but it DOES make you strong willed enough to succeed despite the odds.

I do believe adversity builds character. I also believe a mind needs challenges or it gets weak, just like a body does.
11/08/2018 11:45 AMPosted by Valên
I disagreed when censorship was a right wing thing than and disagree now that its a left wing thing.
You seriously don't know what you're talking about?

Which "wing" sensors the teaching of same-... attraction in schools? Which "wing" sensors the teaching of religion in schools?

The answer? Both sides. On both sides, there are groups that want to censor views that they feel are contradictory or harmful to children.

You're out of your mind that you think censorship is most one-sided.

Stop listening to whatever news site you're listening to as your only source of information and opinion and actually use your brain.

This is my last reply to you. You're just spewing nonsense. In the end, this game and forum is for a game - a game that is run by a company - so there's business decisions involved. There is better business in creating a safe environment away from toxic words and phrases than just letting every nutball type out whatever pops into their head.

Sorry you can't seem to understand that, but makes sense since you have some weird idea of the current history in the United States.
11/09/2018 06:19 AMPosted by Släshcry
I disagreed when censorship was a right wing thing than and disagree now that its a left wing thing.
You seriously don't know what you're talking about?

Which "wing" sensors the teaching of same-... attraction in schools? Which "wing" sensors the teaching of religion in schools?

The answer? Both sides. On both sides, there are groups that want to censor views that they feel are contradictory or harmful to children.

Stop listening to whatever news site you're listening to as your only source of information and opinion and actually use your brain.

This is my last reply to you. You're just spewing nonsense. In the end, this game and forum is for a game - a game that is run by a company - so there's business decisions involved. There is better business in creating a safe environment away from toxic words and phrases than just letting every nutball type out whatever pops into their head.

Sorry you can't seem to understand that, but makes sense since you have some weird idea of the current history in the United States.

Dude - this is why we cant have nice things. I actually went out of my way to say BOTH sides censor. The reason I cited past vs today is because those are the pop culture version of who censors. Both sides say its the other side yet both do it. We ARE in agreement on this

You seem very angry claiming I said something you disagree with, yet we are both in agreement. This is why I ask "Why do people want to ban others?" Most of the time its a snap judgement and a misunderstanding yet everyone goes on about how everyone on these boards just spew hate.

The funny thing is, I see you as spewing hate against me for holding the exact same opinion that you do, simply because you dont understand that I agree with you.

And yet in your opinion, I am the one spewing hate?
11/09/2018 06:31 AMPosted by Valên
<span class="truncated">...</span>You seriously don't know what you're talking about?

Dude - this is why we cant have nice things. I actually went out of my way to say BOTH sides censor. The reason I cited past vs today is because those are the pop culture version of who censors. Both sides say its the other side yet both do it. We ARE in agreement on this

You seem very angry claiming I said something you disagree with, yet we are both in agreement. This is why I ask "Why do people want to ban others?" Most of the time its a snap judgement and a misunderstanding yet everyone goes on about how everyone on these boards just spew hate.

The funny thing is, I see you as spewing hate against me for holding the exact same opinion that you do, simply because you dont understand that I agree with you.

And yet in your opinion, I am the one spewing hate?
You got me - I'll respond one last time...

You don't relay your thoughts clearly.

You clearly said:
The key word is "was", which implies an activity or state of being that is no longer true.

If someone says "I was in the United States", while standing in the United States, then they are not correct.

So when you said "was a right-wing thing" implies censorship is no longer a right-wing thing. I believe many leftists would disagree and bring up key points of where leftists feel rightists are still censoring specific subjects.

So try to communicate more accurately and maybe I'll agree with you - because you and I are not on the same side now, unless you agree that what you're saying is not actually accurate.

In fact, every post I've quoted from you and made a rebuttal on is because I disagree wholeheartedly with the message you're saying.

At best, it's because you don't know how to convey your message. At worst, you're trying to pivot and deflect like we are on the same side.

I believe in censorship in certain environments. You say you don't. So clearly we don't agree.
11/07/2018 01:28 PMPosted by Älexandra
because there's a disturbingly authoritarian streak in the younger generation in the last few years.

authoritarian and corporatist, too. a really dangerous combination.

This is opinion not a statistical fact. Voting patterns show starting with GenX through Boomers and the greatest gen (who are dying out) are the ones voting for the authoritarian/corporatist and I will throw in theocratic type politicians ( less so with gen xers about a 50/50 split).