Why do players want censorship and bans for other players?

General Discussion
Prev 1 11 12 13
11/08/2018 04:32 AMPosted by Valên
this has been a very interesting thread, There are a few tings i would like to point out that I see in many of the responses that do not align with my original post.

1- I stated this is not a troll post because I very specifically wanted to state I take this topic seriously. It is not designed to elicit an emotional response. The topic is intended for debate.

2 - I never said I wanted to break Blizzards Terms on the forums.

3 - I never spoke about in game comments.

4 - i never spoke in favor or against any specific type of speech. I never promoted hate speech or speech directed against any individual

5 - I never spoke of spamming

6 - I specifically stated this is NOT a first Amendment issue.

7 - i never spoke against Blizzard's rights to ban or delete comments.

I could go on and on about what I didnt say that was included as reasons in responses to my comments, but I will stop here. Its like a lot of the comments were responding to a different question than I had asked.

My question was why PLAYERS feel they need to report other people. I am not saying they may not have a valid reason to do it, just why do they do it?

The best answer I can see from the responses so far is that a LOT of the community must be a lawful alignment (using D&D terms). Lawful means that the rules are the rules and everyone must follow them. I will force you to follow the rules because its for the greater good. Very similar to Xe'ra forcing Illidan. (Which I am actually ok with)

This kinda shocked me as most of the time the D&D alignment question comes up on the forums, most respond they are Chaotic- meaning rules are to be broken. I tend to be neutral with lawful tendencies ( I personally follow the rules but I dont feel the need to force others to follow my belief system).

I see things on here every day I find offensive and could very easily report a large portion of the posts I read. I just don't feel the need to.

I am ok with different opinions.
I am ok with with things I personally find offensive but others don't.
I can disagree with you 100% but still believe you have a right to have your opinion heard.
If Blizzard wants to mod the forums that's fine, but I am not gonna be the guy running to them pointing out who they should go after.

I don't need to report other people's posts but I hate spam and I hate people acting like children and spamming threads in order to try and get the game change to how they want.

These people can be heard, they don't need to make 100 threads as a form of protest and try to drown out other issues in order to get their way.
The simple reason OP is that everyone wants to be God, King of the Universe and wants absolutely power over others, as what you can control can't hurt you.
11/07/2018 12:56 PMPosted by Hamstar
SILENCE!

I KILL YOU!!!
Not going to read through all 13 pages but basically forums like this rely on posters reporting violations to properly moderate and function.
Reporting spam posts, trolling, racism and bigotry among other things is not censorship in this setting any more than someone choosing to avoid you irl for being a bad person is.

Sure you have the extremist mentality in some people here but most people are open to discussing things relevant to WoW even if opinions differ.

You can argue all you want about censorship, sjw's, leftists, snowflakes or whatever but at the end of the day this is a privately owned forum and you agreed to follow it's rules when you post here.
11/13/2018 09:54 PMPosted by Drkenypowers
No self-respecting conservative man would report another player for "trolling" or "abusive language"

Almost forget to mention right-wing nutjobs as well.
11/13/2018 10:09 PMPosted by Mokrawr

You can argue all you want about censorship, sjw's, leftists, snowflakes or whatever but at the end of the day this is a privately owned forum and you agreed to follow it's rules when you post here.
'

I don't think anyone is saying they don't have the legal right to do whatever they want with their property.

I do think that choosing to enforce rules with obvious extreme political bias is a contemptible decision.

Your reasoning, incidentally, is stage 1 kholbergian, wherein power justifies what's right and what's wrong.
11/07/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Valên
I just dont get it.
Except you do get it. This is the third or fourth thread on perceived censorship you have started this week. All with the clear intention of being argumentative.

Equating a Private Business keeping a game forum on topic about games with book burning is just silly. All it does is highlight how much you actually do understand that you are trolling.

Please stop.
I'm old like you op. It's never been cool to be a loudmouth around a bunch of strangers. Sure, you can have some good debates with friends and family but to quote my bartender: "No politics or religion on the premises."

People snidley calling others that report them "snowflakes" that need a "safe space" crack me up. Nut up and realize that we don't care what you believe , or care to share what our beliefs are, and enter kind of debate with you. We just want you to !@#$ and play WoW. Or you can run your bazoo and we can show you the door via the reporting system.
It always comes back to fear and control OP. People fear what they can't control, if they know they don't have any direct control they will seek out a higher power to exercise that control for them.

In this case they fear ideas or viewpoints that would challenge their own worldview. This is something hardwired into everyones brain, we really can't help it. I consider myself pretty open minded but I wasn't always this way. I grew up in a hyper conservative christian household and everything was black and white for me. It wasn't until my mid to late 20's that I really started questioning the things I had been taught.

Even now I still struggle when I am confronted with an idea that I had drilled into my head an an early age is problematic. Now take that same mindset and apply it to millions of players who each have their own narrow world view and a good majority haven't had 20 years to work it out. Couple that with a culture that is changing faster than evolution was ever meant to keep up with and you just have an impossible situation.

So in all this chaos people seek some sort of order, if they can't have it in their own lives they can get it vicariously by imposing what they see as order on others. And thus we have the situation we have today where two groups of people endlessly talk past each other. One side cries free speech and the other cries private business. Meanwhile neither acknowledges that no one likes !@#$%^-s or is saying that people should be allowed to just spam the N word endlessly. Both sides just assume the worst of the other instead of trying to reach a middle ground.

That is the problem with just about every single political issue we have today, no one is interested in anything except total and complete victory. There is no middle ground anymore, it isn't about the issue or what is best for the country or the world. It is about control, having it and taking it away from others. Because without control there is fear and we circle back to the beginning, fear is the primal motivator for most human actions. Until we can conquer fear we will keep dancing this same dance endlessly.
Welcome to 2017 where words mean nothing. Censorship is when my video game doesnt let me say whatever I want in public channels.
11/07/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Valên
I am 100% against ANY form of censorship.

Are you saying you don't like it when someone puts you on ignore?

Well that's too bad isn't it?
11/07/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Aarschott
2. The First Amendment only applies to the government, not to private entities.
At what point did the OP say anything about the first amendment?
11/14/2018 02:37 AMPosted by Teelo
11/07/2018 12:12 PMPosted by Aarschott
2. The First Amendment only applies to the government, not to private entities.
At what point did the OP say anything about the first amendment?

In his second post, on Page 1 of this thread. Have you read it?
11/08/2018 02:46 AMPosted by Amine
11/08/2018 02:33 AMPosted by Jelybeantoes
People like looking at pictures of other people's food. It's really that simple.

This is doubtful.

Clearly you are not the target demographic.