Why do players want censorship and bans for other players?

General Discussion
Prev 1 5 6 7 13 Next
11/07/2018 08:22 PMPosted by Mirkwood
Have you not been paying attention to our society for the last 1 to 2 years? SJWs cry about everything and want to make sure that no one that has a different opinion than them can speak that opinion so that they can have their safe spaces and echo chambers. Its truly sad that society has come to this and that companies bend the knee to whiny over entitled brats.
I'm far from sensitive and an SJW. I'm just not interested in your unfunny Pepe memes.
11/07/2018 08:22 PMPosted by Mirkwood
Have you not been paying attention to our society for the last 1 to 2 years? SJWs cry about everything and want to make sure that no one that has a different opinion than them can speak that opinion so that they can have their safe spaces and echo chambers. Its truly sad that society has come to this and that companies bend the knee to whiny over entitled brats.

Actually I have been paying attention. I see people waving the victim card and claiming some imaginary bugaboo called "SWJ's" is violating their rights by refusing to permit them to bully and stalk unhindered.

If your "different opinion" means you fancy yourself a stormtrooper who should be free to take vengeance against all you see as weaklings unworthy of existing, you are the problem. You are the "whiny over-entitled brats" of this society.
11/07/2018 06:28 PMPosted by Dartt
Look at the number of achievement points and the number of posts a person has. The more posts they have than achievement points the more dubious I would be of what they say.
Oh I like this! That makes me fairly believable and not at all to blame for the toxicity! Yay! (I knew both of those things already.)
11/07/2018 12:00 PMPosted by Valên
This is NOT a troll post. I honestly dont understand the people who go into a post, report it and hope the poster gets a ban. It just makes no sense to me.

I am 100% against ANY form of censorship. Everytime it has been tried, it never stands the test of time. From churches trying to ban books, to the Washington wives trying to ban music (seriously - look at the artists on the filthy 15 and the songs that were tried to ban back in the day) to censoring anyone who disagrees with you today.

Are the censors just trolls? Do they realize censorship leads is fasicsm and are ok with that?

I just dont get it.

Because it's 2018 and everyone's a victim.
11/07/2018 12:23 PMPosted by Jubearlee
I am 100% against ANY form of censorship.

A bunch of people telling you to "shut up" isn't censorship.

The mods coming in and telling you to "shut up" by virtue of deleting your thread isn't "censorship".

Those people were saying something, the majority of people here said, "shut up", and then they were removed.

There really isn't some plague of overzealous mods locking threads and banning innocent bystanders. This is pointless worrying to stoke flames of conflict and conflict.

That's actually exactly what censorship is. You just happen to like censorship.
It's 2018, everyone is offended by everything.
Sounds like those who don't understand that this is not a free frontier where you can go an and spew hate, harassment, and trolling and be a "disruptive" member of the community should have listened to the blizzcon panel called play nice,play fair.
It's probably on youtube by now.
Go watch and and find out why people are reporting and why you can't do and say whatever you want, it not and has never been Blizz's policy to allow it.
Here found it for you.. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7uNKxDScUg0

BTW adhering to the rules and expecting others to is not censorship. This is Blizzes house and they don't come into your front room and start harassing your family or say whatever you want.. You can't in theirs either.
11/07/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Vixie
This is NOT a troll post. I honestly dont understand the people who go into a post, report it and hope the poster gets a ban. It just makes no sense to me.

I am 100% against ANY form of censorship. Everytime it has been tried, it never stands the test of time. From churches trying to ban books, to the Washington wives trying to ban music (seriously - look at the artists on the filthy 15 and the songs that were tried to ban back in the day) to censoring anyone who disagrees with you today.

Are the censors just trolls? Do they realize censorship leads is fasicsm and are ok with that?

I just dont get it.

This is Blizzard's private website. You get to post here with your sub and by agreeing to follow the rules here. Remember clicking OK when you first came here? If you can't follow the rules, you will get action'd.

Readers here do not tolerate blatant rule violations because we do our best to follow them ourselves. Of course it's stifling when you have to dig through your vocabulary for an alternate word than what would pop out normally. >_<

We're here with those stipulations in mind. If you don't like it, go elsewhere to spew your profanity, hate-rage, racial slurs and behavior unfit for social interaction.

Behave.

I curse in Wookie.....RRRWWWWWRRRAAAA RRWWAAAWWRRRR RRRROOOLLLRRWWAAA.

What did I say, no clue, I speak it, I don't understand it lol
Lol if you think this forum is bad, try heading over to Customer Service.
The little nublets there pick apart everyone they can, are sanctimonious and try their best to entice trolling.

There is no free speech in WOW, or the forums. Any speech can result in silence/ squelch/ ban for any reason. Enough princesses reporting/ right clicking and the automated bots take over regardless.

I just dont get it.

Because the (((Goblins))) don't like us having freedom of speech.
I've never seen the point of being offended by verbal or text interactions but that just could be thick skin. Any time someone rages at me for under-performing in WoW I just imagine some guy with a fedora and laugh out loud.
Because people can't ignore their ego long enough to just ignore certain players/posts, even worse when its content creators.
You can't silence ppl for having an opinion, the same ppl who complain about censorship are always trying to silence others as in "Shut up""Don't talk" , "Don't say anything"

Bwahahaha
I guess it was a slow day at 4chan.
11/08/2018 12:19 AMPosted by Trînnî
Lol if you think this forum is bad, try heading over to Customer Service.
The little nublets there pick apart everyone they can, are sanctimonious and try their best to entice trolling.
Before the downvote button was removed, that forum was by far the absolute worst at misusing it. I would rather put in a ticket and wait 24 hours or even ask here before I ask for help with something CS-related over there.
11/07/2018 07:00 PMPosted by Monrith
A Teamfortress 2 server community I'm a admin for tried lifting a no-racism rule sometime ago. People complained about censorship and feeling it was a unnecessary rule so we got rid of it. The general idea was to just mute people you disliked.

The second day the rule was gone there were people in the servers playing insanely racist music, doing racist sing alongs, spamming the N bomb and all sorts of other activities.

It drove off a good deal of people from the server and caused player population to decline

[/quote]

The bit about "having to be intolerant of intolerance to keep a civil society" came up in a discussion (radio or magazine article, can't recall now) about moderating comments on forums and comments sections. Turns out if you let people run rampant, you're left with nothing but trolls and truly horrible people.

Funny how that works.
11/07/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Vixie
This is Blizzard's private website. You get to post here with your sub and by agreeing to follow the rules here. Remember clicking OK when you first came here? If you can't follow the rules, you will get action'd.

Readers here do not tolerate blatant rule violations because we do our best to follow them ourselves. Of course it's stifling when you have to dig through your vocabulary for an alternate word than what would pop out normally. >_<

We're here with those stipulations in mind. If you don't like it, go elsewhere to spew your profanity, hate-rage, racial slurs and behavior unfit for social interaction.

Behave.
And sometimes the stupid is so strong it really is necessary to tell someone to shut the hell up. Since we can't effect that ourselves, Blizzard has given us the "Report" feature.
11/07/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Wally
Ever see someone taking a picture of their lunch.

I hate to get off topic but can somebody please explain why so many people post pictures of their dinner on facebook. This is a phenomena related to social media only. In the day of polaroids nobody ever showed me picture of what they had for dinner. We had digital cameras before social media and still nobody ever showed me a picture of what they ate.

That said I did see one dinner that was worthy of a picture. Someone I know had an octopus for dinner in Las Vegas.

Edited for bad grammar.

I just dont get it.

So if I report someone for making 5 duplicates threads that leads to fascism - how can that happen ? How about people just don't spam stuff as a form of temper tantrum instead ?
11/07/2018 12:05 PMPosted by Wally
in general i think people want to be more important then they actually are.

most people live average lives, and i think most people want to be better than average. I also think its why facebook and twitter etc are so huge. it gives people a place to get attention. To feel more important then they actually are.

Ever see someone taking a picture of their lunch.

to answer your question, if they can succeed in putting someone else down, it makes them a little better than them

You nailed it. I think your answer can also be applied to the kinds of folks who get so angsted over forum avatar levels.