World Quests Are Ruining The Open World

General Discussion
11/07/2018 11:17 PMPosted by Syradea
I'd just like to see something added ontop of WQs for people who want to invest time to get ahead, or be there for someone with nothing else to do.

Exactly. World quests ARE repetitive, so I believe they really need to add something else ontop of world quests. Even if it's little, at least i'll have something else productive to invest my time in. - For someone like me with almost all of my reps exalted, world quests almost become irrelevant. Then i'm stuck in Boralus, watching people transmog and looking at the island expedition table from a distance with a sad face.
11/07/2018 11:18 PMPosted by Aderyn
11/07/2018 10:13 PMPosted by Graz
Heelsvsbabyface talked about this in one of his videos

Stopped reading right there.

He has some good points every so often. He's just so...full of raw energy when he makes a vid. Not a bad thing when he has a good point to make. Otherwise he looks like your average forum post here recently. Lots of anger, 0 sense. I like him though. The genuine care for the game he talks about is there.
11/07/2018 10:20 PMPosted by Lorash
Literally the only reason I leave the city is to go do WQs for emissaries or to go to a raid or dungeon so idk how they're ruining the open world. They do a lot more to keep the open world relevant than the old daily hubs did. If you think they're not fun that's totally different but meh, dailies have always been a chore. Some are fun, some I avoid at all costs. I like getting to choose what dailies I want to do for an emissary.

I think for myself I liked that Dailies had a definitive end, it felt like there was long term end goal to aim towards. There really just is a lack of stuff like that in WoW. I think unless you are like doing progression raiding then there is this huge lack of long term goals.
11/07/2018 11:14 PMPosted by Lightwood
11/07/2018 11:08 PMPosted by Maveesa
People wouldn't even go out into the world to begin with if not for World Quests or Dailies. Its just how MMOs work, people aren't interested in just hanging out in zones doing nothing.
Either you were not around, or you don't remember massive battles for Halaa. Or Tarren Mill vs Southshore, that didn't require you to queue for a lagfest of a brawl. Rep grinds are awful and have always been around in some form or another, but at least the old way required people to go to certain places on their own time, which meant there was always someone in the main zones. This new way is 'spend 10 minutes of mindless mob-dodging ohgodimdazedagain travel, 30 seconds completing quest, flight whistle out'. RIP vibrant, living open world.

I wasn't on PvP servers back in Vanilla. On PvE servers though the only people hanging around those areas were lowbie levelers.

I get for Warmode, maybe there would be some reason to go out into the world. But I'm not seeing a reason for PvE players.
WQs give people a reason to go out. And there's always something for doing them. Far more than the rep grind of dailies. Plus if I want I can do more than just what's needed for an emissary.
I have nothing against the concept of world quests. But in BfA they are just demonstrably worse in every way than in Legion. They take longer, are more boring, minimal rep and insignificant rewards.

There have been reps you got with tabards in the past. But there were many different ways to get rep, unique to different factions.

We have lost that, now it's all boring 75 rep world quests only.
I wasn't on PvP servers back in Vanilla. On PvE servers though the only people hanging around those areas were lowbie levelers.

I get maybe for Warmode, maybe there would be some reason to go out into the world. But I'm not seeing a reason for PvE players.
That's a fair point. In the Halaa example I mentioned, sometimes the rewards were worth the annoyance of PVP flagging. The main thing I'm getting at is places like Halaa and Wintergrasp make the PVP danger element worth the reward of getting mats for a great craftable (which assumes there actually are great craftables and don't even get me started there).

This expac literally hefts crateloads of random gear at you a rate of knots. Where is the sense of achievement? There is just... nothing. Nothing.
11/07/2018 11:06 PMPosted by Graz
11/07/2018 10:53 PMPosted by Farrar
Dailies send you to specific places every time, and they’re tedious, and they’re boring. You never see anything new. It’s a chore.

So are world quests. I agree that it is nice to see certain parts of the zone, with certain threats, but that isn't what this is about.
I'm saying that World Quests shouldn't be the only content in the open world, like it literally is the only content. (Unless you haven't completed the short war campaign).
And back then with dailies, we usually had to group up more than we do with world quests now.

So, then World Quests aren't ruining WoW. You just want more to do. That's fair, but doesn't really mesh with your original topic. World Quests make the open world worth traveling. I mean, what literally else can they do besides quests?
Legions world quest system and rewards worked fine.

They took it and threw it out the window in favour of M plus, raids and pvp.

This is the WOD model again, where all the gear etc is in instances and outer world is "unimportant"

I am just amazed that in doing so they did away with FISHING quests.

All the gear from WQ, gone. No Margoss or Fisher Friends equivalent. Majority of wq drop, you guessed it, azerite or war resources. Thats bad for one reason: after you finish you have nothing in your hands or bags to show for it, you have no TANGIBLE rewards for doing them.

"Oh WOOOT I got 30 cloth and some monelite my tailor and BS can use those, excellent"

vs

"I got more azerite. Big deal"

The daily emissary chests used to drop craft mats. Gone. No gear, no herbs, no mats, no craft gear, no minerals, no cloth, no fish, no cooking mats, you can only get expulsom from scrapping instead of being able to get it from harvesting like blood of sargeras, sanguicell and hydrocore are from where else, instances....

Oh I know they are returning paragons, but to get those you need to be EXALTED..the daily ones have been removed.

Set static rewards are not an incentive. On Horde side one of them is a 355 azerite gear cache (RNG so cant be targeted as to which slot) and the other reward is 1000 azerite.

The actual number of world quests per day has been nerfed heavily, the flight points still have you hoofing it over terrain because no one thought to put a flight point in the middle of a zone, the rewards themselves are 325 gear that doesnt scale up after you get past them, making those quest rewards scrapper fodder and little else.

Cloth is a biggie, you used to able to get that out in the world, now its mainly for tailors, anyone else gets one here one there.

Legion had a massive slew of world content and class based content to keep everyone busy, all tied to our artifact weapons which were done away with....along with all the content and lore and class quests.

No falcosaur system, the pet battles are monotonous and boring, even after grinding rep to exalted you STILL need hundreds of pet charms doled out in a scant few world quests a day, why these cant be had for gold is beyond me, some days there are none at all, the gear from rep vendors is useless as you outgear it by the time you can actually use it.

We've had weapon world quests rewards...that arent spec specific, great I have a 340 wand...now where do I get the offhand from. My ret pally gets a one handed sword...no shield?

We also cant fly which adds loads of "travel time".

Hell Id even consider levelling a lowbie alt as an alternative, but after the 7.3.5 changes to levelling?

Forget it.

In brief: Legion provided an alternate gearing path outside of instances and a MASSIVE wealth of content that promoted outer world participation and got people out in the world.

I racked up over ten thousand world quests and was happy with it, it got me out and abut every single day, rather than sitting in a city waiting for a queue to pop.

Now? Im hard pressed to find a reason to LOG IN. I have friends who havent logged in for a month. Longer.

Some are just plain gone.

I want to ask: what was wrong with Legions outer world system? Why is world content so lacklustre?

Isnt the idea to get people OUT into the world?

"If you dont raid pvp or do mythics there is nothing for you"

Why?
11/07/2018 11:36 PMPosted by Aehl
This is the WOD model again, where all the gear etc is in instances and outer world is "unimportant"

None of my gear comes from instances and I am already 357 ilvl.
11/07/2018 11:34 PMPosted by Azivalla
So, then World Quests aren't ruining WoW. You just want more to do. That's fair, but doesn't really mesh with your original topic. World Quests make the open world worth traveling. I mean, what literally else can they do besides quests?

I mean I didn't mind world quests in Legion because I was always leveling/powering up my artifact weapon, which felt bad in the start but it got better. Plus suramar was just so amazing to me, and the world quests in that zone were unique (especially with the withered training). In BFA, it's really not that interesting. And when world quests aren't interesting, there's not much else to do. So what could they do? - Idk, i'm no developer, but i'd really like it if they did something to make world quests more interesting, not just another chore.
WQs are fine, but I'd like to see more ways of getting rep added to them.
but i'd really like it if they did something to make world quests more interesting, not just another chore.

But no matter how interesting it would be, a chore is still a chore. We do a routine task every day. It will always be the same. You can ride a roller coaster 100 times and you'll get bored. It is the nature of repeatable content. It just won't be fresh forever, no matter how many new coats of paint you put on it. People just have to accept that and not assume it is Blizzard who is doing something wrong.
11/07/2018 11:45 PMPosted by Azivalla
but i'd really like it if they did something to make world quests more interesting, not just another chore.

But no matter how interesting it would be, a chore is still a chore. We do a routine task every day. It will always be the same. You can ride a roller coaster 100 times and you'll get bored. It is the nature of repeatable content. It just won't be fresh forever, no matter how many new coats of paint you put on it. People just have to accept that and not assume it is Blizzard who is doing something wrong.

I think it is because nothing changes, no story unfolds with these rep grinds. It is in many ways kind of going back to the BC era of doing dailies, even a bit early Wrath. It sucks because it did feel like these stories were being told and the areas around the quest hubs would change with some of these faction grinds.
Are you an alchemist this expansion? Because I do a lot of exploring when I gather herbs. And I think this is largely another reason why there is less reason to explore because outside of alchemy most professions are fairly lack luster this expansion, and in turn people are not out gathering resources as much as they would in the past. If professions were more lucrative and enticing as they were in the past then I'd this would make a big difference too.

Aside that, I'm not quite getting your reference to BC and WotLK? I mean people in general just hanged out in Shattarath and Dalaran (Laglaran) or at specific little hubs like ICC or the PVP zones of BC. But generally people AFKed at sanctuaries and capitals.
Seems to me like the OP just wants more stuff to do which would be nice.

The world quest hate is misplaced though, really they are fine. Blizzard could up the gold rewards on them since they reward pitiful amounts of gold. If they didn't exist everyone would be back to afking in cities and only leaving to raid or gather mats.

Also If I had flight I would leave the city more because I would be able to avoid obnoxious packs of trash mobs like love to dismount me. In addition, I would not have to worry about the pathways that the devs design just to increase time /played.
Because I do a lot of exploring when I gather herbs

Magilou

For the last week I dont go out herbing.

"Target is tapped" "You cant loot that now" "There is no loot" Nodes phasing out as soon as you get to them and then reappearing when you move away.

Nodes that you gather on and all of a sudden it phases out and you have nothing.

Nodes where there is no one around and it vanishes just as you see it.

And dont get me STARTED on anchor weed. Back in Legion I could harvest starlight rose form anywhere in Suramar for my alch, you can spend an hour in the world and find no anchor weed at all.

I miss Suramar.