I'm quitting

General Discussion
...smoking, for good this time. Turns out I've got a kid on the way now so I need to make sure I stick around for a fair few more years.

See y'all in game, I'm not going anywhere.
g...grats?
Can I have your gol....errr I mean cigs?
11/09/2018 04:48 AMPosted by Sorvos
...smoking, for good this time. Turns out I've got a kid on the way now so I need to make sure I stick around for a fair few more years.

Woo, congratulations! And good luck with the smoking. It's a damn good reason to quit.
Good luck. And congrats on the upcoming little one :)
i quit over 10 years ago, and i still get cravings every once and a while. good luck to you
I quit the day before my daughter was born almost two years ago, although, I started again when I got a new job, and literally everyone there smokes. It's a hard habit to break. My suggestions are, no more smoking in the car, then don't smoke after meals, then cut it out while drinking. If you do that, all of the in between should go easier. I've done that and have cut down to a pack a week at this point. Good luck.

P.S. The gum helped a lot too, and I eventually didn't mind the mint/ black pepper taste.
smart move dude. Deserves an upvote.
Congratulations on the little one! You can definitely quit, it's worth it!
Good luck and congrats on the little one!
Be strong for your new family, show them cigs who’s boss!
:)

Unless you are with a woman named Mary I don't believe you. Most virgins don't have kids.
Find a habit to replace a habit. Walking, working out, gaming, etc... Most of the quitting process is taking your mind off it. I smoked 2 packs a day for 15 years. I quit cold turkey. After about a week the urges go away but you feel anxious because your lungs don't know what to do. Stay busy and it will pass in no time.
i quit for a good Year but got pulled back in too it aka Blizzard Reminds me of a woman That you Love hate at the same time you kill a boss go out for a smoke it's that bad for me.
11/09/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Remela

Nasty! they are the worst smelling things in this world. I wish they were banned.

OP congrats and I hope you quit, your wife/gf / baby and your computer will thank you.
Pain in the keester doing it cold turkey, speaking from experience here.
11/09/2018 05:22 AMPosted by Holyrak
11/09/2018 04:51 AMPosted by Remela

Nasty! they are the worst smelling things in this world. I wish they were banned.

I don’t smoke either :P
I have 3 kids now, I quit when I had my first child 12 years ago and never looked back. First year is the worst.
Try the patch. It really does work. I smoked for 26 years; quit 18 years ago. Got to the second round of patches (goes from large->medium->small) and found that half the time I was forgetting to put one on. You can do this!

and grats on the wee one

Good for you!

I did the same a few years back.
That is fantastic!

I smoked well over half my life and I have been nicotine free for.. (gotta go get my app).. 2 years, 6 months, 24 days, 8 hours 2 minutes and 55 seconds (I love this app!) I used an app called Smoke Free it tracks everything from money saved to heart attack risks. It is/was free but you can get extra bits by paying I think it was 2.99. Totally worth it. It is very helpful in tracking gains and progress.

I do not miss smoking at all, not in the slightest.

My advice you didn't ask for but will get anyway:

Mindset is EVERYTHING. If you look at it as something you are giving up it will be so much harder. Make a list of everything you will be gaining.

Quit cold turkey. It's the fastest way to get the toxins out and once they are out the cravings drop drastically. Treat it like the addiction that it is. Remember that craving pass but they pass faster when you put your mind on something else when they pop up.

When you start to feel on edge grab some oj to raise your blood sugar. If you smoked nonmenthol keep cinnamon candy on hand and if you smoked menthol keep mints on hand. Expect to gain 10 lbs at first but you'll be more energetic and able to lose that no problem.

Celebrate your victories. one day, one week 2 weeks, count them down and be proud.

You will have people say it is ok to slip..It isn't. If you go into it with the mind set that a slip is ok then you are already making excuses for yourself. You have to be demanding of yourself in this in order to stop being a slave to it. Anytime you think you might slip ask yourself if it is worth having to start all over. Once you get past the first 72 hours (if you do cold turkey) you have the physical part beat. After that it's all mental.

Not only can you do this but if you are serious about doing it you will do it.