Enhancement Shaman PTR Changes

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Prev 1 2 3 15 Next
I was just starting to get mad about enh again, thank you blessed blue jesus

edit:
I’d still like to see Primal Primer baked into or made a talent, it could create situations where it’s more wise to dump mael on Lava Lash than to continue spamming Stormstrike, and your constant building of stacks means during SS drought you’re still building up a powerful maelstrom dump which rounds out the maelstrom overflow a little more

hope to see more changes before 8.1 drop
11/09/2018 05:53 PMPosted by Terminus
<span class="truncated">...</span>You will never get any rework mid-expansion.

NEVER. If you dislike the current gameplay, change spec/class or suffer.

There is no sign for an Enhancement rework in BfA.

You know, besides them saying that Shaman would be getting reworked in 8.1 for what, 8 months now?
Sure.

See this blue post? It's said rework.

Go nuts.
Thanks for the post, this communication is highly valuable for the Enhancement players since we dont get this much. I hope this trend continues in the future so we can have a real conversation with 2 parts involved in it.

Now, gameplay-wise, my feedback:
1- I like the buffs to all those talents because they were super under-performing and choosing them was a waste. Let's hope that the number's tuning help the choices according to situations.
2- I dont like the nerfs to Lightning Shield or Forceful Winds. While FW is pretty passive and I can live with the nerf, the extra maelstrom generation of LS was welcome in AoE fights to use more Lava Lash in you didnt get Stormbringer procs when you use Crash Lightning.
3- While the talent changes can give more diversity in choices depending of the type of content you are doing, it doesnt solve the problem that many talents are pretty much the same and they will all fall into a spreadsheet about performance.

Things I would like added:
- I would like to see talents like Healing Rain for Enhancement because it was very useful in low mobility fights like Vectis or Zul. Maybe that ability could return as baseline to help the "raid utility" that Enhancement lacks right now. Or maybe Spirit Link Totem to all Shamans to have that as utility raid CD.
- Shamanism as baseline ability giving 20% haste. Ancestral Resonance working with Shamanism. This could also work as a Raid utility buff and also as a personal damage cooldown with better gameplay. You could use it on your fellow DPS in add burngin phases or to your Resto Druids in heavy healing phases. Still it would be nice to have that extra pump in damage to play and put in good use the Ancestral Resonance trait that is very useless in PvE right now.

Also, I've seen many PTR change notes in MMO Champion regarding PvP and many talents reworked and others removed. Why those changes werent listed here? They were discarded? Can we have some light on that?

Thanks for the post Nimox.

You know, besides them saying that Shaman would be getting reworked in 8.1 for what, 8 months now?
Sure.

See this blue post? It's said rework.

Go nuts.

That is why it is bull. This isn't a rework, this is them fixing the talents that were SEVERELY undertuned to begin with and hoping we don't notice that there is literally nothing being reworked.
And I thought the Elemental changes were shallow. Wow.
I'm a sad panda.
I've never even played shaman and these changes just read off as being pointless numerical changes that are there for the sake of saying "Hey look we actually did something " kind of like the warrior change with ignore pain.

Weee..1 line of text and nothing else, guess shamans have us beat, they at least got a paragraph to read haha.
I was hoping Feral Lunge would get a reduced cooldown and some PvP talent reworks.
Hey it really sucks having 1500 haste not counting RA and over 1000 mastery and getting 0 stormbringer procs during bloodlust, any chance you could do something about that?
Summary:
Tier 1: Nerfed the talent everyone uses. Buffed one of the two that people don't use.
Tier 2: Nerfed the talent people use. Buffed the two people don't use.
Tier 3: No change
Tier 4: Buffed the two talents that people don't use.
Tier 5: no change
Tier 6: buffed the two talents that people don't use.
tier 7: No change.
In addition:
Combined the top two PVP talents into one talent. The effects are now exclusive depending on opponent positioning rather than both activating as before.

+5% damage given after all of this.

TL;DR
The entire thing is a nerf. It's only a rework in the sense that you'll probably end up using different talents in 8.1 than you did in 8.0.

Feels like they ran out of time again.
These changes are hopefully in the right direction, but one thing bugs me the most: how about the context and direction for the spec? For Elemental and Enhancement, the changes were just dropped in a thread without any greater design vision being shared for what the devs want these specs to do and how these changes help the specs achieve those goals. The Elemental and Enhancement Shaman "niche" that Ion mentioned isn't very strong or clear (i.e. in raids and Mythic +) has not been mentioned once.

Meanwhile, Shadow Priest got a very nice write up calling out the issues with the spec and how each and every talent and ability change tied the design together: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769647823?page=1

And Marksmanship Hunter had it very clearly spelled out that in PvE and PvP the spec is meant to be able to create and maintain distance against its targets: https://us.battle.net/forums/en/wow/topic/20769707637?page=1

What is the goal of the changes for DPS Shamans? What niche/fantasy/role are they supposed to fill in PvP and PvE? What are they supposed to bring to the table that makes group leaders have to consider in their team composition decision?
11/09/2018 05:50 PMPosted by Lothain
11/09/2018 05:43 PMPosted by Slimmjim
This does not feel like a rework for the expansion level expectations. This feels like a temporary bandaid fix to suffice until the next round of of potential changes.
You will never get any rework mid-expansion.

NEVER. If you dislike the current gameplay, change spec/class or suffer.

There is no sign for an Enhancement rework in BfA.

I think you need to take a quick old look at Feral's talent changes. That is a mid expansion rework level talent change that will shift their damage profile. That's the kind of thing the Enhancement tree needs, not just numbers thrown around at talents that are so undertuned that they need 40-50% buffs to make them even remotely considered as a choice.
Number tweaking? Is that the solution?
Here I was, hoping/expecting mechanical changes.. jesus
It's not like you guys needed more thorough feedback
11/09/2018 06:21 PMPosted by Lysjana
Number tweaking? Is that the solution?
Here I was, hoping/expecting mechanical changes.. jesus
It's not like you guys needed more thorough feedback

yeah its funny how we keep being told they're listening to feedback, then we get this.
So if Hailstorm is getting buffed to 4.5% ap per hit, we have to hit 20 times just to match the damage of searing assault (90% of ap per flametongue cast), which doesn't cost 20 maelstrom or require staying on the target the entire time. Generally you flametongue more frequently than every 16s due to dead GCDs when you don't get lots of procs

But hey it'll give us 100ish mastery from that azerite power I guess
11/09/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Nimox
In an upcoming Public Test Realm (PTR) build, several changes are coming for Enhancement Shamans.

We’re adjusting the following talents:
  • Boulderfist damage bonus increased to 35%.
  • Lightning Shield will no longer generate any bonus Maelstrom when the Lightning Shield overcharges.
  • Landslide changed to a 40% proc chance.
  • Forceful Winds reduced from 100% per stack to 80% per stack.
  • Totem Mastery: the Storm Totem benefit increased from 5% to 10%.
  • Hailstorm’s damage increased by 50%.
  • Overcharge now causes a 9 second cooldown to Lightning Bolt, down from 12 seconds.
  • Fury of Air damage increased by 40%.
  • Crashing Storm damage increased by 40%.

Lightning Shield and Forceful Winds are both popular talents right now, and we don’t want to reduce Enhancement’s overall damage with changes to those two talents, so additionally:
  • The damage done by all Enhancement abilities increased by 5%.

The changes above should help make the different choices on many talent rows much more competitive with each other.

In addition to these changes above, we’re adjusting how many tooltips are generated. This may cause some websites to show that the damage or healing of almost every single Enhancement ability has changed. Do not panic; we are not lowering all of your damage and healing! This will be a behind-the-scenes data adjustment only.

Thank you for testing with us on the PTR!

Im glad you guys finally got around to doing some tuning that could of been done in a few hours and not 4 months later in the expansion.

This does not fix a single rotation issue.

Rockbiter does very low damage and feels useless most of the time , itleast make the 40% damage storm strike proc talent baseline and add another talent in its place.

Flametounge also feels very useless and needs a rework.

The slow on frost brand needs to be increased as it usually falls off before you can reach your target in pvp.

The mana cost on healing surge needs to be reduced by 50% when using maelstrom to heal as you will go oom in 4 casts.
Go play some pvp and you will see how horrible it feels to purge twice, heal twice and be completely oom with the worse mana regen in the game now.

As far as over capping maelstrom that never happens as i always hit a lava lash before im capped even if i have a storm strike proc.

Class design overall has been horrible this expansion how can you dev's be happy with how it is now? Every expansion before wod was better than this.

You need to hire more devs to work on class design, new content doesn't matter if class design sucks.
More changes that could have been pushed with a hotfix, wow.
I can't believe I was expecting actual changes lol. Seriously nothing even mentioned about stormbringer? How the spec is 100% rng? We need mechanical changes as was even pointed out by the lead game designer in a q&a. Please just revert it to pre-legion if you aren't even gonna bother changing anything.

We've been waiting since July for talent tuning? This feels like the band-aid fixes the spec was promised BEFORE 8.1. I'm actually convinced blizzard is just trolling shamans at this point.
11/09/2018 06:11 PMPosted by Smush

Combined the top two PVP talents into one talent. The effects are now exclusive depending on opponent positioning rather than both activating as before.

[/quote]

Nice to see someone else noticed this. Not looking foward to being the bottom of the meters in RBGs again.