Enhancement Shaman PTR Changes

Battle for Azeroth Items and Classes
Prev 1 3 4 5 15 Next
11/09/2018 07:11 PMPosted by Zandozan
Get a grip guys. Talent balancing was needed. Is it all that we need? No. Is it frustrating waiting this long for anything? Yes. Try to have a conversation at least though and not just vent.

Stormstrike rng
overcapping maelstrom

What other changes would you like to see?

I mean, I get this sentiment, but to an extent it's not really doable to suggest direct changes because often a targetted suggestion basically becomes a no-go area from past experience; the goal is to lead the horse to water and hope they drink.

All of the feedback given since Beta has outlined Enhancement's primary failings in excruciating detail, so what I personally want at least is something to address that.
These changes are all - fine - just 4 months too late. These are all changes that, ideally, should have been made before BFA went live, then when they weren't, the first 4 weeks after raid data was available. None of these changes should have taken 120(!) days of development to implement. Ion famously mentioned in a QA that there were some classes that would have to wait for a later patch to address. While enhance doesn't need an entire rework, these changes don't address any underlying problems with the spec.

Ion mentioned enhance being 2-3% behind at Blizzcon. DAMAGE IS NOT THE ISSUE. The issue is a lack of player agency over maintaining our resources and having a meaningful way both to generate and convert it into damage. Until patch notes come forward that state anything regarding maelstrom cost changes or increasing maximum maelstorm, this WILL be the sort of responses you should look forward to.

Utility is another area of great concern. A minimal effort way to address this is to make Windrush totem BASELINE for all enhancement shaman, then make a talent that reduces its CD by 60 seconds and increases its range akin to the changes made to stampeding roar for guardian druids. Low hanging fruit. The return of Windwall totem as a short duration silence field is another. There's long been a question of enhancement's "niche." Jack-of-all trades of utility spells that are slightly weaker than other classes would certainly be an unexplored niche that gets enhance back to its roots of "enhancing" its party without penalizing the shaman's damage or being a boring fire and forget ability like stormlash totem. "We're missing x, y and z utility. Lets just pick up an enhancement shaman to cover our bases" would go a LONG way to removing the shaman's stigma throughout the greater Warcraft community.

L90 talent changes will do very little. Both Crashing Storm and Fury of Air functionally fulfill the same roll - sustained aoe - the question of which is better will be answered in an afternoon via sims and one talent will be deemed "the better choice," the other left to rot. EASY fix? Forgo the 40% damage buff to fury of air and instead roll Smoldering Heart's effect into it. NOW you have a player question of "do I want, sustained AOE (crash) VS rng AOE (FOA) + boost in single target VS on command burst AOE (sundering)." Want bonus points with the community? Slightly increase Sundering's area of effect and turn it into a grouping tool via sigil of chains/massgrip - leave its damage alone. Party speed boost AND a grouping mechanism? We might see enhancement representation in the MDI just yet.

Hailstorm and Overcharge changes are steps in the right direction, math will tell if they're enough, but buffing overcharge (via damage or cdr) will not make it FEEL any better unless the animation is also changed. Rename it to Stormblast, bring back the Stormblast animation. The more maelstrom it consumes, the more Stormblast-y it becomes. While in Ascendance, Stormblast has no cooldown. NOW ascendance has a way to bleed off excess maelstrom and we're beginning to address some of the real issues with the spec.

A final thought on enhancement is one of rewarding good play. It's an idea that the dev team have played with multiple different ways: Sephuz's Secret, kicking/purging on a DH grants resources, mages spellsteal STEALS the buff they remove, and feral received a pvp trait that gives CDR on successful skullbash. Enhance has access to purge and kick, but neither feel rewarding. In fact, on instances of Zul, purge duty can often feel like a punishment, spending multiple GCDS doing necessary mechanics at the oppurnity cost of your ENTIRE rotation (s/o to any shaman who've done this then been OOM and couldn't ALSO heal them-self afterward). In an ideal world, some perk would be added that increases shaman damage by 10% for each successful purge, windshear reduces the cooldown of Feral Spirits by 10 seconds, cleansing friendly targets grants 50% increased critical strike damage to enhancement baseline kit, but turning any one of those into a talent or azerite trait would be interesting. These are the kinds of meaningful changes that are actually engaging to play and make use of.

Thanks for the changes. But please, keep them coming.
11/09/2018 07:11 PMPosted by Zandozan
Get a grip guys. Talent balancing was needed. Is it all that we need? No. Is it frustrating waiting this long for anything? Yes. Try to have a conversation at least though and not just vent.

Stormstrike rng
overcapping maelstrom

What other changes would you like to see?

The two problems you listed have been given as feedback BACK IN BETA.

We're now hitting a MAJOR patch. It's been six month repeating the same thing over and over.
Overcharge: I don't use it and won't because I'd lose my fast repeat-casting LB pulling tool.

How about this instead:
Below 40 Maelstrom: LB works the way it does now, Low damage 40 yard pull only, GCD or faster.
Above 40 Maelstrom: Overcharge damage, and the 8 second CD. This way, we still have our pulling tool 90% of the time, and the occasional big ranged hit.

Still, I'm surprised to see any Enhance changes.. We'll have to see how they work out, and if it's enough to erase the Enhance stigma..
so glad I didn't resub lol wtf?

Still seems like Enh will be a very very bad version of DH or Rogue.

P.S. Why didn't you increase survibility? You even made Shadow Priest tankier than Enh.
These are just simple number tuning fixes that can be done via tuesday reset or hotfix imao.

I still don't see a reason why I should bring an enhancement shaman to my group.

To be fair I guess, enhancement's only strength is turbo cleave, otherwise it's pointless in overall content.
Are you guys joking? The issues are with the gameplay not so much the numbers. maelstrom gets capped so quickly.
11/09/2018 05:13 PMPosted by Nimox
In an upcoming Public Test Realm (PTR) build, several changes are coming for Enhancement Shamans.

We’re adjusting the following talents:
  • Boulderfist damage bonus increased to 35%.
  • Lightning Shield will no longer generate any bonus Maelstrom when the Lightning Shield overcharges.
  • Landslide changed to a 40% proc chance.
  • Forceful Winds reduced from 100% per stack to 80% per stack.
  • Totem Mastery: the Storm Totem benefit increased from 5% to 10%.
  • Hailstorm’s damage increased by 50%.
  • Overcharge now causes a 9 second cooldown to Lightning Bolt, down from 12 seconds.
  • Fury of Air damage increased by 40%.
  • Crashing Storm damage increased by 40%.

Lightning Shield and Forceful Winds are both popular talents right now, and we don’t want to reduce Enhancement’s overall damage with changes to those two talents, so additionally:
  • The damage done by all Enhancement abilities increased by 5%.

The changes above should help make the different choices on many talent rows much more competitive with each other.

In addition to these changes above, we’re adjusting how many tooltips are generated. This may cause some websites to show that the damage or healing of almost every single Enhancement ability has changed. Do not panic; we are not lowering all of your damage and healing! This will be a behind-the-scenes data adjustment only.

Thank you for testing with us on the PTR!

This does NOT make me want to go back to playing my shaman.

My damage output needs tuning, yes - but what would help even more is to smooth out maelstrom increases and make stormstrike chains more predictable. Increasing the maelstrom cap will help some.
I've been waiting for the moment to play a shaman again since start of legion because I hated the new gameplay, seems I'll have to wait until next expansion again. I feel bad for all of you shaman mains really. Yet again Blizzard ignoring the enormous feedback given.

Blizzard "we love feedback"
This simple numbers tuning could've happened literally 2+ months ago in a hotfix on a Tuesday morning. Hailstorm/Boulderfist I doubt will get any use still.

You gutted our mana regen and healing done in Pvp, it should've been only healing done. Revert the mana regen nerf so we can actually purge and cast Ghost Wolf. Now you are removing Ride the Lightning and Forked Lightning and combining them so that only one procs. Defensive abilities are utterly poor still. Will we get new Pvp talents to make up for the ones you took? Give us Shamanistic Rage back in that case.

For the love of god give us a DPS cooldown baseline (Ascendance) or make Feral Spirits actually do respectable damage as in its current state the damage from them is not noticeable.

Combine Flametongue and Frostbrand, casting both so often is extremely annoying and both do horrible damage. At least increase the snare duration to more than 3 seconds on Frostbrand.

Make hitting Lava Lash actually worth it. Feral Lunge should be baseline.

Waiting this long for these minuscule changes when people have given you tons of feedback since beta is mindblowing.
Soooo.... No fixes to the rotation or the problems with the mechanics of the spec?
11/09/2018 07:57 PMPosted by Ahhira
These changes are all - fine - just 4 months too late. These are all changes that, ideally, should have been made before BFA went live, then when they weren't, the first 4 weeks after raid data was available. None of these changes should have taken 120(!) days of development to implement. Ion famously mentioned in a QA that there were some classes that would have to wait for a later patch to address. While enhance doesn't need an entire rework, these changes don't address any underlying problems with the spec.

Ion mentioned enhance being 2-3% behind at Blizzcon. DAMAGE IS NOT THE ISSUE. The issue is a lack of player agency over maintaining our resources and having a meaningful way both to generate and convert it into damage. Until patch notes come forward that state anything regarding maelstrom cost changes or increasing maximum maelstorm, this WILL be the sort of responses you should look forward to.

Utility is another area of great concern. A minimal effort way to address this is to make Windrush totem BASELINE for all enhancement shaman, then make a talent that reduces its CD by 60 seconds and increases its range akin to the changes made to stampeding roar for guardian druids. Low hanging fruit.

L90 talent changes will do very little. Both Crashing Storm and Fury of Air functionally fulfill the same roll - sustained aoe - the question of which is better will be answered in an afternoon via sims and one talent will be deemed "the better choice," the other left to rot. EASY fix? Forgo the 40% damage buff to fury of air and instead roll Smoldering Heart's effect into it. NOW you have a player question of "do I want, sustained AOE (crash) vs rng AOE (FOA) + boost in single target vs on command burst AOE (sundering)." Want bonus points with the community? Slightly increase Sundering's area of effect and turn it into a grouping tool via sigil of chains/massgrip- leave its damage alone. Party speed boost AND a grouping mechanism? We might just see enhancement representation in the MDI just yet.

Hailstorm and Overcharge changes are steps in the right direction, math will tell if they're enough, but buffing overcharge (via damage or cdr) will not make it FEEL any better unless the animation is also changed. Rename it to Stormblast, bring back the Stormblast animation. The more maelstrom it consumes, the more Stormblast-y it becomes. While in Ascendance, Stormblast has no cooldown. NOW ascendance has a way to bleed off excess maelstrom and we're beginning to address some of the real issues with the spec.

Thanks for the changes. But please, keep them coming.

thanks for this, very well said and good suggestions.
When responding to Elemental's frustrations, Ion stated you'd do a better job of communicating what the strengths and weaknesses of a spec are supposed to be.

What is the strength of enhancement supposed to be? Why are DH's and rogues just objectively better at pretty much everything? These changes balance talents a bit but they don't really address that.
I really want to be positive, because we finally got a blue post after half a year of waiting for something... but this is honestly awful. It addresses exactly zero of the mechanical issues that make the spec feel so bad to play right now.

We desperately need a higher maelstrom cap, a way to manually proc Stormbringer, maelstrom costs reworked, or literally any form of positive mechanical changes. Number buffs to talents that already aren't fun isn't going to help.
The main problem for me is that the shaman dps specs have no defined niche. There is no reason to take ele over any other caster, nor is there a reason to take enh over any other melee. They've stated in the past, in regards to Ele's mobility, that every class needs strengths and weaknesses, but they have yet to define what strengths shamans have or are supposed to have. They need to tell us what they envision for this class, because as it stands now it seems they don't know what to do with it.
Why why WHY won't you just increased our damn maelstrom cap? If this is your idea of fixing the spec, I hate to see what you have planned for Resto.

Looks like my Shaman is staying bench.
dOnT yOu GuYs HaVe ShAmAnS
This is what an intern came up with late Friday afternoon after hearing all the outrage about the lack of Enhance feedback.

Also 40+% buffs? How did Blizzard let it get to that magnitude?
I'm confused, what part of this required 4+ months and why isn't this just being rolled out (minus the tooltip part) on Tuesday?

Lightning Shield is having its Maelstrom generation removed, why it still in a row with two other talents used to enhance either your generation or reduce your usage of maelstrom? (see also, Landslide competing against two different Maelstrom and Damage boosting talents while being... just a damage boosting talent.)

Things I'd Like To See (Part whatever for this thread):
-Maelstrom Cap Increase, seriously, you even did this for Havoc DHs already, why not us too in a similar situation?
-An "Enhanced Pyrotechnics" style effect for Stormstrike resets. You guys have correctly realized that Fire Mage needs something to make sure they get their crits that fuel their Pyroblasts so that bad gear or bad luck doesn't completely floor their DPS. Meanwhile, we're still stuck with bad gear and bad luck completely flooring our DPS.
This does not address the mechanical deficiencies that make the spec less fun to play than it was in previous versions. I am not seeing any changes that address the rate of maelstrom gain which is creating a feast or famine playstyle.

That might not even properly communicate the issue. It isn't an all you can eat type feast, it is a throw the leftovers in the garbage because the fridge is full feast. These are all small tuning items that we normally expect in larger hot fixes, not the large fixes we have to wait a patch for.